16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey Guys
I just upgrated from my iMac i7 to a Mac Mini that has 64gb ram and a better processor. I installed the backup to my mac mini and everything seems working fine. The only issue i have right now is that my Sessions are starting to clip all over the place and i have to higher the buffersize to the max, on bigger sessions even this is not working anymore. Even tho my mac mini is stronger than my previous iMac it feels like its wayy weaker now. Also my Pipeline plugin where i put my mix trough the SSL Fusion Analog does weird things when i try to bounce the mix. Since it bounces the mix in real time it starts to mute the first 3 second and then the music suddenly appears and when i check the wav file afterwards the first 3 seconds are missing in the.

Anyone knows whats going on?

ZeDe
by robertgray3 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 pm
Focusing on the CPU issue since it may be different than your Pipeline issue.

What kind of GPU does your Mac mini use? I seem to recall some Mac mini customers have reportedly had to use eGPUs since the graphical updates in v5.

I'm not recommending to go buy anything just yet, but it could be a place to start researching.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by 60s Pop Man on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:01 pm
I can't speak to the specifics of your situation, but my strategy is to complete a fresh installation of applications and plug-ins on the new machine and then load a backup of files (documents, projects, whatever). Things just seem to run smoother that way.

M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) / macOS 13.6 / S1 6.5 Pro / Melodyne 5 Editor / Notion 6.8.4 / Faderport 8, Eris 5
by joelmarian on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:35 pm
robertgray3 wroteFocusing on the CPU issue since it may be different than your Pipeline issue.

What kind of GPU does your Mac mini use? I seem to recall some Mac mini customers have reportedly had to use eGPUs since the graphical updates in v5.

I'm not recommending to go buy anything just yet, but it could be a place to start researching.

Well i just downloaded v5 yesterday, my mac is 1 week old now and i had this issue on v4 aswell.

Thats my GPU : Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
by joelmarian on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:38 pm
60s Pop Man wroteI can't speak to the specifics of your situation, but my strategy is to complete a fresh installation of applications and plug-ins on the new machine and then load a backup of files (documents, projects, whatever). Things just seem to run smoother that way.

That might be a solution, but just thinking about reinstall all the plugins and applications gives me a heartattack :D
by 60s Pop Man on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:41 pm
joelmarian wroteThat might be a solution, but just thinking about reinstall all the plugins and applications gives me a heartattack :D

It does take time and an organized plan. It's something to keep in my for a future Mac upgrade. I wouldn't pursue it in your case unless there's a specific reason to do so.

Leave you Mac on over night for a few days so that it can do self maintenance. Maybe things will smooth out. I don't routinely leave my Mini on overnight, but do so periodically.

Cheers.

M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) / macOS 13.6 / S1 6.5 Pro / Melodyne 5 Editor / Notion 6.8.4 / Faderport 8, Eris 5
by joelmarian on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:19 am
60s Pop Man wrote
joelmarian wroteThat might be a solution, but just thinking about reinstall all the plugins and applications gives me a heartattack :D

It does take time and an organized plan. It's something to keep in my for a future Mac upgrade. I wouldn't pursue it in your case unless there's a specific reason to do so.

Leave you Mac on over night for a few days so that it can do self maintenance. Maybe things will smooth out. I don't routinely leave my Mini on overnight, but do so periodically.

Cheers.

I now reinstalled my whole mac from zero. All plugins and softwares are fully new installed now (took me like 3 days) but the issue didnt disapear. even when i open my template and set my buffer size to 128 or 256 and the other thing on the bottom left where u can see the CPU usage of the plugin when i put it on minimum (wich was never an issue on my old mac) it starts clipping. my other DAWs working fine so far so my guess is that it has to be a Studio One issue. Any ideas?
by toddjenkins on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:32 pm
I'm also having the cpu spike issue with my new Mac mini. Can I ask what OS you are on? I'm currently on Mojave, but thinking of upgrading to Catalina while I still can (don't want Big Sur).

