9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've been struggling with the rules regarding slurs for a long time. I'd like to make a rule that sets the last note under a slur to 90% duration, with all the others at 100%. Can anyone write a ruleset that does this? I've tried every combination with the slurs conditional rules I can think of but I can't get this to work...

TIA!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by davidlarson6 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:36 pm
I don't know how to do it with a ruleset, but assuming you're trying to get a slight detachment between the end of one slurred phrase and the beginning of the next, what I've done is to give the last note a tenuto mark.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:35 pm
Thanks, I can modify each note under the end of a slur manually, but I'm trying to automate it.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by davidlarson6 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:33 pm
Yeah, I figured that.

When I'm working in notation, I tend to think in notation. It's pretty common in the classical repertoire to see all kinds of markings under slurs. I've been practicing a Chopin piece that not only has staccato marks under a slur, but is marked for a held damper pedal at the same time. :)

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by acequantum on Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:00 pm
Just so I'm clear, rulesets don't work on the instruments that come with Notion. It would have to be set up on a VSTi, correct?

Here's an exaggerated example that has legato notes at the start and within the slur and then a staccato note at the end. I know it seems opposite the way it's set up, but it works this way.

Slurred Rule with short last note

notion slur short duration at end.JPG
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:10 pm
This works on my system but only for short, new pieces. When I try to apply this to a long score that has already had other rules applied, it doesn't do anything. So frustrating!!!

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by acequantum on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:55 pm
Hi,

I'm sure you know, being the master of rulesets :), that the rulesets will have to follow an order of operations. If there is another ruleset after this that affects durations, that will take precedence.

However, maybe this simplified variation can help. Change the 90% to 10% for an obvious functioning example. (note the false condition check on the slurred release)

notion slur short last-2.JPG
by madisonfinley on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:26 pm
acequantum wroteJust so I'm clear, rulesets don't work on the instruments that come with Notion. It would have to be set up on a VSTi, correct?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is this true? I had to find out the hard way that I couldn't change to the settings I wanted (unless it DOES work and I'm still doing it wrong).

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:51 pm
madisonfinley wrote
acequantum wroteJust so I'm clear, rulesets don't work on the instruments that come with Notion. It would have to be set up on a VSTi, correct?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is this true? I had to find out the hard way that I couldn't change to the settings I wanted (unless it DOES work and I'm still doing it wrong).

There are rulesets for internal instruments but they are locked into the code for the program and are not accessible. I believe, though I'm far from certain, that it has to do with the licensing agreements for the original sample library that Notion uses.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

9 posts