149 postsPage 2 of 8
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8
kisnou wrotePersonally curious about the plug-in nap feature..
If anyone has tried already, I just hope it works well, I'm afraid it may cause some bugs :?

However it seems really cool for those who work in big projects like me.

I edited this post because after more testing it does Nap some of the plugin alliance plugins, analog emulations. It just doesn't show you the moon icon but if you leave it long enough it does turn them off using NAP. SSL BX Console strips don't NAP for example you kind of have to figure out what does and what doesn't. Some don't NAP at all.

It's just a glorified auto power down of plugins that don't process audio after a few seconds then reactivate when they do.When 20+ plugins turn on at the same time you get a CPU spike, to be expected though.

Putting this feature in the performance options and saying it increases performance is plain wrong. It adds nothing it just gives you back what you already had in the first place. It free's up recources nothing more nothing less. Very missleading because everyone can disable plugins already it's called activate all inserts or plain old old activate.

I was having no problems till S1 had a fit and started giving plugin errors asking me to Please Remove your plugin settings and restart Studio One to updade version information. Not sure what thats about this has never happened before.

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.78 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
Last edited by garyanderson5 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by jpettit on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:34 am
garyanderson5 wrote
If anyone has tried already, I just hope it works well, I'm afraid it may cause some bugs :?

As long you understand how plugins process audio it's fairly simple. It's a glorified auto power down of plugins that don't process audio after a few seconds then reactivate when they do. Analog emulations with noise or harmonics won't work for obvious reasons. Plugin Alliance Channel Strips as an example, unless you disable anything that generates noise audio etc.Clean digital ones work no problem. When 20+ plugins turn on at the same time you get a CPU spike, to be expected though.

Putting this feature in the performance options and saying it increases performance is plain wrong. It adds nothing it just gives you back what you already had in the first place. It free's up recources nothing more nothing less. Very missleading because everyone can disable plugins already it's called activate all inserts or plain old old activate. Pretty usless feature if you use analogue emulations. Possibly handy if you just use digital and don't mind a CPU spike when you hit playback again.

Ive not had any problems yet everything fired up as usual. The rest of the features are welcome and the input chord display is nice :)

Except it naps automatically based on content.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
Not sure if I understand this nap feature correctly, but from what I read, it puts plugins in a sleep state (or whatever its called) when no audio is passing through them.

In itself that sounds really cool and efficient, and I can get behind that for sure. But on the other hand, I already try to optimize my template/projects in such a way that I dont have stuff in there I rarely use or don't need. And if I do, I usually disable them until have a need. Granted, now I can just leave them enabled and dont have to worry about it.

Still, from an actual performance point of view it does not change much. I loaded a project which usually takes 23% in idle, and 30% during playback. In SO 5.4, it is now 20% in idle, which is great.

If I switch Nap ON - it goes down to 9% in idle. Until I hit play, and we jump back to 30%, as expected. If I would have a ton of unused (and enabled) plugins, then yeah sure.. it would have made a bigger imapact but thats just sloppy template design if you ask me.

Also, it can be quite misleading. If I get 9% CPU in idle I am easier to be inclined to add additional stuff if I feel that I need, because there are enough resources to do so - while in reality during playback you completely freak out your system.

So not really sure how it would help, or at least not in my case.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
jpettit wrote
garyanderson5 wrote

As long you understand how plugins process audio it's fairly simple. It's a glorified auto power down of plugins that don't process audio after a few seconds then reactivate when they do. Analog emulations with noise or harmonics won't work for obvious reasons. Plugin Alliance Channel Strips as an example, unless you disable anything that generates noise audio etc.Clean digital ones work no problem. When 20+ plugins turn on at the same time you get a CPU spike, to be expected though.

Putting this feature in the performance options and saying it increases performance is plain wrong. It adds nothing it just gives you back what you already had in the first place. It free's up recources nothing more nothing less. Very missleading because everyone can disable plugins already it's called activate all inserts or plain old old activate. Pretty usless feature if you use analogue emulations. Possibly handy if you just use digital and don't mind a CPU spike when you hit playback again.

