13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Some vendors are offering these mixers now up to 20% off. Have supply chain issues abated? Or what? Is Presonus taking a hit? Very tempting...been waiting patiently for them to jump to 96k.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:22 am
No need to wait, because there will be no "jump" to 96kHz. The Series III mixers are simply not designed for anything else than 44.1 and 48 kHz.
by babadono on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:23 pm
Yes but will there be a SL IV.......
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:50 am
As this is not the "official" PreSonus forum anymore, we will not see any information about future products and plans of PreSonus. You're right, the next mixer family might be called Series IV, but this is not a must. They can use any name for anything. Until now, all three mixer families used the word composition "StudioLive", which was meant to say that StudioLive consoles are never either live and studio devices. They can be both at the same time and this has become even more clear since the introduction of DAW Mode for the CS18AI with a rack mixer as audio interface, which then became part of the Series III consoles, combining controller, audio interface and audio mixer. The new "Interface Mode" goes even further. You can send up to 16 signals from a DAW directly to the flex mix outputs of the consoles or rack mixers. And now comes "Metro", remote mixing via Internet...

I am sure that people in Baton Rouge think about new mixers, as they always (have to) think of new products. A new product needs a market and a market needs a convincing product. 96 kHz (without limiting functions) might be one of the aspects, but it's definitely not the only or the most important aspect. New mixers need to have at least one big touchscreen and the structure "behind" the screen, which allows to add and use more touchscreen configurations. "Plug-ins" is another popular subject, which indicates the need of a technical implementation (digital inserts for channels and buses).

The question about a new StudioLive mixer family has been asked and answered in Facebook groups several times. There is nothing coming and nothing planned. But something new is indeed coming: the offline editor for UC Surface. Hopefully the new UC Surface comes with a new GUI and a bunch of improvements.
by PAE Seth on Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:10 am
This comes up EVERY time a price change happens. We always support for an additional 5 years after being discontinued (manufacturing stops, support continues). When a product reaches End of Support, then that product is truly 'dead.' We're still producing Series 3 mixers and are committed to building them for at least the next few years. Not going anywhere.

One correction; something IS planned and something IS coming. I just can't talk about it. I can say that it isn't anytime soon. Internally, we're always theory-crafting and idea forming for new products.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by babadono on Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:35 pm
Not trying to PO anyone at Presonus, just trying to understand how prices can drop by 20%. If I bought one last month for 20% more I'd be the one PO'd. Also makes me wonder, is it the exact same parts?/Quality?
by babadono on Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:30 pm
Well took the deep dive...acquired a 64S desk and 3216 Stage Box. Let the fun begin. I am very analytical type(engineer) and am having somewhat hard time understanding the digital patching.....but i will get it... after all some other engineer designed it ;)
by wahlerstudios on Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:49 pm
The 64S is quite different to most of the Series III mixers, which are 32-channel mixers with default routing settings for Analog, AVB, USB and SD. The chart shows the AVB part. Check the manual for more information.

Attachments
AVB-Output-Sends.jpg
by maciejostrega on Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:36 am
PAE Seth wroteWe always support for an additional 5 years after being discontinued (manufacturing stops, support continues). When a product reaches End of Support, then that product is truly 'dead.' We're still producing Series 3 mixers and are committed to building them for at least the next few years.

