41 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
joshwalker7 wroteCurrently, Im running Studio One on a Macbook Pro (Intel). Im looking this year at upgrading to either a Mac Studio, or building a new desktop PC. Pricing out parts, I can build a new desktop that beats the Mac Studio in specs for nearly half the price.

Ive also spoken 1 friend in particular who has had all sorts of issues with various DAWs, VST compatibility, etc etc on Windows machines. Anyone here experience any issues in Windows 10 or 11? Weird quirks, bugs, whether general or specific to Studio One or its plug-ins, or related to interfaces, etc? Would love to save the money with the PC route, but not if it makes life difficult...

Thanks in advance!

It's all been said, but I have two machines: An older win 10 with a i7 4770k and a newer one with an i5 1160k running win 11 and though I'm not a power user, they run exceptionally well. That's with both s1 5 and 6 (all up to date) and quite a few plugs including but not limited to the Reason 12.5 rack.

Keep one thing in mind, worry more about the GHZ of each core vs. "mo" cores. TTBOMK, all hosts (particularly plugs in the host) still hog the first core the most. It's not a huge difference necessarily, but it's a good strategy. There are some monster GHZ chips out there right now, several of them are not overpriced. This one (back to the newest) is a 3.9GHZ per core chip with 6 physical cores and 6 HT cores. I personally wouldn't go much lower than that, especially considering how many chips (amd/intel alike) have that or more to offer ;)

Oh, and WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT get a mobo with any kind of lighting. Those gamer boards are nonsense for this arena and I still have interference issues with the computer and guitars even with the lights "allegedly" off. Just avoid that, pretty but stupid ;)

Bye......:roll:
by vasilykorytov on Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:14 am
I'm having both Windows and Mac workstations for years, I use them interchangably for my DAW projects. I prefer to use a Mac, as somehow my audio interface's latency is twice better with Mac (with the same sample size). YMMV

currently my only grief with Windows 11 is that you cannot permanently disable Windows Defender anymore, it keeps turning back. and I want it to be off, as sometimes its' background processes are a reason of drop-outs. so, I have to turn it off manually each time before starting a session and that's annoying, didn't have to do it on 10. I didn't notice major stability/performace difference after upgrading to 11 from 10.

by Vocalpoint on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:05 am
vasilykorytov wrote Currently my only grief with Windows 11 is that you cannot permanently disable Windows Defender anymore, it keeps turning back. and I want it to be off, as sometimes its' background processes are a reason of drop-outs.

I have had Defender 100% on since 2015 with Windows 10 and have never had a dropout due to it or any other process to be honest.

If you are getting dropout from something like Defender - you may need to do more on that machine then just turning Defender off.

Not to mention you can add the Studio One exe plus any music specific folders, VSTs etc as exclusions and Defender will ignore them 24x7x365.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by vasilykorytov on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:26 am
Vocalpoint wrote
vasilykorytov wroteIf you are getting dropout from something like Defender - you may need to do more on that machine then just turning Defender off.

well, it's the 'Antimalware something' background process that decides to run in inconvienient time, since normally the machine is shut down and turned on before a session.

and yeah, on 2-3ms RTT this can be a source of problems. I guess, the alternative to disabling it is using process lasso or whatever to bind S1 and Defender tasks to different cores, but I prefer disabling.

by MisterE on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:09 am
Vocalpoint wrote
vasilykorytov wrote Currently my only grief with Windows 11 is that you cannot permanently disable Windows Defender anymore, it keeps turning back. and I want it to be off, as sometimes its' background processes are a reason of drop-outs.

I have had Defender 100% on since 2015 with Windows 10 and have never had a dropout due to it or any other process to be honest.

If you are getting dropout from something like Defender - you may need to do more on that machine then just turning Defender off.

Not to mention you can add the Studio One exe plus any music specific folders, VSTs etc as exclusions and Defender will ignore them 24x7x365.

VP

+1

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by PreAl on Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:03 pm
With defender or any other antivirus, make sure full scans are set at times when you aren't using your DAW.. I just set them off manually myself.

With realtime scans make sure Studio ones exe file is excluded, and any other exe's related to your DAW environment, and remove folder paths like studio one app, or where you song/project data is stored from real-time scanning.

Then you are good to go. I would never disable antivirus otherwise.

There are utilities out there that show which files are being read by various processes such a virus scanners, that helps tailor a good exclusion configuration for the antivirus app.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:42 am
One this that does happen (and it's only about 1 or 2% of the time) is that if I have a browser open or let's say the weather or news (which I always try to disable, failing for the most part) is I'll get a little glitch in the audio.

I'm on LAN now so it's not the wifi of course.

by MisterE on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm
Not sure how this veered into an anti-virus discussion, but FWIW I highly doubt PCs equipped with faster, more powerful CPU/SSD combinations released in the past few years would even hiccup recording audio when Defender is scanning in the background. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it seems to be the case for me, as Defender scans like 7 times a day and I've yet to get any indication it's running. And my CPU isn't even in the elite class, though my SSD is still considered quick.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by gregghart on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:28 am
MisterE wroteNot sure how this veered into an anti-virus discussion, but FWIW I highly doubt PCs equipped with faster, more powerful CPU/SSD combinations released in the past few years would even hiccup recording audio when Defender is scanning in the background. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it seems to be the case for me, as Defender scans like 7 times a day and I've yet to get any indication it's running. And my CPU isn't even in the elite class, though my SSD is still considered quick.