Ive not had any problems yet everything fired up as usual. The rest of the features are welcome and the input chord display is nice :)

Except it naps automatically based on content.

True, and.. true :) but still I find this misleading as it is not an accurate representation of what your system will do, and makes it harder to predict (if you even can) what will happen during playback, or not to mention mixdown's as well.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by soupiraille on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 am
I guess Nap is really useful when you have a sparse arrangement; it does save CPU resources when nothing is played back. In a mixing situation this feature absolutely great!

It would be awesome though to add an Nap Exception List, in order for example to let a plugin generate a certain noise or sound in the background.

፨ Studio One Professional 5.2
፨ Windows 10 x64 (1709)
፨ Intel i9-7980XE
፨ 32 GB RAM
by jpettit on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:48 am
soupiraille wroteI guess Nap is really useful when you have a sparse arrangement; it does save CPU resources when nothing is played back. In a mixing situation this feature absolutely great!

It would be awesome though to add an Nap Exception List, in order for example to let a plugin generate a certain noise or sound in the background.

They will not nap if there is any output from the plugin.

viewtopic.php?p=271570#p271570

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by soupiraille on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:55 am
Wow ok, this is an interesting approach. But then maybe a Force Nap List would be welcome, for example for those Waves plugins that emulate analog and whose generated noise is unwanted when there’s no audio passing through.
Having a bit more control over Nap is very useful I think.

፨ Studio One Professional 5.2
፨ Windows 10 x64 (1709)
፨ Intel i9-7980XE
፨ 32 GB RAM
by DarienGS on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:56 am
arndkaiser wroteTo run VST plug-ins in Studio One native M1 Mode you need native versions of your plug-ins as well. AU plug-ins work because Apple runs them in a Rosetta2 mode but of course this comes with performance disadvantages. Check your VST plug-in vendor's websites for available M1 native updates.

Oh dear. Thanks for the reply, but this probably makes M1 mode useless to me for the foreseeable future, as I use a whole collection of old and/or free plugins that aren't likely to be rebuilt any time soon.
by garyanderson5 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:02 pm
After more testing some Nap some don't. Guess you have see whats what so to speak. Some NAP and the little moon icon doesn't show on the plugin that's Napped. You can tell when cpu drops off it's napped but the icons missing. Plugin dependant this is though.

Anyone know what this error is, while testing S1 it took a fit and borked all me plugins. Never done this before. Ive removed my settings and the dam error is still there.

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.78 KiB) Viewed 5344 times

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by garyanderson5 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:28 pm
garyanderson5 wroteAfter more testing some Nap some don't. Guess you have see whats what so to speak. Some NAP and the little moon icon doesn't show on the plugin that's Napped. You can tell when cpu drops off it's napped but the icons missing. Plugin dependant this is though.

Anyone know what this error is, while testing S1 it took a fit and borked all me plugins. Never done this before. Ive removed my settings and the dam error is still there.

Update: Problem solved. As soon as i reset Studio One 4 then 5 after it works fine and no error. Gremlins maby :)

by j0001s on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:42 pm
DarienGS wrote
arndkaiser wroteTo run VST plug-ins in Studio One native M1 Mode you need native versions of your plug-ins as well. AU plug-ins work because Apple runs them in a Rosetta2 mode but of course this comes with performance disadvantages. Check your VST plug-in vendor's websites for available M1 native updates.

Oh dear. Thanks for the reply, but this probably makes M1 mode useless to me for the foreseeable future, as I use a whole collection of old and/or free plugins that aren't likely to be rebuilt any time soon.

