22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
When I am in Presonus and the ATOM is hooked up I can load any instrument into Studio One and if I want to change octaves I simply hit the 2 top right pads on the atom and the notes shifts an octave . However when I use my pads in Logic Pro and want to shift an octave up or down the function is not available; It doesn't work and the pads are all in blue. I can trigger sounds but can not shift the octave.
I read the manual and it says I can hit the bottom left button "shift" plus the UP/DOWN buttons simultanously and that will shift the pitch an octave but it doesn't. So then I thought maybe I had to record MIDI notes and then use the "shift" and UP/DOWN buttons to change the notes an octave but this does not work either. Any Ideas on how I can do this using the ATOM pad? thank you.
by scotthoward2 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:11 am
I'm having this problem too. Even when I manage to change the octave then there is no way to get out of it so pad 14 is blank and if I hit 15 it lowers an octave while 16 raises an octave, either way screwing up the instrument. I have no idea how to fix these issues and cannot find anything in the manual, on forums or youtube. No one has answered here either. It's an utterly frustrating product.
by Bbd on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 am
Please contact Support about your issue.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by PreAl on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:48 pm
It's not doing terribly well with octives :(

This request was a year ago:
http://answers.presonus.com/44183/add-t ... -with-atom

Can you all please state your OS and DAW + version numbers in your signature. Confirm you are on the latest universal control and firmware.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Jemusic on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Try putting ATOM into keyboard mode with Logic and see if the octave buttons work then. Page 7 of the manual. Studio One does this automatically native as soon as you insert a chromatic instrument and input monitor. In Logic you may have to manually go into this mode.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by scotthoward2 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 am
Thanks guys. Once you are in the correct octave (in my case pad 15 being red) how do you then leave it set there and get back to simply playing pads?

In other words I am using Kontakt for some of my drums and once I get the octave set I want ALL the pads to represent the keyboard notes they are aligned with outside of editing the octave mode.

Currently after I shift the octave down to red on pad 15 pads 1-13 are lined up correctly but pad 14 is dark and makes no sound, pad 15 is on red, and 16 will shift the octave up again and I'll lose access to the sounds.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get out of editing the octave mode which I entered by doing shift + pad 15.
by dereksucharda on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:13 pm
So I am working on a Mac mini my OS is Mojave 10.14.6
I have 8 gigs of ram and I am mostly working in Logic Pro. My real question is how to change octaves using the shift plus up down buttons on the pad within Logic Pro since that is the main DAW I am using. seems there is a number of people who are having similar issues and concerns.
by Jemusic on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 pm
I have been reading recently there are some issues with Mojave and midi functions in general. Maybe upgrade to Catalina.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by scotthoward2 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:56 pm
Bbd wrotePlease contact Support about your issue.

I have
by scotthoward2 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 pm
Support has offered me no help in this area. Their attachment system doesn't even work.

I now have to assume that changing the octave in the Atom turns this into a 12 pad controller. This is absurd and a fatal design flaw.

I press shift + pad 15 to change the octave
I press that pad until it is purple
It is now in the correct octave
Pads 1-13 are now functioning correctly
Pad 14 is now blank
Pad 15 is purple and hitting it will make the octave go down and become red causing the instrument to not make the correct sounds
Pad 16 makes the octave go back up causing the 16 pad instrument I am using to not make the correct sounds

How do I keep this octave setting once set and return to playing the pads 13-16 as normal?

In other words,entering octave mode disables those 4 pads from being able to be played permanently until returning to the default octave. Is this the case? Does changing the octave turn the Atom into a 12 pad controller?
by scotthoward2 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:45 am
Presonus now thinks I have a faulty unit but they will not answer the question whether entering into octave change mode by pressing shift + pad 15 turns the Atom into a 13 pad controller. It appears to be the case as 14 is blank, 15 is purple and 16 is orange and I cannot go back to playing mode with the octave switched.
by Jemusic on Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:21 pm
Scott I assume you are not on Studio One with this and you are using Logic. Also you are talking chromatic playing not drum machine setups. This is not clear in your posts.

Its hard for us to test because most of us here are running Studio One and all the octave switching works fine. I will try with Ableton though for you but the situation with Ableton is that a deeper level of integration is now available with Ableton so the octave switching may work the same as it does in Studio One. Ableton boots up in Native mode.

As I suspected in Ableton the Up/Down buttons change octaves. So all 16 pads are available in any octave.

by scotthoward2 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:33 pm
Jemusic wroteScott I assume you are not on Studio One with this and you are using Logic. Also you are talking chromatic playing not drum machine setups. This is not clear in your posts.

Its hard for us to test because most of us here are running Studio One and all the octave switching works fine. I will try with Ableton though for you but the situation with Ableton is that a deeper level of integration is now available with Ableton so the octave switching may work the same as it does in Studio One. Ableton boots up in Native mode.

As I suspected in Ableton the Up/Down buttons change octaves. So all 16 pads are available in any octave.

