8 posts
Page 1 of 1
First off, I'm confused about the dither setting in S1. It adds dither on playback and export? It's my understanding that dither should only happen once, as the last thing in your chain when converting from one sample rate to another and exporting. I'm not sure why you would want dither on playback? That being the case, the dither option should appear directly in the various export menus, not buried in a settings page, IMHO.
Also, from admittedly limited testing so far, I'm not finding the S1 dithering algorithm to be very smooth sounding. To me, it does not sound as good as the dithering in the Waves L-2.
I'm curious how others are dealing with dither and if anyone is using the S1 dither.

Studio One Pro (Former long time Sonar user), Dell XPS Desktop, i7, 32 Gb RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Focusrite Saffire Octopre Mk II
by mycbeats on Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:53 am
The reason one may like dithering while playback is that internally Studio One audio engine is operating at 64-bit floating point while most interfaces operate at 24-bit. So you're always bit reducing when playing back.

I personally keep the option off and prefer to use a dither from a limiter at the end of my project page chain.

Always remember its good to use dither, but no great song was ever made un-listen-able by forgetting to apply it.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by rodshort on Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:19 pm
Thanks for the reply.
That seems to be the way to go, as far as I can tell. I came from Cakewalk/Sonar and it had the Weiss Pow-r dithering algorithms, which are great. I was hopeful that I could just use S1's native dither but, I experimented with it compared to what's available in my Waves L2 and, I hear a noticeable difference between them (The Waves sounds better, smoother in the high end.)
Hopefully in a future update Presonus might switch to a better dithering utility.

Studio One Pro (Former long time Sonar user), Dell XPS Desktop, i7, 32 Gb RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Focusrite Saffire Octopre Mk II
by Tacman7 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:39 am
This is the only thing I put on the master:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/psp-xenon

I will have to try turning off dithering and let the plugin do it and compare.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by mycbeats on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:59 am
rodshort wroteThanks for the reply.
That seems to be the way to go, as far as I can tell. I came from Cakewalk/Sonar and it had the Weiss Pow-r dithering algorithms, which are great. I was hopeful that I could just use S1's native dither but, I experimented with it compared to what's available in my Waves L2 and, I hear a noticeable difference between them (The Waves sounds better, smoother in the high end.)
Hopefully in a future update Presonus might switch to a better dithering utility.

L2's limiting has a classic sound. its the sound of 2000s pop music.

But dither either does its job or doesn't - there is no "quality",
Perhaps its the noise shaping Presonus is using that you don't like.

Here is a timeless video about sampling, theres a portion on dither.
https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:09 am
rodshort wroteFirst off, I'm confused about the dither setting in S1. It adds dither on playback and export? It's my understanding that dither should only happen once, as the last thing in your chain when converting from one sample rate to another and exporting. I'm not sure why you would want dither on playback?.

Then consider this: If you listen without dither but export with dither then you'll be exporting something you haven't actually heard. Dither on playback is fleeting; it isn't printed or re-used unless you use outboard hardware inserts (which may be another reason to have the dither-on-playback option). So I understand the default=on setting. That way you'll hear what the final product sounds like ;)
by rodshort on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:37 pm
SwitchBack - I wonder if S1 dithers when you bounce a track internally?

by rodshort on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:41 pm
mycbeats - You may be right, a noise shaping algorithm may be the difference I'm hearing. I know it's a small difference but, I do hear a difference in the high end.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1