Studio One Pro 5.4.0, PreSonus Quantum 2

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch 2020), Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
3.8 GHz 8-core intel i7, 72GB RAM
1TB SSD Drive, 2TB G-Drive SSD External Drive
by robertgray3 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:34 pm
toddjenkins wroteI'm also having the cpu spike issue with my new Mac mini. Can I ask what OS you are on? I'm currently on Mojave, but thinking of upgrading to Catalina while I still can (don't want Big Sur).

I'm not telling anybody to go out and buy anything, but you may want to see if there's a way to demo/test out an eGPU and see if that helps. The graphics card in the Mac mini is even less powerful than the ones they put in their laptops.

Studio One and macOS makes for a very demanding pair graphically.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by 60s Pop Man on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:06 am
This is worth looking into: scaling back your monitor resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTFRhte4Ng&app=desktop

The video addresses glitching with Logic and the new Minis. The specifics are addressed at 2:30 but watching the entire short video does provide insight into the issues of newer Minis. Performance issues are not isolated to S1.

by joelmarian on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:50 am
60s Pop Man wroteThis is worth looking into: scaling back your monitor resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTFRhte4Ng&app=desktop

The video addresses glitching with Logic and the new Minis. The specifics are addressed at 2:30 but watching the entire short video does provide insight into the issues of newer Minis. Performance issues are not isolated to S1.

It got a little bit better, thank you for the tipp, but still its not performing better than before.
by joelmarian on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 am
robertgray3 wrote
toddjenkins wroteI'm also having the cpu spike issue with my new Mac mini. Can I ask what OS you are on? I'm currently on Mojave, but thinking of upgrading to Catalina while I still can (don't want Big Sur).

I'm not telling anybody to go out and buy anything, but you may want to see if there's a way to demo/test out an eGPU and see if that helps. The graphics card in the Mac mini is even less powerful than the ones they put in their laptops.

Studio One and macOS makes for a very demanding pair graphically.

Didnt even know that eGPU‘s exist. intresting. Do you have any recommendation which eGPU i should buy or try out?
by robertgray3 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:08 am
joelmarian wroteDidnt even know that eGPU‘s exist. intresting. Do you have any recommendation which eGPU i should buy or try out?

Not really sure. I just know some people extend the life of their Mac mini with one (if it has Thunderbolt 3 or, to a lesser extent, TB2).

I saw a few people here mention getting improved performance in V5 with it but I wouldn’t really know where to start.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by joelmarian on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:28 pm
robertgray3 wrote
joelmarian wroteDidnt even know that eGPU‘s exist. intresting. Do you have any recommendation which eGPU i should buy or try out?

Not really sure. I just know some people extend the life of their Mac mini with one (if it has Thunderbolt 3 or, to a lesser extent, TB2).

I saw a few people here mention getting improved performance in V5 with it but I wouldn’t really know where to start.

Ok thank you very much for your help. Mac also has a eGPU (blackmagic eGPU) released but it costs around 700$ :shock: I will think about it for sure.
by joelmarian on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:58 pm
robertgray3 wrote

Problem solved. Baught a eGPU (Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with a sapphire radeon rx 580 graphic card) and it works perfect now! First i was a little bit suspicous because i connected the HDMI cable from the eGPU into the mac mini and it was only slightly better but after i connected the HDMI cable direclty to the monitor it worked!!

it costed me 540$ but it was worth it.
by robertgray3 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:15 pm
joelmarian wrote
robertgray3 wrote

Problem solved. Baught a eGPU (Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with a sapphire radeon rx 580 graphic card) and it works perfect now! First i was a little bit suspicous because i connected the HDMI cable from the eGPU into the mac mini and it was only slightly better but after i connected the HDMI cable direclty to the monitor it worked!!

it costed me 540$ but it was worth it.

Nice!!! They should do a Knowledge Base article about that. I was surprised when I checked the specs how limited the Mac mini's graphics were. Good computers but all software is getting a lot more demanding graphically, including just macOS itself.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2

16 posts
Page 1 of 1