6 posts
Page 1 of 1
It would be great to have some sort of scriptable interface to the notated score.

The workflow could go something like this:

1) Select a section or sections of the score.
2) Right-click on any portion of the selected section.
3) Select a "Performance Script" menu item, which has sub-items like "Presets", "User Scripts", and "Empty Script".
4) A basic text-editor window pops up and displays the contents of the script and three buttons at the bottom: "Save", "Cancel", and "Apply".
5) The script looks something like the following:
Code: Select all
/*
ScriptName: Randomize Note Start and Velocity, Overlap Note Starts and Ends, and Shift Octave Down
Description: Pulls notes slightly ahead in time with some notes lagging behind, but preserves the duration of the note.  Varies the velocity of the note plus or minus twenty relevant to dynamic and articulation markings.  Also causes an overlap between the note start and ends for a legato effects.
*/

ChangeNoteStarts(max:+10, min:-5, KeepDurations);
ChangeNoteVelocities(max:+20,min:-20,KeepCurrentVelocityAsCenter,RampToDymamicMarkings);
OverlapNoteStartAndEnd(max:+10,min:+10);
Transpose(-12);

6) Modify any script lines as needed then click the "Save" and/or "Apply" button(s).
7) Under the hood, Notion modifies the performance parameters of the selected notes.

This scripting would be IN ADDITION TO the existing custom playback rules, not as a replacement.

Kurt M. Landre'
https://www.SoundCloud.com/kmlandre
by martinkutschker on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:36 pm
Oh yes, a built-in scripting language would be great. But do you think it should be run during the playback, ie the actual performance? IMHO it would be enough if a script could be run while editing. You could still have your custom humanization this way, it just wouldn't vary.
by kmlandre on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:34 pm
martinkutschker wroteOh yes, a built-in scripting language would be great. But do you think it should be run during the playback, ie the actual performance? IMHO it would be enough if a script could be run while editing. You could still have your custom humanization this way, it just wouldn't vary.

I'm not sure there would be any other way to do than during the editor mode.

I'm wanting something like Cakewalks old scripting language (can't remember what that was called), whereby you run the script and you've "permanently" changed the playback.

Kurt
by martinkutschker on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:25 am
I think we want the same but have difficulties to make ourselves understood. Do you know MuseScore? If not download 1.x or the beta of 2.0, it's free (open source). It has a feature called "plug-ins", but actually it is a scripting API providing access to the score.

Masi
by wcreed on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:42 pm
As do Finale and Sibelius...

Bill Reed
Notion 6, Dorico, StaffPad, Overture , Studio One, Cubase
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190
by martinkutschker on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:17 am
As do Finale and Sibelius...

I guess there is no standard for the scripting language like MusicXML as file format or the HTML DOM. In theory a defined set of JavaScript classes is all that would be needed for that. But I am daydreaming...

Masi

6 posts
Page 1 of 1