190 postsPage 5 of 10
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10
To add a voice, I would really hope firmware updates, bug fixes and manual corrections are available soon for both controllers. Issues have been around for too long IMHO.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by GreatExpectations on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:26 am
So i just looked through the changelog of 5.1. Seems it hasnt been fixed. Can anyone confirm? It not being in the next numbered patch makes it feel like it might be an hardware issue.
by PreAl on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:26 am
GreatExpectations wroteSo i just looked through the changelog of 5.1. Seems it hasnt been fixed. Can anyone confirm? It not being in the next numbered patch makes it feel like it might be an hardware issue.

It's a firmware issue, and 3 months later still no firmware update for this.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by irawasserman on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:29 pm
i guess Mediocracy is ok with Presonus:

there's a real-world possibility that they should/could included a Filter (option) that blocks triggers that are:

- less than velocity of 4

- accidental 'bounces' or 'mis-triggers' that are less than 1/64 or 1/128 (time) after the previous (intended) trigger

I have found that even tapping firm in the middle of the pad can do a double trigger.

some pads seems to do this more often then others.

tapping on or near the edge of a pad seems to run a high chance of multiple triggering

but tapping in the middle firmly should not multi-trigger

i think their might be a technological limitation on how these pads (rubber) work - physics - whereby there can easily be some 'bounce' in the pads with the top of our fingers - and that the pads might indeed be super sensitive

but since Presonus has decided on zero communication with those of us who actually purchased the item ... at one time in world/society these people were called: "customers" or "paying customers" ... obviously Presonus' arrogance is going the way of NI and Steinberg -- thinking they know everything and no need to solve "little problems" -- that for us: is the ability to even use the Atom SQ.

I've tested the Atom SQ in numerous DAWs and SO5 and when there is a DAW option for a Midi Velocity Filter (as noted in this thread) to filter out MIDI velocity below 4 (out of 128) it gets rid of most of the multi-triggers.

but the fact that Presonus doesn't feel that need to address this (in the firmware or a beta firmware) so we can actually use the device as marketed -- sours me on purchasing anything else from Presonus and I have basically moved onto Bitwig (as my primary DAW) and other input devices.

Shame actually, they were so close. But obviously they don't care. The proof of that is in the lack of communication or fixes. I think there is some elitism going on there.

Sorry to have to post my honest thoughts There are companies that listen to their customers and address obvious glaring issues, and then there are companies that think they know better then the people who are actually trying to use these devices.

I see SO5.1 came out, so maybe, just maybe -- they can now find an engineer to work on a firmware fix -- but I don't have a good feeling about it. Maybe they don't see sufficient revenue on the SQ to fix it so we can rave about it vs complain about it. Crazy world how Corps think.
by PreAl on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:28 pm
I'll put it this way.
Brand new Studio One releases generally have a load of bugs with it, just like all the other major DAWs... what gives me confidence is that you can see the Devs doing their best to fix issues as quick as possible...and they do.

I just don't see this happening with the Atom range.

by Baphometrix on Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 am
I can vouch for the fact that Presonus has been aware of the issue and has been working to fix the issue. But I can't offer any more detail than that.

I can also explain that changes to hardware moves at a slower pace because of Universal Control, which is the main driver/firmware "hub" for pretty much all the Presonus hardware and how it talks to Studio One. Things need to be tested and QAed more rigorously, and if any one thing in the pipeline for changes is taking a while to finalize, it hold ups everything else in the pipeline that might have been sorted out more quickly.

All I can urge is patience.

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by PreAl on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:08 am
^ Your point is entirely valid, but 3 months is more than enough to fix and QA the Atom pad and the SQ imho. Let's hope this doesn't move into next year.

by irawasserman on Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 pm
My Atom SQ is sitting in a draw and I shy away from using it, because making music (workflow) to me: is not having to go in and remove the multi-trigger notes after every midi recording. (And let's keep in mind that most soft taps don't even register, so I'm talking about medium-firm taps that multi-trigger like a 'bounce' / seemingly like an 'after-touch' response).

It's nice that Presonus has 'rules' and QA in terms of a Universal Control release (testing, etc), but when there is zero communication from the devs with the people that are trying to use the Atom SQ (especially the early adopters), it shows that Presonus thinks of us as 'sheep' and we can wait -- even though we paid for this item to be usable.

I think they have their priorities mixed up (their 'careful' system on release times is more important then getting the customers a fix, even if it's beta). Now that I think of it: I think Oscar / Presonus is likely adding more features and wants the 'Atom SQ fix' to be part of that (new features) version -- since it's all integrated -- but if that was the case -- they should issue an announcement that the fix will come when they finalize the new 'features set' and run it through appropriate QA -- but we deserve to know that (if that's the case). What needs to be so secretive about that ?? (We are only referring to an acknowledgement of the issue and that it's being worked on from Official Presonus).

The infamous car example: if the engine sputters and conks out when going up a hill -- how long will the owner have to wait for a fix (so they can reliably use the car they paid good money for).

It's good that Baphometrix has info that 'they are aware' -- but for us lowly non-inner-circle people (who registered our device with Presonus) -- there's been zero communication / acknowledgment-- absolutely nada -- that Atom SQ pads easily mis-fire and is being looked into.

