11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Still waiting for my unit to arrive - Just curious if anyone has tested to see if it's possible to assign the start and end points of a sample using the different knobs on the SQ?
Is the SQ by default set up in this manner, or do you have to manually do it?

thnx

Cpu:Win11/Intel Core i9-12900K/32GB/AMD Radeon 580
Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Hardware: BAE 1073MPF/Heritage Audio Successor+Symph EQ
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
Pedals: UAFX/Meris LVX + MercuryX
DAW: S1 v6 Latest version
by PreAl on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm
I would download the manual and read it.. doesn't take very long to go through..
https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ/downloads

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Jemusic on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:51 pm
I have been trying to do this but have not been able to. The sample Start and End points are not part of the parameters that can be mapped to the knobs. I can get almost everything else within Impact to be mapped but this. Any control on the right hand side effecting the sound can be mapped.

Sample Start and End points are inside the upper window and may not be able to be mapped. But you never know either. I will keep researching this.

If not it would be a very logical thing to do. So we might make it a FR.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jonhamilton2 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:55 pm
Thanks guys, yes I have downloaded the manual, and wasn't able to find it, thanks for the replies.

Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
by jonhamilton2 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:57 pm
Jemusic wroteI have been trying to do this but have not been able to. The sample Start and End points are not part of the keyboard commands therefore they may not be able to be mapped to the knobs. I can get almost everything else within Impact to be mapped but this. Any control on the right hand side effecting the sound can be mapped.

Sample Strat and End points are inside the upper window and may not be able to be mapped. But you never know either. I will keep researching this.

Thanks for confirming Jemusic

by Baphometrix on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 pm
You can't actually set the start and end points with knobs OR automation lanes, because those parameters are not exposed to automation.

But you CAN automate and assign the SQ knobs to the Start OFFSET and the End OFFSET of whichever sample is currently in focus.

First, make sure the Impact XT track is being monitored so that the SQ is controlling it.

Then open the Track Inspector for the Arranger track that has that instance of XT on it. Then in the middle channel section of the Inspector, click the little knob-shaped Channel Editor button to bring up the macro knobs for that channel.

Then click the wrench in the channel editor, and assign Impact > Focus > Sample Start Offset (Focus) to one of the listed Knobs on the left. Do this again and assign Impact > Focus > Sample End Offset (Focus) to one of the other listed Knobs.

Click the wrench again to go back to the main 8 macro knobs in the Channel Editor.

Now here's the really really IMPORTANT part

• When you want to control the start/end offsets of ANY pad on the XT from the SQ knobs you've mapped, you MUST have the Channel Editor both OPEN and FOCUSED. That means you can't click in the XT instrument editor itself! You must have those 8 macro knobs open, visible, and the thing you've last touched with your mouse! This means THAT window is "in focus". As long as the Channel Editor is in focus, your SQ knobs will move the macro knobs on the Channel Editor and ignore the XT instrument itself.
  • When you want to instead control all the hardcoded Pitch/Filter/Gain parameters on the XT instrument itself from the knobs on the SQ, just click anywhere in the XT window to bring it to the front and "in focus".

So: now do this. Make sure the Channel Editor is in focus. You can place it side by side with the XT instrument editor itself. You can always tell which of those two editors are in focus, because the in-focus one is indicated by a bright yellow highlight in the upper right where it says ATOM SQ.

Now tap ANY pad on the SQ and twiddle those two knobs while LISTENING to the sound of the focused sample on that pad. You won't see any visual feedback on the sample waveform itself. But if you look at the two Offsets values over on the right side of the XT instrument, you'll see that the SQ knobs are indeed changing the start and end offset. Now tap a different pad while you twiddle those same two SQ knobs. You'll see and hear the offset values change accordingly for this other pad.

Finally, click somewhere in the XT editor window and watch it's ATOM SQ indicator light up yellow. Now tap any pad and twiddle those same SQ knobs and you'll see/hear the hardcoded Pitch/Filter/Gain parameters changing, while nothing changes over in the Channel Editor.

Yes, the SQ is really nice this way. :thumbup:

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by Jemusic on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:39 am
Thanks Shannon. I think I may have had it working too at some point but I was not playing pads, I was watching the sample markers all the time and not even the sample start/end settings either.

Glad to see that it can be done but its a slight workaround though. Seeing the sample start and end points visually move on the sample itself would have been more ideal but at least hearing it is OK. But moving the markers manually is the way to do it visually.

Its also very cool you can control up to 16 things with the 8 knobs too just by switching focus. Did not know that either.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Baphometrix on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:35 am
Jemusic wroteIts also very cool you can control up to 16 things with the 8 knobs too just by switching focus. Did not know that either.

Yeah, it was a nice surprise compared to how the Faderport 8 works. The FP8 is great for plugin control because of the 8 banks of 8 faders for each individual plugin in the Edit Plugins mode. But for the Instrument Editor, your only option is to use the FP8's Macro mode, which is linked to the the 8 knobs in the Channel Editor. So you effectively have control over only 8 instrument parameters instead of the 16 parameters you can achieve on the SQ.

It's a shame that Presonus still bursts out the parameters associated with a macro knob in the Channel Editor when you try to automate the macro knob, into a separate automation lane for each parameter. For the way I work, this makes me avoid Macro knobs altogether. What's the point of having multiple parameters on a single macro knob (and the ability to set the start/end points and response curve of each parameter range) if you can't actually just automate the knob itself with a single automation lane? Every other DAW I've ever used does this, and it's what makes macro knobs so powerful in those DAWs.

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by jonhamilton2 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:01 am
Thanks shannongreywalker for the detailed replies.

by tomaszszpiner1 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:32 pm
Can't believe this feature isn't implemented yet in S1 v5.
by craigbuy on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:55 pm
Hi all.

Another feature I would really like and presumed would already be implemented.

Please make it happen presonus.

Bests

Craig

11 posts
Page 1 of 1