Unless you forgot to exclude the Studio One project directory, the Studio One EXE and any VST / sample data locations. If you didn't exclude those from real-time scanning, there can definitely be hiccups even on the most modern day computers out there.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by MisterE on Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:38 am
gregghart wroteUnless you forgot to exclude the Studio One project directory, the Studio One EXE and any VST / sample data locations. If you didn't exclude those from real-time scanning, there can definitely be hiccups even on the most modern day computers out there.

True, and I have.

by LAGinz on Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:50 am
While I've been outa touch for awhile :), my general impression has always been that people had more problems with S1 on Macs than on Windows. Not trying to diss Apple (who I otherwise love), but just my recollection.

Win 10 Prof. 64 Bit; Lenovo P52 2.6, Intel 8750h multi core laptop w/32g of RAM and separate sample drives; Presonus FP10; Studio One 4.5.4 Prof. 64 bit; Notion 6; various Native Instruments, IK, Nomad Factory, Soundtoys, Toontrack, BFD, XLN and other vsts and vstis
by Vocalpoint on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:46 pm
LAGinz wroteMy general impression has always been that people had more problems with S1 on Macs than on Windows. Not trying to diss Apple (who I otherwise love), but just my recollection.

Cannot disagree with that. I swing in here daily and have noticed over the last few months what seems to be a noticeable uptick in Mac-centric issues appearing not only here but in other audio forums as well.

Meanwhile - my Win 10 build is as solid as the day I rolled it out in March 2021. Still have zero interest in moving to Windows 11 either.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:55 pm
I'm going with 10 on the new computer (yes, ANOTHER NEW computer) :evil:

11 works great, unfortunately, that "thing" did not. That latest issue made me say "toss it" and start from scratch.

Why am I saying this? Because now that I think about it, there is no reason to have to start with 11. You can upgrade from 10 at any time (and that isn't what caused the issues on the paperweight ;) ) but 10 is SO GOOD, other than the eye candy, what is the point?

I've been back on this computer mainly (you know, the one I ACTUALLY make music on :lol: ) for some time and 11 isn't compatible. But who cares, 10 is a madman.

by nathanielwalker2 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:58 am
No issues.

Additionally, Windows Audio for people who only need Stereo I/O is about as good as CoreAudio or ASIO on Windows 10+, so [in particular] people who travel with a laptop and don't want to tote around an audio interface everywhere really should update their OS.

Studio One on a Laptop with Windows Audio is as good as using Logic Pro on a MBP with CoreAudio and the built-in sound card.
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:32 am
Hmmmm. Not sure about that. On my lappy (a Dell) WA is unusable for anything other than drawing in notes manually, or playing something back. Like having the ATOM hooked up, the latency is insane.

It's fair to mention ASIO for all as what I consider to be even worse. IIRC, there is no way to adjust the volume properly like a sound card or WA.

by PreAl on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:29 am
reggie1979beatz wroteHmmmm. Not sure about that. On my lappy (a Dell) WA is unusable for anything other than drawing in notes manually, or playing something back. Like having the ATOM hooked up, the latency is insane.

It's fair to mention ASIO for all as what I consider to be even worse. IIRC, there is no way to adjust the volume properly like a sound card or WA.

Never heard of a IIRC driver. Had to Google it. Ah... "If I Recall Correctly." :)

It's a fact that ASIO is the best audio driver model for windows as it bypasses the hardware abstraction layer.

If your ASIO audio driver is crap then that's down to the particular driver. I know Realtek drivers had issues with not being able to control the volume. Otherwise I've never experienced that issue.

(Btw please exclude ASIO4ALL from this, it's just a WDM wrapper, not a true ASIO driver and it generally makes things worse, only rare use cases it's a good idea).

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:57 am
But when I've tried to use it (ASIO for all), I can't control the volume properly.

I dunno, I just use an interface if I do any music production, everything else is just too dicey in my experience.

by PreAl on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:34 am
reggie1979beatz wroteBut when I've tried to use it (ASIO for all), I can't control the volume properly.

I dunno, I just use an interface if I do any music production, everything else is just too dicey in my experience.

As stated ASIO4ALL isn't a real ASIO driver at all and is a WDM wrapper. I strongly suggest *fully* uninstalling it even if you aren't using it, and have the same advice if you are (unless there is a particular use case).

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:43 am
Not really related to music, but after doing a clean install of 11 here, it was FAR easier to set up the printer :thumbup:

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm
I gotta laugh and post this. I've got a bunch of stuff on the 11 computer that didn't get wiped when I did the "clean" install. So one of them is a download group of stuff and it says for anything I haven't reinstalled: "a long time ago" :lol:

Ok, whatever.

41 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3