Headphone Monitoring HP60, HP4 and HP2
Headphones including Eris HD10BT, HD9, HD7 and others found in the bundles can be discussed here
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all, grateful for your advice once more...
We plan to start recording band rehearsals using RM16Ai and Macbook Pro via Capture and into StudioOne Artist. Aim is to produce demo cd's to get more gigs plus post examples of songs on website.
I assume (as totally new to recording) that we would be better for band members to use headphones rather than holdback monitors to avoid unnecessary stage sound being picked up by vocal and drum mics.
If so then looking at buying an HP60 unit to add to rack to distribute headphone sound to each of 5 musicians.
Problem is what would we feed to each band member from RM16Ai as no direct outputs.
Would it be enough just to route their own aux mix via each channel ext input so they get what they want as if using iem's and ignore the input A and B feeds all together/ Would this work using the HP60 unit? (talkback is already fed into their monitor mixes within RM16 unit.)
Alternatively would they want their own monitor mix of just their instrument/voice plus main out via input A & B etc
Any advice gratefully received - thanks in advance guys and girls.

RM16Ai, Capture2, StudioOne 2 Artist, HP60 Headphone Amp, Radial & DBX D.I. Boxes,
Mackie SRM40 (Original build) Active Speakers. BSS FCS966 Opal Graphic EQ.
Extreme Isolation Headphones. Sennheiser Radio Mics, Shure/AKG Cable Mics.
Macbook 15inch Pro Retina running Sierra OS and iPad 4 with latest IOS
Linksys WRT1900AC and Netgear N300 (reserve) Routers.
by mwright137 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 am
Most people would want their own mix.

If you can spring for the cables, the DB25 outs an the back are direct outs for the auxes. I think I paid $90 each for these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DA88BQ5

You could go with the Hosa ones for $35 but I prefer better for the studio.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by salvadoredelle on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:02 am
I'd recommend just using it as you do right now if you are new to recording. Get the HP60 and use the same monitor feeds you have for rehearsal and add to the mix as needed. Keep it simple as possible. You have 8 outputs and 2 are for mains so you have 6 aux mixes you can create to send to the HP60. You will need an XLR-F to 1/4" TRS cable for each aux mix output. The HP60 has stereo inputs on the back and you should be OK plugging into that with the TRS. Set the front switch to MONO on each channel unless you use two for a stereo feed. You also have mix A/B which are stereo... might be cool to use that fed from the RM main mix... you will also need extensions for the headphone unless you are all real close to it...
the HP channel volumes go to 11... that's one more 10!

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by matthewgorman on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:26 am
If everyone wants a separate mix, then get a couple of HP4's instead. Then you will have 4 separate mixes, and everyone can control their own mix via ipad or qmix. More flexible than 1 HP60.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by donrobbie on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 am
Hi all, grateful for your advice once more...
I plan to start recording some band rehearsals using RM16Ai and Macbook Pro via Capture and into StudioOne Artist. Aim is to produce demo cd's to get more gigs plus post examples of songs on website.
I assume (as totally new to this type of recording) that it would be better for band members to use headphones rather than stage foldback monitors to avoid unwanted sound being picked up by vocal and drum mics.
If so, then I am considering buying an HP60 unit to add to rack to distribute headphone sound to each of the 5 musicians.
Problem is I am not sure what I would feed to each band member from RM16Ai as there are no direct outputs.
Would it be enough just to route their own dedicated aux mix via their channel ext input so they get what they want as if using iem's and ignore the input A and B feeds all together? Would this actually work in terms of getting full sound level using the HP60 unit? (talkback is already fed into their aux mixes within RM16 unit.)
Alternatively would they more likely want their own monitor mix set with just their instrument/voice plus main out via input A & B etc added in.
I appreciate its will be a personal preference but wondered what most musicians would want as a base.
Any advice gratefully received - thanks in advance guys and girls.
Last edited by mwright137 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Since this was already asked and answered here, I merged the threads here.

RM16Ai, Capture2, StudioOne 2 Artist, HP60 Headphone Amp, Radial & DBX D.I. Boxes,
Mackie SRM40 (Original build) Active Speakers. BSS FCS966 Opal Graphic EQ.
Extreme Isolation Headphones. Sennheiser Radio Mics, Shure/AKG Cable Mics.
Macbook 15inch Pro Retina running Sierra OS and iPad 4 with latest IOS
Linksys WRT1900AC and Netgear N300 (reserve) Routers.
by klarkkentster on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:14 pm
I'm super close to purchasing a RMAi.... i also am needing a rack mounted wired IEM solution for our team. I like the HP60.... so..... what are folks doing to get 4 stereo independent mixes from the AI >> HP60? All the DB25 connectors are either XLR or TRS..... can't find any DB25 to 4 Stereo TRS...... My other option is a Hosa XLR Female to 1/8 stereo plug designed for a cam corder....then I'd have to add another adapter to that....was hoping for a less than mickey mouse set up for stereo mixes.

Do i need to have a customer chord made? Rewire the existing DB25 Hosa chord I have? Please help.

I would have to get 4 HP4's to accomplish this...and they are not rack mounted.

Please help so I can proceed with ordering this gear.

Kent from Bremerton, Wa.

Studio 1 Artist, Ableton Live 9 Suite, Logic Pro, MainStage, Mac Mini, MBP 2012, MBP 2014
Studio Live 16.4.2, Rm16AI, QSC k12's, Ksub, Drive Rack PX, Voice Live 3, Taylor 414, Variax GTR
by mwright137 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 pm
This should do what you need. You lose the balanced line by going into the TS but unless you want to spring for 4 direct boxes this is your best bet. Just keep the cables short.

4 of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP117
For each of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DA88BQ5

StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by klarkkentster on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:09 pm
Even though the feeds from the DB25 will be TRS that adapter will work? It will take one side from each input?

Kent from Bremerton, Wa.

Studio 1 Artist, Ableton Live 9 Suite, Logic Pro, MainStage, Mac Mini, MBP 2012, MBP 2014
Studio Live 16.4.2, Rm16AI, QSC k12's, Ksub, Drive Rack PX, Voice Live 3, Taylor 414, Variax GTR
by mwright137 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:13 pm
It should "shunt" the balanced TRS output from the DB25 and make it an unbalanced TS. Most TRS connections I have ever dealt with handle this properly.

My Website
by klarkkentster on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:16 pm
cool... i'll purchase 4 and try one before i'm completely committed....thank you.

Kent from Bremerton, Wa.

by mwright137 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:18 pm
No problem.

Taking 2 inputs to the main inputs on the HP60 will not require the adapters if you want to do that for a shared mix. Only the external stereo inputs need these.

My Website
by klarkkentster on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:22 pm
correct. I'm wanting 4 separate stereo mixes....the musicians can use the iPhone app to adjust their mix so i didn't think even putting the click down one of the shared mixes would be worthwhile.... the unit will set off stage and not be accessible to the singers/players once we get rocking

Kent from Bremerton, Wa.

by mwright137 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:24 pm
That's what I would do then.

My Website

13 posts
Page 1 of 1