616 postsPage 29 of 31
1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
leonseaman wrote
bruceqld wroteReally? If you could point me to where I can do even the even the most basic task of importing a single midi track and configuring the midi output would be great:) I suspect you are setting the bar a bit low for declaring midi output capability.

I suspect you've never played live with Mainstage before? The show page is not a MIDI sequencer, and never intended to be. That's what the main project page is for in S1.
It is however, lacking program change and patch selections which is crucial.

I suspect you are making assumptions:) I don't use midi at all for music tracks in live shows. I do use midi data to control dmx controllers for moving lights and washes, mutes and fader levels on two digital mixers, as well as guitar and synth patch changes. I am certain I am not doing anything particularly special. Many artists do the same. Without this very basic midi functionality (ie.the ability to
play back midi data to an assigned midi output), the show page is hugely deficient for all but the simplest of setups. I also suspect that we are arguing the same point!

Studio One 5.11 Pro, Win 10, Asus ROG i7, 32 Gb Ram, SSD, RME Fireface UFX, X32, Atom, Faderport USB
by Skijumptoes on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm
I assumed you were suspecting me of making assumptions. ;)

And yeah, kinda the same point i guess.

I've not done anything live for 3-4 years now, and DMX was a headache for me - i came to the conclusion that it's far easier to run standalone than synced to playback. But i was running Mainstage.. on my own... and full of anxiety before even playing.. Like most!

Even with the years development that's gone into Mainstage, it couldn't really deal with MIDI playback either. I lost hours dreaming that i could develop a light show that no-one would care about! :)

So if PreSonus is using the Mainstage model as their blueprint i'm understanding why it's not included, particularly so early in development - but maybe PreSonus 'will' focus on it later? I think the people pushing for it to become more 'ableton'-like maybe will help it on that path too.

One things for sure, it could turn into a big deal for windows users who perform live. But, man... There's some way to go, it's so basic. Having no patch changes is just really unforgivable, even at this early stage. It's just a simple MIDI message that needs to be sent upon the start of each track - they should be able to do that in their sleep!

However, it does do MIDI Out... lol :)

Win11 Desktop - Ryzen 7 / RTX 3070Ti UMC 1820 & Liquid Saffire 56 | Macbook M1 Pro 16" & Steinberg UR22C | Studio One v6
by bruceqld on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 pm
leonseaman wroteI've not done anything live for 3-4 years now, and DMX was a headache for me - i came to the conclusion that it's far easier to run standalone than synced to playback.

However, it does do MIDI Out... lol :)

Lol :lol: I'll concede 'midi out' on a technicality. Perhaps I should have said midi playback? But then you would assume I was using it as a sequencer:)

In case you ever need it, allow me to solve your dmx problem! It runs as a VST plugin, or can be run standalone alongside S1 and triggered by virtual midi. Better late than never:)

https://www.enttec.com.au/product/light ... 512/dmxis/

Studio One 5.11 Pro, Win 10, Asus ROG i7, 32 Gb Ram, SSD, RME Fireface UFX, X32, Atom, Faderport USB
by IanM5 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 pm
Anderton wroteFor Ableton fans, in addition to the ReWire option, don't forget you can trigger loops in Impact. The biggest limitation is that it doesn't have the equivalent of Live's scenes, but it works well for building something like a drum part with loops.

Rewire is being retired. Crazy decision by Reason Studios (formerly Propellerheads)

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by PreAl on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:57 am
Yikes. Reason is now a plugin.
I hope they make rewire source.

So there is a gap in the market for better DAW sync'ing. Whoever jumps on the bandwidth first can generate a new standard. If somebody (cough) doesn't jump fast Celemony or Native will do it.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Anderton on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:22 pm
IanM5 wrote
Anderton wroteFor Ableton fans, in addition to the ReWire option, don't forget you can trigger loops in Impact. The biggest limitation is that it doesn't have the equivalent of Live's scenes, but it works well for building something like a drum part with loops.

Rewire is being retired. Crazy decision by Reason Studios (formerly Propellerheads)

Maybe Steinberg will continue to maintain it, given that it was developed jointly by Propellerheads and Steinberg? Quite a few companies have a vested interest in using ReWire, so even if Reason doesn't support it any more because they want to position it as a plug-in, hopefully someone will keep it going...

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by bobsaldana on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:06 pm
You know I really like it when you are getting started laying tracks and you are ready for vocals and it won’t record. Won't show a signal even though the Apollo shows one and the Line 6 Toneport UX2 does…what gives?