I am running Studio One Pro, latest version 5 on Windows 10 with all SSD i7 4.70ghz and 64gb ram. Had the same problem on version 4. This happens whether I press setup and pad 1 or 2 for drum machine OR chromatic mode prior to starting Studio One.

Once I am IN Studio One after setting it as chromatic OR drum machine (doesn't matter) if I press shift + pad 15 to change the octave to be able to play drums in Kontakt (which are mapped 1 or 2 octaves higher than the Atom's default range) then pads 14-16 do NOT return to a normal playing state after setting the octave correctly (usually as indicated by pad 15 lighting up purple).
by Jemusic on Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:50 pm
What I find strange is that in Studio One I don't press Shift at all. Pads 15 and 16 are orange (chromatic keyboard mode that is) and they alone can put ATOM into any octave. (No Shift required) And yes either pad 15 or 16 goes purple at the end of the octave ranges but putting them back to both orange is normal octave range for me.

Pressing Shift does the same thing but for me I don't need to press Shift at all.

Is your Presonus logo blue when you are in Studio One.

by scotthoward2 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Jemusic wroteWhat I find strange is that in Studio One I don't press Shift at all. Pads 15 and 16 are orange (chromatic keyboard mode that is) and they alone can put ATOM into any octave. (No Shift required) And yes either pad 15 or 16 goes purple at the end of the octave ranges but putting them back to both orange is normal octave range for me.

Pressing Shift does the same thing but for me I don't need to press Shift at all.

Is your Presonus logo blue when you are in Studio One.

You are correct I am able to shift the octave now without pressing shift and the Presonus logo is blue. The problem is that you cannot then trigger sounds using those pads. Do you know how to shift the octave pressing pads 15 or 16 and then returning to be able to use those same pads to trigger sounds?
by Jemusic on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 am
Yes I get where are going with this for sure. In chromatic mode there are really only 13 usable pads. But at least they are organised as starting and ending on the same root note. I never noticed this because I tend to think in musical octaves anyway and in a way its quite convenient.

In Ableton though all 16 pads are useable which is interesting so the pads go a little higher than an octave. (minor 10th) That is because the UP/Down buttons change the octave in Ableton.

When ATOM is controlling Impact XT in Studio One though all 16 pads are available. So I guess its down to which mode you are in. Octaves (keyboard/chromatic) or drum machine mode.

I guess that is where ATOM SQ takes over. Its better in chromatic mode. Its showing 2 and a bit octaves always at once and changing octave is fast and easy.

by scotthoward2 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:43 pm
Jemusic wroteYes I get where are going with this for sure. In chromatic mode there are really only 13 usable pads. But at least they are organised as starting and ending on the same root note. I never noticed this because I tend to think in musical octaves anyway and in a way its quite convenient.

In Ableton though all 16 pads are useable which is interesting so the pads go a little higher than an octave. (minor 10th) That is because the UP/Down buttons change the octave in Ableton.

When ATOM is controlling Impact XT in Studio One though all 16 pads are available. So I guess its down to which mode you are in. Octaves (keyboard/chromatic) or drum machine mode.

I guess that is where ATOM SQ takes over. Its better in chromatic mode. Its showing 2 and a bit octaves always at once and changing octave is fast and easy.

I am forced to accept this is the reality. In Impact it's a 16 pad controller. In Kontakt it is 13. Unfortunately I bought it to play drums in kontakt and many of those programs are set up as 16 pads which is normal for a drum machine. This is an absolutely absurd oversight by Presonus. It would be like having a 25 key keyboard and to switch the octave you would lose 6 keys and have a 19 key controller. I have never seen anything so midi dumb.

Who makes a controller where the only way to change the octave loses function of the playing pads?
by Jemusic on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:54 pm
Good points Scott. I did not know that it is limited in drum mode though which is weird for sure. I will talk to them about it and see if its a possibility to get it back to a full 16 pad controller for other drum devices etc..Through a firmware update.

by scotthoward2 on Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:11 pm
Jemusic wroteGood points Scott. I did not know that it is limited in drum mode though which is weird for sure. I will talk to them about it and see if its a possibility to get it back to a full 16 pad controller for other drum devices etc..Through a firmware update.

Thanks. It is a very strange design decision to have pads 14-16 rendered useless with 3rd party plugins, even in Presonus's own DAW software. I LOVE these pads but I mostly work in Kontakt and have tons of 3rd party libraries. I rarely use Impact and never use any of their other instruments. I have many better options.

It also seems like changing the octave is pretty much the most basic midi parameter besides pitch/mod wheel. Most controllers have a simple button to move the octave up or down. This has been standard for 40 years. Why would you put that on pads and then render them not useable? I've never seen anything like it and I can't believe more people aren't confused by these types of decisions.
by davidbarber5 on Tue May 11, 2021 12:41 am
I hope the pads 14-16 issue gets resolved, I just got a new Atom and I was trying to see what I was missing, then I stumbled on this forum and it appears it just "works this way". Maybe there was a fix after this thread was last updated? I hope so!

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2