Historically, no companies ever want to be held to quote a new release date (that's understandable), but completely dissing paid customers with zero communication of what's going on is what happens when 'corporate elitism' kicks in. There's nothing that Presonus needs to be secretive about -- it's a (usability) fix were looking for -- with an acknowledgement (at minimum). We're not asking for some secretive Intellectual Property / patent pending (preliminary) info. Maybe the Marketing department is saying 'sshhhhhh' so they can sell more SQs.

As The Who said: "Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss" -- I just thought Presonus valued their customers better. Silly Me. ... and inviting people into their 'Inner Circle' doesn't solve their communication problem. It just appeases a select few. That's why I call their lack of communication with lowly end-users "elitism".

I do appreciate Presonus forums allowing us / me to vent. There's a cultural flaw there that needs correcting. (Gosh, if lawyers ran the world .. oh, sorry .. they already do).
by PreAl on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 pm
So there apparently is a firmware update for the SQ.
Haven't seen any releases notes just heard on social media.
I have not installed or tested it.
But where is the update for the original atom, with the same issue?

EDIT - Updated, seems to have done the trick with the SQ... but what about the original Atom PAD controller??

by oscargarza3 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:55 pm
Hey all, I am here. I'm just not very active on forums as I mainly respond on social (but will change that). There is a new firmware for ATOM SQ, v1.12 as of 17 NOV. This update does have some tweaks to pad triggering, among other things related to firmware (not Studio One directly). Regarding ATOM, there will be a new firmware for it in the future, but I can't give a timetable at the moment.
by irawasserman on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:20 pm
thanks Oscar for checking in

We all love the Atom SQ, that's why we are so concerned

It's so close to being phenomenal, but needs some (additional) love and attention to whatever you and the wizards can figure out (even if placing a very low velocity filter option to help avoid the double taps that might be coming from the way our fingers 'bounce' off the pads). Plus: taking into consideration the different material/trigger physics when a pad isn't hit directly in the center. (I know your team is quite aware of the challenges/limits)

Happy holidays Oscar and time permitting: yes, please do continue seeing what can be done to improve the pad trigger mechanics / sensitivity balance.

The test (of course) is: people record a fairly active 16-32 bar melody or drum kit and see how many of the recorded midi notes were intentional vs 'accidental' (double) hits

that's an interesting opportunity actually: that most double hits seem to come within like 1/64 of the beat, thus that can be considered as part of the 'intelligent double hit protection filter' (option) - low velocities occurring 1/64 or less than the previous trigger hit (which has medium or high velocity).

thanks again Oscar on finding us here : )

Ira
San Jose USA
by oscargarza3 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:07 pm
Happy Holidays to you all too!! So, did the v1.12 firmware help out with the issue you all were having? PreAI seemed to indicate that it worked for him.
by PreAl on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:17 pm
oscargarza3 wroteHey all, I am here. I'm just not very active on forums as I mainly respond on social (but will change that). There is a new firmware for ATOM SQ, v1.12 as of 17 NOV. This update does have some tweaks to pad triggering, among other things related to firmware (not Studio One directly). Regarding ATOM, there will be a new firmware for it in the future, but I can't give a timetable at the moment.

Thanks Oscar.
FYI only one item deemed fixed in the UC release notes (and release notes seem to be different if you have a Sphere subscription).

Thx.

by Baphometrix on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 am
The new firmware update 1.12 definitely makes things much better! There's still a bit of over-sensitivity to the release velocity, which can also create double hits when you're playing in a way that leaves fingers sitting on a pad while you lay down other fingers on other pads. (From a very slight uplift in pressure on the finger still holding down a pad, as your hand rocks around.) Presonus is aware of this release velocity/pressure issue and still working to improve it.

Over time I'm sure the SQ will be an awesome controller. :+1

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by Chaos Revenant on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:49 pm
My Atom (non SQ) is absolutely terrible. It will sometimes rapid fire as if note repeat is on. Its unreal man I am so ticked off. We still need an ATOM update it came out first what gives? To be more specific if i hit the pads there is a likely chance it wont just double hit, it will triple or quad hit.
by PreAl on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:52 am
Chaos Revenant wroteMy Atom (non SQ) is absolutely terrible. It will sometimes rapid fire as if note repeat is on. Its unreal man I am so ticked off. We still need an ATOM update it came out first what gives? To be more specific if i hit the pads there is a likely chance it wont just double hit, it will triple or quad hit.

I agree..I assume you've checked universal control recently?

Possible to update your signature? I'm curious about your OS and Studio One version. Thx.

by PreAl on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 pm
I'll be honest, I think the chances of fixing this with the pads are slim. This has gone on for far too long. Unfortunately it puts me off buying Presonus controller hardware in future, clearly resources are fully concentrated on other products. This should have been fixed within 2 months max.

I hope to be proved wrong.

by PreAl on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:25 pm
Bump.

by jonemery on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:41 am
Would be nice if they put out an update to address this and other odd things like not having the pitch bend buttons track the pad midi channel with no way to change it. It has so much potential but I'm afraid they pushed it to the back burner which will kill sales just when they were gaining momentum with the positive reviews.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I5-8400 with 8 Gb DDR4 / 16 Gb Optane, Steinberg UR12, Atom SQ, Launchpad X, Lightpad M Blocks, Studio One 5, Unify
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:53 pm
Yeah, in the couple of hours I've had mine it's happened a couple of times. Annoying, but I can work around it.

Bye......:roll:

190 postsPage 5 of 10
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10