You know I really like it when you are getting started laying tracks and you are ready for vocals and it won’t record. Show a signal even though the Apollo shows one and the Line 6 toneport2 does…what gives?

You know I really like it when you are getting started laying tracks and you are ready for vocals and it won’t record. Show a signal even though the Apollo shows one and the Line 6 toneport2 does…what gives?
Bob Saldana
What are you doing wrong? wasted my evening
by Djstatix on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:24 am
bobsaldana wroteYou know I really like it when you are getting started laying tracks and you are ready for vocals and it won’t record. Won't show a signal even though the Apollo shows one and the Line 6 Toneport UX2 does…what gives?

Bob Saldana
What are you doing wrong? wasted my evening

Could you be a bit more specific. Maybe some pics or description of your setup. Kinda hard to help when you're just complaining.
by lfo2k on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 am
Is a demo of V5 happening this year, or will it come with V6? :roll:

Its 2020 and there is no demo on release avaiable.

Once again: Presonus :+1
by Bbd on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:13 am
There will be a demo coming soon.
:thumbup:

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by GMHague on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:10 am
My experience so far (with a question...)

Songs created in 4.6 and opened in 5.0 can trigger a CPU blow-out (not spikes, it maxes at 100% and stays there). I haven't narrowed down what suddenly causes this, but my question is; why do several posts cite opening 4.6 Songs in 5.0 as a potential for problems? I realise that creating a new 5.0 song and importing song data frpm previosu songs is apparently a better workflow, but why? Shouldn't previous-version songs open seamlessly in the latest SO?

The Solid State drive and in particular the Saturation in the Tricomp is a bit savage. Anything more than 7-10% is silly distortion rather than tube saturation. It'd be great if the incremental application of the drive/saturation wasn't so sudden (if that makes sense).

The Show Page was exciting - briefly. As someone who plays guitar solo/duo with backing tracks, singing everything, reading lyrics ... the possibility of at least avoiding the blind, guitar FX pedal tap-dance was attractive. But you can't change patches in a single song. To automate just guitar sounds between verse, chorus and solo parts would have been awesome. I'm kind of gobsmacked that Presonus didn't see this.

The new FX GUI's are cool, if little more than eye-candy for many. The Analogue Delay is a bit overkill, like sticking your face in a bag full of liquorice allsorts.

To be honest, I need to create a big, new Song in 5.0 to get fully stuck into the new version. That glitch of 4.6 songs killing my CPU has so far discouraged serious use.

Sorry, I have to update my signature. I'm using Win 10 on an SSD now, with an external SSD for Audio and Samples...

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by myronfeltner on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 pm
GMHague wroteSongs created in 4.6 and opened in 5.0 can trigger a CPU blow-out (not spikes, it maxes at 100% and stays there). I haven't narrowed down what suddenly causes this, but my question is; why do several posts cite opening 4.6 Songs in 5.0 as a potential for problems? I realise that creating a new 5.0 song and importing song data frpm previosu songs is apparently a better workflow, but why? Shouldn't previous-version songs open seamlessly in the latest SO?

Okay, so it's not just me. I have huge 60+ track sessions that operate fine in 4.6 and is almost unplayable in 5.0. I'm hoping Presonus is working on a 5.0.1 update to address stability/performance issues.
by joeobuchowski on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:22 am
Think I jumped the gun on the upgrade... Lots of great features but none of which I'll be using for now apart from the new clip gain feature.

I have a new video i'm working on requiring looped parts and was thinking of going for Ableton for it. Mainly upgraded to S1 5 for the show page but didn't realise that you can't record and stack up loops.
I'm sure this must be coming in the future and when it does i'll be using it all the time!

For now I think i'll need to use Ableton for live performance unless anyone can recommend some sort of looping vst's :roll:
by IanM5 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am
joeobuchowski wroteThink I jumped the gun on the upgrade... Lots of great features but none of which I'll be using for now apart from the new clip gain feature.

I have a new video i'm working on requiring looped parts and was thinking of going for Ableton for it. Mainly upgraded to S1 5 for the show page but didn't realise that you can't record and stack up loops.
I'm sure this must be coming in the future and when it does i'll be using it all the time!

For now I think i'll need to use Ableton for live performance unless anyone can recommend some sort of looping vst's :roll:

Ableton is by far the best choice for that. It just works.
Maybe we'll get a similar thing in Studio One eventually.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by vanhaze on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:01 am

Macbook Air M1 2020, 8 gig RAM, 256 gig SSD | OSX Ventura -latest Beta | Presonus Studio 24C audio interface.
by Anderton on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 am
joeobuchowski wroteI have a new video i'm working on requiring looped parts and was thinking of going for Ableton for it.

