136 postsPage 7 of 7
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
kassra wroteso just wondering, if working on a mac, does the jitter show up when transforming (or freezing) midi tracks/virtual instruments to audio? does it matter what your buffer setting is when you freeze to audio? if i freeze at 2048 (as opposed to 32 or 64), will my resulting audio track suffer from this timing problem?

Nope, only with monitoring.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by robertgray3 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pm
niles wroteIf you are able to make the same movie again I can do the same for Windows and we can clearly show the difference side-by-side. If possible you can show the deviations extremes in the scope by clicking once on the lowest latency and move to the highest (approximately). It may give the developers a better idea of what they are looking at.

Done. The tooltip is small in the video but it shows that at 512 it deviates about 10.53ms total.

Results in the ZIP file to compare audio and midi, video attached to this post.

@roland1 @Rasi @musicchamber since you guys were vocal about having issues with this it might be helpful for you to run niles' test since it's so well packaged and easily quantifiable.

Easy_Buffer_Jitter_Test_5 RG-test.zip
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 242 times

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:05 am
robertgray3 wrote
@roland1 @Rasi @musicchamber since you guys were vocal about having issues with this it might be helpful for you to run niles' test since it's so well packaged and easily quantifiable.

I did a MIDI loopback test earlier on and found that the accuracy of recording MIDI notes played back from an internal track deviates (don't have the notes) either from 1-3ms or 1-3 "ticks" at a 64 buffer setting on my PC (i7 7700).

I also read that this kind of random hit and miss behavior is not a rare occurrence in DAWs.

But I will try Niles test though. Right now I'm a little sidetracked.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by kisnou on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am
Hello, any updates on this?

I have recently watched the video by Admiral Bumblebee about midi jitter, and it seems to be a serious problem. This is the article:
https://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2020 ... -fail.html

I have the same issues with the loopback test, when it comes to midi. I have run several tests for many, many days, without a solution. Can anybody help? It seems like presonus has not fixed this yet.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by PreAl on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:19 am
kisnou wroteHello, any updates on this?

I have recently watched the video by Admiral Bumblebee about midi jitter, and it seems to be a serious problem. This is the article:
https://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2020 ... -fail.html

I have the same issues with the loopback test, when it comes to midi. I have run several tests for many, many days, without a solution. Can anybody help? It seems like presonus has not fixed this yet.

Have you read the full thread?
Create a ticket with support if it does not help.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Baphometrix on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:18 am
For everyone thinking the "MIDI jitter" is a big deal....

May I suggest reading this specific post?
viewtopic.php?p=249109#p249109

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by robertgray3 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:45 am
Baphometrix wroteFor everyone thinking the "MIDI jitter" is a big deal....

Exactly.

It’s pretty clear that at present the only time S1 behaves any worse than other DAWs in this department (and only slightly worse at that) is with buffers over 256 and only on macOS. In the posts above Niles and I helped everyone do their due diligence and that was all that could be empirically shown.

For anyone landing here from the AB article and getting all worried, Baph’s post above is a good read. If one follows those recommendations then one can avoid ever dealing with this.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by kisnou on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:15 am
Yes I have created a ticket, after pages of conversations, I have heard th problem will be fixed in the next patch release.

I am pretty sure the problem is more serious for some pc configurations and less (or even non existent) for others. Weird, but that's what I have seen after days of testing. However, thank you all for the replies and for the help.
I will now read the reply by Baphometrix! Thanks!

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by admiralbumblebee on Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:49 pm
Mild Necro:

Update here: https://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2020 ... sions.html

LOTS of tests including all other major DAWs.

tldr so you don't have to click the link; S1 5.1 works without jitter now, and the dropout protection is more consistent in behaviour.

by admiralbumblebee on Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Baphometrix wroteFor everyone thinking the "MIDI jitter" is a big deal....

"ZL" mode removes any benefit you get form extra buffering in the DP modes. If you have a project where you can only play back at a given buffer/DP, then enabling LL will likely cause dropouts during recording/live playback.

As I demonstrated though, pre-5.1, the low-latency mode did not work properly on macOS (compared to 5.1).

So this is/was only a potential solution in certain cases: Windows machine, low/medium load project.

So for many people this was a big deal, but luckily they adjusted how it works. DP and "ZL" are consistent, and all settings have no MIDI input jitter.

This still leaves the issue with Windows having minor consistent MIDI jitter with all settings...

by robertgray3 on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:01 pm
admiralbumblebee wrote"ZL" mode removes any benefit you get form extra buffering in the DP modes. If you have a project where you can only play back at a given buffer/DP, then enabling LL will likely cause dropouts during recording/live playback.

You're talking about the general topic of CPU usage with Dropout Protection, right?

1- This just isn't correct, it depends on the person's computer and their situation. I use DP Max to great effect in lots of sessions that require a buffer of 1024 and above for playback and can record new tracks in those sessions at 64 by using it.

2- Isn't this an issue for a completely different thread?

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:04 pm
Thanks for the update, Admiral. :) This is good news indeed.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by jasperbyrne on Sun May 08, 2022 9:25 am
*put in a new thread* (i thought it was related but it seems not to be)
Last edited by jasperbyrne on Sun May 08, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
by PreAl on Sun May 08, 2022 9:34 am
jasperbyrne wroteHi there. I've started having an issue where the internal instrument timing and external timing starts to go wrong. Snares will appear late for a while against the metronome, then it'll lock back on for half a minute, then drift out, and so on.

Addmittely I use a fairly heavy plugin chain, and so can need to run quite large buffers, but I can get this to happen with just Impact and the metronome solo'd. The snares are cut to the sample level, but they randomly hit late.

Makes it impossible to make dance music. I don't know if this is the same issue, but I'm at the point of looking for a new DAW.

My machine is a 14-core 10's gen intel HEDT with 64Gb ram and I'm using a Lynx Hilo thunderbolt.

Start a new thread. Show us how your MIDI devices are set up in Studio one and in the MIDI chain itsel.. Give us the full detail of what.you are doing. Screenshots are nice. Update your signature with full specs, and the moment you've given us far too little to go on. I assume you've already done a midi loopback test and adjusted accordingly.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jasperbyrne on Sun May 08, 2022 10:09 am
sorry for my five faux pas! i'll do all you suggest
by PreAl on Sun May 08, 2022 10:43 am
jasperbyrne wrotesorry for my five faux pas! i'll do all you suggest

New thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=48303

136 postsPage 7 of 7
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7