10 posts
Page 1 of 1
OMG -- Did Studio One 5 just correct it's biggest historic flaw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfdUtczw4rI

In other words, are things like volume and panning of external synths now controllable in the mixer like every other decent DAW has had forever before committing to audio?

I've vowed never to leave 2.6 and give Presonus another penny until they did this. Have they actually addressed this -- it's hard to tell from the video which states that MIDI and Audio occupy the same track (a neat and progressive trick, I concede!) but doesn't show if you can change volume, panning, etc. in the S1 mixer before committing to audio.

Anyone?

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:21 pm
Hey E. I don't know about mixer external control yet. Have not updated to 5 just yet.

Along with that, there now is mixer recall, so it's getting better.

We shall see.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by MisterE on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:50 pm
Mixer recall would be a nicety. Say you want to re-record a vocal. So you call up the song, but when you go to sing you can't hear yourself, so you have to lower all the other instruments. So, boom, I do that all the time and it would be nice to get back to where I was without having to recall an earlier version and cut and paste the re-recorded track onto that.

But external control is the biggie for me.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Bbd on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:37 pm
I checked in with some of my peers and the new Aux Channel will handle your external synth setup with volume and pan. It then works like a normal mix channel with EFX etc.
I don't have an external synth to test on.
Here's some info from the v5 manual:

Aux

An Aux Channel allows an external audio source to be controlled by the Console without the need for an associated track. The incoming audio can be processed by the native plug-in effects, and its volume can be controlled through the sample-accurate automation provided by Studio One. For more information, see Set Up an Aux Channel.

Monitoring an External Instrument

You can use an Aux Channel to monitor the audio output of an external instrument if you don't want to record the audio to your hard drive. This is useful when working with an external MIDI hardware synthesizer, for example, as you can make changes to the MIDI data on an Instrument track without needing to record another take to your hard drive. Audio from the device returns through your audio interface into an Aux Channel in the Console, where it becomes a part of the mix like any other track.

Remember, if your external instrument is also a controller (such as a keyboard workstation), you need to set it up twice. First, set it up as an External Instrument without a Receive From selection, and then set it up as a Keyboard, without a Send To selection. This allows the keyboard-controller section of the workstation to be used as a source for Instrument Tracks, while allowing the synthesizer section to be used as an external instrument.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by MisterE on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:16 pm
Bbd wroteI checked in with some of my peers and the new Aux Channel will handle your external synth setup with volume and pan. It then works like a normal mix channel with EFX etc.
I don't have an external synth to test on.
Here's some info from the v5 manual:

Aux

An Aux Channel allows an external audio source to be controlled by the Console without the need for an associated track. The incoming audio can be processed by the native plug-in effects, and its volume can be controlled through the sample-accurate automation provided by Studio One. For more information, see Set Up an Aux Channel.

Monitoring an External Instrument

You can use an Aux Channel to monitor the audio output of an external instrument if you don't want to record the audio to your hard drive. This is useful when working with an external MIDI hardware synthesizer, for example, as you can make changes to the MIDI data on an Instrument track without needing to record another take to your hard drive. Audio from the device returns through your audio interface into an Aux Channel in the Console, where it becomes a part of the mix like any other track.

Remember, if your external instrument is also a controller (such as a keyboard workstation), you need to set it up twice. First, set it up as an External Instrument without a Receive From selection, and then set it up as a Keyboard, without a Send To selection. This allows the keyboard-controller section of the workstation to be used as a source for Instrument Tracks, while allowing the synthesizer section to be used as an external instrument.

Thanks for jumping in.

Um, does an Aux channel look like a normal channel in the mixer, or would I have to go dig somewhere for it? Let me reduce this to the essence:

Up to V5, I record a track from my Korg M3 synth which is set up perfectly as an external instrument and a keyboard controller. I'm not sure if I like the performance, but the track is way louder than the other tracks. I'd like to adjust the volume in the mixer, but that doesn't work. I have to lower the volume on the synth itself. Ditto for panning.

If V5 allows me to easily adjust basics like volume and pan easily in the mixer before having to commit the performance to audio, I buy it. Otherwise, I stay at 2.6 forever and go elsewhere for MIDI. I'm sure Presonus can exist without my upgrade, but I have always liked everything else about the program and it would be swell if it handled this kindergarten MIDI request.

by shanabit on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:26 pm
AUX tracks wouldn't send midi volume and pan I wouldn't think. Think of your AUX as just another audio input track

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by MisterE on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:35 pm
shanabit wroteAUX tracks wouldn't send midi volume and pan I wouldn't think. Think of your AUX as just another audio input track

Ugh. Got excited there for a minute. I know you're a Cubase user also. Guess using two programs for both of their strengths is still the way to fly.

by Tacman7 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:40 pm
Sounds to me like a midi track that brings in audio instead of getting audio from a VSTi:

------

An Aux Channel allows an external audio source to be monitored through the Console without the need for an associated track. The incoming audio can be processed by the native plug-in effects, and its volume can be controlled through the sample-accurate automation provided by Studio One.

An Aux Channel is also useful when working with an external MIDI hardware synthesizer, for example, as you can make changes to the MIDI data on an Instrument track without needing to record another take to your hard drive. Audio from the device returns through your audio interface into an Aux Channel, where it becomes a part of the mix like any other track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfdUtczw4rI

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by PreAl on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:42 pm
phpBB [video]

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by robertgray3 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 pm
Why don't you demo it? It's free. For me personally they work OK. Not perfect, just OK. They don't support green Z monitoring yet so I have to run dropout protection at minimal when using them. I end up bouncing them pretty quickly because of this.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2

10 posts
Page 1 of 1