Ableton Live is unique, nothing else does what it does. However, if all you need to do is start/stop and layer loops, you can do that with Impact XT. Although it doesn't have something equivalent to Ableton's live performance-oriented "scenes" where a single click starts multiple loops, you can trigger multiple loops at the same time with the Instrument track feeding Impact XT (i.e., hitting several keys or pads at the same time)..

I use this feature all the time when songwriting in Studio One. I load loops in Impact XT, and play around with the arrangement, based on the loops, to establish a song's framework.

by nesbetthaynie on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm
Yeah jump the gun too ,very disappointed ☹️
by davidporter5 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 am
I upgraded also. To be honest, there are few new features in this update that directly affect my use of this software. However, under the hood, there may have been modifications to optimize the software and/or remove bugs that may not have been discussed in detail in the release notes...the little things that come from working on the code. Every company has to have income and be profitable or they cease to exist. I see the upgrade costs we pay as our share of the overall development and maintenance cost of a major part of our studio, similar to what used to be the cost to own and maintain tape recorders in earlier days. So, even when I don’t see a direct benefit from a software upgrade, I believe I am still receiving benefit overall. As long as I feel that way, I will pay the upgrade fees. When I feel that a company does not keep their end of the arrangement, like Avid in my case, I move on.

Luna 1.5, Logic Pro 10.8/Logic Pro 10.7.9, Cubase Pro 13.0.10, Studio One Pro 6.5.1, Pro Tools Studio 2023.9, UAD-2 software 11, PreSonus Quantum 2, UA Apollo 8, UA Apollo Twin Mk 2 (2), UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite Quad (2), Fractal Axe Fx III Mk. II Turbo FW 23.02, USB FW 1.15 and Axe-Edit III 1.13.08, Studio A: Apple iMac 2020, i7 8-core 3.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP5700XT GPU, 10 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Ventura 13.6.2. Studio B: Apple iMac 2015, i7 4-core 4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP395X GPU, 1 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.7.1.
by edmisik on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:39 am
Anderton wrote
joeobuchowski wroteI have a new video i'm working on requiring looped parts and was thinking of going for Ableton for it.

Ableton Live is unique, nothing else does what it does. However, if all you need to do is start/stop and layer loops, you can do that with Impact XT. Although it doesn't have something equivalent to Ableton's live performance-oriented "scenes" where a single click starts multiple loops, you can trigger multiple loops at the same time with the Instrument track feeding Impact XT (i.e., hitting several keys or pads at the same time)..

I use this feature all the time when songwriting in Studio One. I load loops in Impact XT, and play around with the arrangement, based on the loops, to establish a song's framework.

Thats what I;ve been doing with Impact XT and it works well on a rudimentary level. Helps that I have an Atom Pad. and you can improv over top of it all

The Performance Panel in Mixcraft is like a kicked up Ableton Live Session. It's even better than the Ableton live session IMO. But the Atom Pad is not integrated at all w. Mixcraft and is with Ableton and I already have Ableton Live Lite. If I wasnt invested in Studio One and Atom, I would be using Mixcraft. I also agree the Show page is not the answer..It seems designed more for a DJ, so I;m just sticking with Artist series v5 and making due with the options I have...would have really liked to do it all in S1.

GoTo for music:
-HP Z420 Workstation 32GB Xeon 3.70 Ghz Win10Pro Studio One 6
-Audient EVO4, Komplete Kontrol s61 MKI, Launchpad x, Multiple shared hard drives.
Other stuff:
Orba1, Donner DMK25Pro, Thinkpad x240 Win10. Thinkpad Chromebook, Pixel4xl
Studio One Remote does not work in Chromebook
by Anderton on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am
davidporter5 wroteEvery company has to have income and be profitable or they cease to exist. I see the upgrade costs we pay as our share of the overall development and maintenance cost of a major part of our studio, similar to what used to be the cost to own and maintain tape recorders in earlier days.

You just reminded me how much a reel of 2" tape cost :) I'm sure glad those days are over.

I don't need notation or stage view, but I'm finding that the deeper I dig, the more I find "little" features that are helpful for the kind of projects I do. There are at least 15 new features for which I'd pay $10 each if they were available "a la carte," so the update is worth it to me.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone - we all have different workflows and work on different types of projects. I may just be lucky that so many of the added features are relevant to the kind of projects I do.

616 postsPage 29 of 31
1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31