You MAY be able to use DDMF Metaplugin to deal with this. Among other things, It will wrap VST plugins so they look like AU to a Mac. I'm guessing then it will run under Rosetta, but it would have to be tried.
by j0001s on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:47 pm
The kind of music that I make won't benefit much from Nap. But there are people that use lots of tracks with short clips on them and lots of virtual instruments that I imagine will see a major boost.
by arndkaiser on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:02 pm
Even if your music contains mostly long audio recordings, plugins will nap during long periods of silence.

Of course this feature can’t increase your overall available CPU power. Nobody can. In most cases Plugin Nap will reduce the CPU load which in turn reduces the risk of dropouts.

Arnd Kaiser - General Manager - PreSonus Software
____________________________________________________________________________________
M1 Mac Book Pro (13" - 2020) / LG 5K UltraFine Display / macOS 13.4 / PreSonus Revelator io44

"friends don't let friends clap on one and three"
by IanM5 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:25 pm
Still nothing to tempt me to upgrade from V4.
I'll cross my fingers for V5.5. :+1

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by PreAl on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:35 pm
I need a nap.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by anonymouspanda on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Great update so far, solved a few issues for me and it seems like the browser freeze I experienced daily for over a year has finally been fixed! :D

Does anyone know what's new in this though:
“Copy external files” option for Songs, Projects, and Shows

I know there is an option to 'ask to copy', but it was there since (at least) 5.3 already. Would love to turn that on automatically though.
by jpettit on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:15 pm
anonymouspanda wroteGreat update so far, solved a few issues for me and it seems like the browser freeze I experienced daily for over a year has finally been fixed! :D

Does anyone know what's new in this though:
“Copy external files” option for Songs, Projects, and Shows

I know there is an option to 'ask to copy', but it was there since (at least) 5.3 already. Would love to turn that on automatically though.

“Copy external files” for the song has been there for a decade.
“Copy external files” for Projects and Shows is new in the update.

by haraldsson on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:32 pm
arndkaiser wrote
DarienGS wroteJust excitedly loaded up v5.4 on my M1 Mac for the first time, only to find that loads of my plugins are missing. It looks like x86 VSTs aren't being found, though AUs are. Any ideas, anyone?

To run VST plug-ins in Studio One native M1 Mode you need native versions of your plug-ins as well. AU plug-ins work because Apple runs them in a Rosetta2 mode but of course this comes with performance disadvantages. Check your VST plug-in vendor's websites for available M1 native updates.

It looks like you have to run Studio One using "Rosetta" to ru plugins that are not updated for M1

Go to Applications, find Studio One, "Get info", mark "Open using Rosetta"

Best regards,
Hjörtur Haraldsson Blöndal

Apple - Mac mini M1 macOS Monterey12.4
Steinberg - UR22C Audio Interface
ProSonus - Studio One Professional 5.5.2
by haraldsson on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:44 pm
Robdp wroteThe latest Waves VST3 aren't being seen on loadup... not showing in my plugin list at all...

You have run Studio One using Rosetta to use plugins that are not updated for Apple M1

Best regards,
Hjörtur Haraldsson Blöndal

Apple - Mac mini M1 macOS Monterey12.4
Steinberg - UR22C Audio Interface
ProSonus - Studio One Professional 5.5.2
by Cinemascore on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm
Hi everyone,

The companion online manual seems to have been updated as well today - however - how does one navigate it now?

We open it to the 'Introduction' page, but cannot go anywhere from there:

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/Introduction.htm

I must be missing an outer HTML link to this that has the Table of Contents. The link I have above worked great and could navigate from there with no problem.

Maybe the manual upload update isn't completed?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows how to nav this new manual!

Custom built 4U rack mounted Windows 11 PC: CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K / RAM: 96GB DDR5 5600 / GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 4070 TI Super / Storage: x2 M.2 Samsung 990 Pro SSDs | RME Fireface 800 | Neumann KH 310s | JBL Stage Series: 5.1.2 Immersive | Studiologic SK88 Studio | NI Komplete Kontrol S25 | AKAI MPD232 | way too many plug-ins and sample libraries!

149 postsPage 2 of 8
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8