9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Every see a video of one person playing all the parts of a song with him or her self? That's what I'm trying to do. Rhythm guitar, vocal, harmony vocal, solo guitar, bass guitar, rhythm mandolin, mandolin solo, drums. Of course I want to replace the audio from the cameras with a Studio One mix.

If I record the "precount" clicks from the monitor speakers into the camera microphone all this is pretty straightforward. In the video editor I can align all the video clips with each other and also with the Studio One audio track. Thanks to the metronome it looks like all the instruments are playing in time. In theory I can do everything I need.

In practice, four measures of precount click are far too few. I need to start the camera, turn on the lights, start the audio recording, video record the "clap" or "click" sound over the monitor speakers, turn off the monitor volume, swivel over to the microphones without clobbering the microphones, re-adjust the microphone positions, gain my composure, and still leave a few seconds of quiet time. I can't do it.

I could make this better by triggering the audio record using a USB foot switch and manually turning up the monitor volume at the very end of the recording. I don't think the video editor cares if the clicks or "clap" sounds are at the end of the song.

Has anyone found a better way to record audio for one of these videos? A better way to let the camera hear the metronome outside of the audio track without me having to remember to turn the volume knob? A way to have a longer precount so I can have a more peaceful start to the video?

I don't think the metronome is quite the right way to go. I've done a ton of experimenting and most of my crazy ideas don't work (for good reasons I believe.) Maybe an audio clip that aligns somehow with the metronome?
by SwitchBack on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:55 am
Probably start with doing away with the monitor speakers and go for an earwig instead. That solves the click problem and also avoids recording the monitor sound again and again in the background.

And then you need to record an audible+visible cue at the start of each video take to help syncing video to audio later on. Can be as simple as snapping your fingers as long as hand and sound go on record. Syncing the audio tracks is a given as everything has to fall into step with the metronome.

And do not use the camera sound, not even for syncing. It’s delayed.

My $.02 :)
by timcollins2 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 am
I suppose I could use a drum pedal to count in so I can have both hands on whatever instrument I'm using! :)
by SwitchBack on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 am
If this is to sync that take to the video then you have to see the mallet hit the drum in the video. Same for stick hits, snaps, ... See & hear is the key.

Counting in can be just like any band does it, free tempo as it comes. Or you can play to a click which makes that the count-in, maybe until you recorded the drums including a 3 beat lead-in.
by jBranam on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:11 pm
you could always get someone to fire off a starter pistol... and line up the muzzle flash with the big bang sound that is recorded lol neither of which can easily be missed :shock:

p.s. flare guns are not advisable since they may in fact burn the place down lol

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by SwitchBack on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:33 pm
🎈 📌 :thumbup:
by peterbirch on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:25 pm
I found that two pieces of 2" X 1" wood banged together on the 1" edge held in front of the camera and mic, works ok.
It gives what is a very narrow spike in the wav file which is easy to line up. Foot pedals give a wooly wide spike.

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ
by Jemusic on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:34 pm
A simple clapper board will do the trick:

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/clapper-board/2597319

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by SwitchBack on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:44 pm
The great thing about the balloon in a one man show is that it makes itself scarce :)

9 posts
Page 1 of 1