24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Here's the one:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/TOD ... on&index=1

Now, in my experience, onboard electronics has been tossing rear-end trying to record in the past. One time I used a technique that had me staying very still and using a mic near the neck and another on the body. Yeah, it's probably a can of worms getting this stuff, but I'm really missing that element for recording so I figured I'd reach out and see if I can get some tips.. If it's that model, WHO KNOWS when it will be in stock :roll: so I've got time to sort it and get some info.

Not super interested in YouTube vids, mostly clickbait and WAY too much yikity yak.

Oh, I guess mic type is a good idea too? Not willing to cough up too much coin though.

Bye......:roll:
by Jemusic on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:12 pm
Firstly its a nylon string guitar and its a solid body with a pickup system. (The guitar wont make any sound really)

While these pickup systems are pretty good they are still not quite as nice as a full acoustic instrument being recorded with a microphone. The pickup systems are a godsend live for sure but in the studio where you have the luxury of a recording space and a mic you will still always get a more natural result that way.

Are you after the nylon sound or were you thinking of a steel string acoustic perhaps.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by stephenboyke1 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:31 pm
A real acoustic guitar (not the one you are looking at) will get you much closer to real acoustic guitar sonics and behavior. In that price range, look at the Eastman brand.

In terms of microphones, there are many to choose from. If you are recording in mono, a single small diaphragm condenser is appropriate. Consider an Oktava MC-012 with a cardioid capsule.
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:08 pm
Hmmmmmmmmm, yeah, I guess "that" guitar probably wouldn't be the best to record with mics after all.

Eastman huh? I'll look into that and the mics.

Gee, you can really tell I'm super experienced in this arena :roll:

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:30 pm
So I was just thinking, there were two reasons why I was interested in that guitar. Though I obviously don't think bass fingering is like guitar fingering for the right hand, I'm not affraid of learning the fingerstyle method. Also, I thought a nylon string might sound more interesting than a steel string.

I guess too that nylon strings are easier on the left hand than steel strings (it's been about 22 years since I've owned/played and acoustic guitar)

But that Taylor I had sounded amazing acoustically, but the electronics were smelly at best :lol: Just horrible!

I guess the next step is to go down to GC (or we do have a nice little shop called "strum shop" and fool around with what they have and see if I can get a better idea). I'm just so used to the "order online" method :roll: Plus, my playing on acoustic IS going to suck musty lemons, and I don't really want anyone to hear me right now while I'm getting into this ;)

Mics: Here is the mic used "back in the day" for at least the neck joint:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/RODE/NT2-A ... 7078114.gc (My god, how they have gone up!)

It was considered at the time to be killer, especially for the price.

by Jemusic on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:02 pm
In terms of mics I would be go for a larger diaphragm condenser not a small diaphragm. Reason is you will get a nicer bottom end sound with a larger diaphragm. The top end will always be present due to the mic being condenser in the first place. Yes any Rode (Australian) Mic will be excellent. Even the cheaper NT1a will do a fine job.

Nylon guitars are rather excellent and versatile for sure. I have produced some full on rock music with nylon guitars in the mix and they cut through rather well for some reason. But they do have that classical nylon sound. If its a more normal rhythm/lead acoustic sound you are after then the steel string is the way to go. You can always put lighter gauge strings on it too to make easier for your left hand.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by klypeman on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:13 pm
I use these : https://www.uaudio.com/microphones/sp-1 ... hones.html
I like the results and that they’re petit.
That said on nylon your NT2A should give you the bottom and even a SM 57 can do nice things on the board.
(I’m a live guy mostly and use Sennheiser’s 451 or DPA 4099 (I think) at work)
Don’t know if they are in your price range.
Good luck 🤞

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:32 pm
All the things you guys have mentioned are not unreasonably priced in my opinion.

Also, some great suggestions/information.

Ok, so in the brief time since my last post, I went down to GC. (it's really close) WOW! :lol: What a clusterbleep! They have a fantastic room/s but what a bunch garbage for the most part. The "real" room only had one guitar that wasn't locked. It was a Martin. Sounded like cardboard :lol: It was horrible, but it did have a nice neck. So some of the other brief observations: This is NOT going to be a "buy online" and be happy scenario. They are just not like electrics in that way at all. Some sounded really good, but the back of the neck was too sticky. Some had terrific action, but were not comfortable in other ways.

Like I said, can o' worms. Mics, meh, I'll get something good or maybe even killer, but the guitars......er......um.....yeah, I'm worried about that.

My stable (really too many) basses and guitar are fantastic largely. I'm killer with a set up. Maybe when it's not the weekend I'll have better luck with the little stum shop where that is what they cater too. And I might be in luck financially. I have a banjo that was dad's before he passed on consignment. It's worth on the street around 2k. Maybe there will be a way to do some sort of swap. Not overly optimistic, but it's an interesting thought.

by Jemusic on Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:37 pm
I think the best way to buy a guitar is to go to a guitar shop. (consider the smaller more boutique ones as well as they might have just the perfect guitar) You need to check the sound and feel. Something that is not so easy with on line purchases.

