12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've seen this suggested here, so I suspect it works in Studio One. And I can send MIDI out from Studio Drummer in a similar fashion. But I can't get this to work from Kontakt. Hopefully someone from the community can point out what I'm overlooking.

I enabled "Send MIDI to Outside World" in Kontakt. I set the the input of the receiving Instrument track as that Kontakt track. But when I trigger the sequence on the Kontakt track, the receiving track only receives the trigger note, not the full sequence. So it's "working", but not as I need.

To clarify, I'm using In Session Audio's Riff Generation, using single notes to play its sequences. ISA has a vid explaining how to do this in Ableton Live (see below). But again, I can't duplicate this in S1. What am I missing?

https://youtu.be/4B5m7W-clQk

Thanks!

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, iMac, OS 10.14.6
2.8GHz 4-Core i7, 16GB RAM, MBP, OS 12.6
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Tacman7 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:17 am
There's several choices about sending midi out of Kontact.

That script generated midi is what you're missing I would guess.

KontactMidi.jpg

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by BezowinZ on Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:54 am
Thanks for responding Tacman7!

I worded my original post poorly. Under "Send MIDI to outside world" I do have "script generated notes" checked. In addition to "script generated CC's", I also had "GUI keyboard" selected. I tried deselecting that to match your screen shot in case it made a difference. Still no go. Only getting the trigger note on the receiving track.

Any other settings I should check for?

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Tacman7 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:47 pm
Not sure what's going on with that...

If you record the track in place with live input does it generate midi?

The bottom track has one note in it. You see it's meter jump on note on and note off.

Top track should catch the midi generated without midi input, you can record that on Kontact track if you need that.

RecordKontact.gif

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by BezowinZ on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:30 pm
About the only difference I see in your clip is the MIDI In 1 on the output row of the receiving track. My only options are CH 1 - CH 16. Photo attached.

Tacman7 wrote...If you record the track in place with live input does it generate midi?

I'm not sure I understand. I have a single note recorded. I can hear it's instrument playing the sequence. But I'm not sure what you mean by "generate MIDI". The track doesn't seem to be sending the MIDI notes out like I expect.

Tacman7 wroteThe bottom track has one note in it. You see it's meter jump on note on and note off.

This is the only thing I can duplicate.

Tacman7 wroteTop track should catch the midi generated without midi input, you can record that on Kontact track if you need that.

The attachment RecordKontact.gif is no longer available

My top track is only capturing the same single note recorded on the sending track. See photo.

I eventually need to record it, but it would be great if I could monitor it prior.

67838B1A-1ACD-422E-951C-2459AFE403EE.png

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Tacman7 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:51 pm
Are both Kontact instruments? or just the sending track?

So when I played that one note, Kontact generated the midi that I recorded on the top track.

I was wrong about recording the generated midi on the same track, I always have another track to catch the midi output when needed.

Forum Moderator.

by BezowinZ on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:14 am
Yes, both are Kontakt instruments. I'm using them in Komplete Kontrol but changed the views to resemble Kontakt and access the necessary settings. I'll try using just Kontakt in case Komplete is somehow getting in the way.

The sending instrument I'm using does generate MIDI. The vid I linked in the 1st post shows MIDI being sent to another track in Ableton Live. I can hear its sequence being played, but either can't send it out, or can't get the receiving track to recognize it.

I thought maybe Studio One had a limitation, but you're able to do it, so hopefully I'm just missing a setting or something.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by BezowinZ on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:54 pm
Bumping, hoping someone has other suggestions.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Tacman7 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 pm
I've only been having 1 instrument per instance of Kontact, have you tried that?

The track can receive midi, you get the one note there. So Kontact isn't sending it out.

Maybe with one instrument it will work.

Forum Moderator.

by brianlawler on Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:28 am
There seems to be something odd about Studio Drummer. I can capture the MIDI output, but is not the drum notes. The MIDI capture works fine with the other Kontakt apps I have tried. Here is a possible workaround- Studio Drummer has a drag MIDI button that will pull patterns over- it is a little "four direction arrow" icon in the Groove Selection box in the top right of the instrument gui.

Brian

Homebuilt MSI AMD Ryzen 3700X 4.5 Ghz Win 10-64 (22H2) 32G RAM, Focusrite 2i2 v3, Komplete Kontrol S49 MK1, Arturia Minilab 3, Bitwig 4.x, Studio One Pro v6.x
by BezowinZ on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:08 am
Tacman7 wroteI've only been having 1 instrument per instance of Kontact, have you tried that?

The track can receive midi, you get the one note there. So Kontact isn't sending it out.

Maybe with one instrument it will work.

I only use 1 instrument per i stance.

Yeah, the track is receiving MIDI. I have to figure out why only the trigger note is being sent/received. I'm guessing it's a setting that I'm unaware of since it works for you.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by BezowinZ on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 pm
Update, hopefully something to help the community help me...

OK, it appears to be a Komplete Kontrol thing despite the "Send MIDI to outside world / script generated notes" settings being available just like Kontakt. What's weird is even if I turn off "script generated notes", the receiving track still receives the trigger note as long as monitoring is selected. So either KK & Kontakt work differently when it comes to this, or I have a setting in KK that's screwing with the functionality.

Sending from a Kontakt housed instrument works as expected. Not ideal since I rely on my KK keyboard heavily, but I'll try to work something out until I can address this. Hopefully this new info will alert a knowledgeable KK user what the issue might be. I don't imagine the "Send MIDI to the outside world" settings are there for show.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT

12 posts
Page 1 of 1