This is exacly why I TOTALLY abandon Presonus. Dead products.
I dont need to switch gear in 5 yrs cycle.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:14 am
Sure, nobody wants to switch gear in a five years cycle. The Series III mixers (SL 32 and SL 16) were unveiled in January 2017, the SL 24 followed in April 2017; if you want the exact dates, check the press releases in the PreSonus website. So, the Series III mixers are exactly six years now on the market, which is quite a long and good time for digital mixers. I think it was eight years of useful life for an analog mixer, which could be longer or shorter, depending on how the mixer was used. But during the eight or ten years there were not really many technical changes. Eight years is a long time for digital mixers and you can literally "see" things getting old. Think of FireWire, think of USB 2 compatibility, think of SD card, think of processors, think of network technologies, think of user interface... If PreSonus would release a new mixer family in 2023, the mixers would be more 'modern' in many ways. They would also fit better in today's computer worlds. But there is no "Series IV" coming and hardware changes for Series III mixers do not really make sense (the "grey" mixers did not add something new technically). Nevertheless, the development of the ecosystem goes on. Just recently the new and different NSB 32.16 stagebox was added to the product line. And things go on on the firmware and software side. Interface Mode, WDM Routing, Compatibility Mode, Metro, OBS Wizard, Offline Editor (coming)... So, Series III is still going on after six years, but the developments will not always meet the users wishes. You can work very well with the Series III ecosystem, but if you have different expectations, feel free to check the alternatives.
by babadono on Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:25 pm
wahlerstudios wroteThe 64S is quite different to most of the Series III mixers, which are 32-channel mixers with default routing settings for Analog, AVB, USB and SD. The chart shows the AVB part. Check the manual for more information.

I've been reading and rereading all the various manuals. There's the board itself, the Stage box, Avb network, Uc surface etc, etc.
I have half a mind since I'm just getting started to restore default routing and see if matches the manual page that you linked
Seems like there are things routed that I did not do...I'll see :rtfm:
by wahlerstudios on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:08 pm
The page(s) of the manual should actually be worded "14.2.3 AVB Output Sends", because that's what the chart is showing. You can see that the 64S is sending all its 64 input signals (channels) "back" to the network, while the 32-channel mixers use AVB outputs sends 33-56 for audio outputs. It's actually not needed to send input channels back to the network, because they're already available in the network, so you're free to use any (!) AVB output send for what you want to feed to the network.

For a 64S it probably will make sense to route the 32 mix outputs to outputs sends 33-64, but you can also route them to AVB output sends 1-32 or any other combination of channels. Routing always means banks of 8 sends. You will need Main Left and Main Right as additional sends and probably also Mono/Center. Talkback could be a network signal (if there is another mixer in the network and you want to make your talkback available for this mixer). Sometimes Tape In Left/Right can also make sense as network input. But that's all you will need on the OUTPUT side (what is sent TO THE NETWORK).

Your configuration is 64S and NSB 32.16, so you probably want to see NSB inputs 1-32 as 64S input channels 1-32. This means that the NSB will provide input streams 1-32 to your AVB network. The NSB 32.16 has 16 mix outputs, so you will probably send 64S mixes 1-14 to outputs 1-14 and Main L/R to outputs 15+16. Then simply use AVB output sends 1-16 for the mixes. Make the stagebox "listen" to AVB output sends 1-8 and 9-16 and route the AVB outputs of mixes 1-14 and Main L/R to AVB sends 1-16.

But you can also follow the routing of the 32-channel mixers, if that's easier to understand. All this looks difficult and complicated, but it's absolutely logical. You just need to understand that you're NOT connecting a mixer and a stagebox. You are working with a 64x64 AVB network and you are using 32 network inputs and 16 network outputs.
by SwitchBack on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:45 pm
maciejostrega wrote
PAE Seth wroteWe always support for an additional 5 years after being discontinued (manufacturing stops, support continues). When a product reaches End of Support, then that product is truly 'dead.' We're still producing Series 3 mixers and are committed to building them for at least the next few years.
This is exacly why I TOTALLY abandon Presonus. Dead products.
I dont need to switch gear in 5 yrs cycle.
'Dead' is not the right word to use here. 'End of Support' is the more common term. The product will happily continue to function until some component eventually fails. And when that happens and depending on the failed component the product may still be repaired. Just not by PreSonus, simply because PreSonus cannot guarantee that every component they used in the product is still available in the market. The 'End of Support' notification is the moment you have to start thinking about replacement in case 'failed' really means 'dead'.

Also remember that digital mixers are actually computers inside. How often do you switch to a new(er) computer? And is that because the old one died or is it because progress overtook it? The computer world moves fast and digital mixers get stick almost the moment they are released for not having this or that gizmo the competition promises in their next generation of mixers. Still, PreSonus production runs for say 8 years, they offer support/service for another 5 years, so that's 13 years in total. Which for a computer is ancient :)

13 posts
Page 1 of 1