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 pm
Agreed. Sigh, this is "sacatomatoes" .... not a Meca in that department :roll:

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:51 am
One thing I just noticed looking at nylons: They are MUCH wider necks :thumbdown: I don't think I could play them. I think I'll pass.

In searching for others, this one popped out to me:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -and-sides

Not sure of country of origin yet, don't care for Indonesian guitars I've had. South Korea has been very good. Mexico....a little on the MEH side. USA is iffy, Japanese have been by far the most consistent and well finished. I don't think I've ever had anything from another country, can't remember.

by BobF on Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:41 am
Mexico. Tecate Taylor facility

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:46 am
Thanks! Yeah, that might work.

by MisterE on Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:02 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteThanks! Yeah, that might work.

As based on your own confessions of guitar and mic ignorance there's a high likelihood you may have to go through several of them before you settle on ones you'll keep for the long haul, you may want to consider buying used. Even if you don't like meeting individuals and prefer to buy from retailers, Guitar Center also sells used guitars, and in fact their pricing on used ones on their web site is pretty favorable in the overall scheme of things.

Take one of the aforementioned suggestions, a Mexican Taylor. Once one that costs say $1200 new becomes one that sells for say $800 used, well, you can always resell it for that same $800 or awfully close to it. If you bought it new and didn't return it within 30 days -- which might still cost you something in shipping or restocking fees -- you're out that $400. Buying used gives you increased flexibility. And there are umpteen thousands of perfectly great used Taylors that have barely been played on the resale market right now. As for the warranty you won't have, well Taylor has had construction dialed in forever; it's rare when anyone needs to do more than a setup on them given good humidity control.

Regarding small vs large diaphragm mics, the smaller ones are generally designed to be used in stereo pairs, which makes them twice as expensive and adds an element of complexity for someone unused to recording acoustics -- without necessarily sounding "better" unless you're recording a solo acoustic guitar album which may benefit from extra "dimensionality."

Regarding Rode mics as being particularly outstanding for capturing acoustic guitar, well I've owned the best one they ever made, the original Classic, which was in fact outstanding on acoustic but isn't made any more and would be prohibitively expsensive if it was. I still own an NTV (predecessor to the NTK which isn't as well specced) with a holy grail NOS tube, and while I adore it for vocals, it's not the most forgiving on acoustic guitar. My pick for someone who doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg and wants a mic that's forgiving (meaning you don't have to place it in exactly the dead center of a sweet spot) and competes with the higher end Rodes is a Blue Baby Bottle. I have an original Latvian one which cost about $300; the newer USA/China ones I'd assume are close enough. In the next price tier ($600ish), Ear Trumpet Labs' Edwina is really really forgiving and produces excellent results -- in addition to looking fascinating. That said, the Blue mic is pretty much just as good for a lot less.

Alternatively, in 2023 there are quite a few guitar samples and strumming simulations out there which might get the job done for you easier than the real things, particularly since it doesn't sound like you're necessarily going to be featuring the guitar.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by klypeman on Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:10 am
The Taylor western 114ce is one of the guitars I played the most when I worked in a guitar shop years ago, mostly because it was one I could buy if tempted overly, hehe.
I played it without amplifying and think that gives you what you really need hear when deciding.
The other guys in the shop liked the internal piezoelectric system though.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:29 am
I'm not exactly sure why I got such a "vibe" when I saw that, but the reviews mentioned the neck the most. That's probably the most important part for me. I really do have small hands/fingers.

So IF I go that route, I have the built in stuff at first for some basic recordings and then if it sounds good, get the mic setup later. It will take a month or so to get that "acoustic play style" down likely.

Thanks for the replies, it's really helped to get a clearer perspective on the deal.

However, I'm going to go to a couple of local shops tomorrow and see if I can't get an even better handle. GC was a clusterbleep even though mine has an excellent room.

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:34 am
Just because I'm gabby, I cannot get over how tossingly HORRIBLE that Martin sounded! Just AWFUL! Basically, it sounded like a cardboard box. The neck was really great though, too bad really.

by BobF on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:17 am
Years ago I spent a few months playing every acoustic I could find, from Epiphone 500 to Martin and everything above, below and in-between.

The one guitar that stood out for me was a Yamaha A3M for both play/feel and sound, plugged and unplugged. The ONLY reason we parted ways is because a Dread is just too big for me. If/when I decide to get another acoustic I'll be looking at the Yammy A3 series first.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by klypeman on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 am
The neck on the 114ce was nice and reminded me of my strat.

Forum Moderator.

by reggie1979beatz on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:20 am
klypeman wroteThe neck on the 114ce was nice and reminded me of my strat.

That's encouraging. Playability is very important, if I can't play the thing, what's the point ;)

I'm going to strum shop today, as large as the Sacramento area is, it's a sprawl, and it's hard to tell if there is anything outside of this burb that would have anything I want locally. I hate the idea of just randomly checking places, I guess I could call around (yeah, phones, what a concept :lol: )

24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2