6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
In this video,Around 10:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fs0eNOTUs
Oscar goes over Chord mode working with the SQ, again I'm not finding any detailed information regarding this question I have.
And that's, Is it possible to substitute Chorder for a more complete Chord plugin, such as Plugin Boutiques Scaler 2?

thnx

Cpu:Win11/Intel Core i9-12900K/32GB/AMD Radeon 580
Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Hardware: BAE 1073MPF/Heritage Audio Successor+Symph EQ
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
Pedals: UAFX/Meris LVX + MercuryX
DAW: S1 v6 Latest version
by robertgray3 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 pm
You mean you want the button for "Add Chorder NoteFX" on the Atom SQ interface to launch a plugin of your choice? Chorder is a NoteFX, not a VSTi or AUi plugin.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Baphometrix on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:05 pm
Yes, but not in quite the same way as using Chorder itself. Chorder is a "Note FX" device (one of four different ones) that is designed be put in a special Note FX insert rack that changes the incoming MIDI on its way from the DAW's Midi Inputs to the Instrument on that track/channel.

Scaler2 is an instrument, not a "Note FX device". So we have to play a simple trick to make your incoming MIDI first go through Scaler2, be transformed inside of Scaler2, and then be forwarded to a different instrument sitting on a different track/channel than Scaler2 itself.

1. Drag Scaler2 onto an Arranger track. The track label itself will say "Scaler 2" at this point. Leave it like that for this example.
  2. Drag your other instrument (let's assume it's MaiTai for this example) to a different Arranger track.
  3. Open up the Instrument Editor for Scaler2 and over at the left of the keyboard in the "A" section, change the default internal sound to OFF. You don't want Scaler2 itself outputting any audio.
  4. Still in Scaler2, click the KEYS-LOCK button so it turns blue.
  5. Leave Scaler 2 pinned open.
  6. Open the Track Inspector for the MaiTai arranger track. See the Out/In/Channel section right above the colored area for the channel fader and insert/send racks? Click the LEFT-most half of the In field and choose "Scaler 2" from the list. This makes the MaiTai instrument get its incoming MIDI from the MIDI output of Scaler2, instead of directly from your keyboard or controller.
  7. Now turn on monitoring for BOTH the Scaler 2 track and for the MaiTai track. Also open your Console so you can see the channel meters for both instruments.
  8. Play a regular C Major scale on your controller. All 7 notes. You'll see the SOUND coming out of the Mai Tai channel, and you see the keyboard in Scaler2 playing those same exact C Major notes.
  9. Now in Scaler 2, click the SCALES button and choose C Phrygian mode.
  10. Play your regular C Major scale on your controller, but notice that you now hear a C Phrygian scale and you see the C Phrygian notes being triggered on the keyboard in Scaler2.
  11. Now let's record your playing and see what happens. Arm recording on BOTH the Scaler 2 track AND the MaiTai track.Then record yourself playing that same C Major scale on your controller.
  12. Open the MIDI clips from both tracks in the Event Editor and notice that the Scaler 2 track recorded the C Major notes you actually played, but the MaiTai track recorded the C Phrygian notes that Scaler put out.

Note that the recorded notes on the MaiTai track will all be lagging behind the recorded notes on the Scaler 2 track. Even if you disable the input quantize button (IQ) while recording. This is just a result of several factors related to latency and block size. There's no way to keep them perfectly in sync. Just be prepared to clean up and quantize and adjust when you are somehow recording the MIDI output of Scaler2 onto another track.

IMO the best overall approach to recording the transformed output from Scaler 2 is to turn monitoring ON for BOTH tracks, but arm only the MaiTai track for recording. This will be less confusing in the results and you can use LLM during recording and/or some post-recording quantizing and cleanup after you're done with your takes.

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by jonhamilton2 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 pm
That makes sense. Thanks again.

Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
by jonhamilton2 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:50 pm
robertgray3 wroteYou mean you want the button for "Add Chorder NoteFX" on the Atom SQ interface to launch a plugin of your choice? Chorder is a NoteFX, not a VSTi or AUi plugin.

Sorry I should have been more specific.. What I was wondering is if it's possible, to browse our own plugins, then load them from the controller.. In the case of Scaler or our VST2/VST3 plugins in general, is it as easy as browsing and loading them from the controller as well?

Thanks for pointing out the fact Chorder is a Note FX.. (midi plugin) I rarely use it, n forgot.

Thanks

by jonhamilton2 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:17 pm
Mine will be here tomorrow, so I'll just figure it out then ;)

6 posts
Page 1 of 1