6 posts
Page 1 of 1
If I wanted to create an LCR FOH set up and used the Mono Sum Out for the center channel to be mono would this cause phase and or combing filtering issues in that center channel? I realized the SL32's unlike the SL64's is not a true LCR mixer. But why have some people told me it causes problems to use L/R Sum to a mono speaker?

What if I was to use the mono sum out on the SL32 for a mono mix with all FOH speakers? Same issues? Or is the using of the Sum as mono in combo with the L/R as stereo where the problem comes in?

Live Mixer: StudioLive 32 Series iii

DAW: Studio One v4.5

Computer: Win 10 Pro (1903 Build 18363.418) - x64 / CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 3.8-4.4GHz / Mobo - Asus Prime X570-P / Graphics - Gigabit AMD Radeon RX 470 4gb GDDR5 / RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz / SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500gb
by SwitchBack on Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 am
It depends.

To understand this it helps to put the level meter plugin on your S1 main mix. In horizontal layout this meter has a correlation gauge at the bottom which ranges from -1 to 1. For a 100% mono main mix this meter sticks at 1 because both channels are perfectly in phase. For ‘good to convert to mono’ stereo output the correlation gauge will move between 0 and 1, maybe with small excursions left of 0. ‘Not so good to convert to mono’ stereo output will have large excursions left of 0, which means that left and right are seriously out of phase. The channels start to cancel each other out and the simple center mono mix may sound bad.

This isn’t comb filtering as you can get from speakers in a room but the effect is similar. And it can be fixed in the mix where comb filtering has to be fixed in the room (mainly).
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:59 am
As the manual says for the 32-channel consoles, the "Mono output is an analog sum of the Main stereo mix". If your Main mix is mono, this mix will be quite usable, but as a "simple" sum of a stereo mix it might sound a little weired and unbalanced. It's probably always better to use a Matrix mix as Mono output. A flex mix used as postfade Aux is the other alternative.
by michaelmccolley on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:28 pm
OK very good. But in using a post fader AUX, the main level control in the main mix would not be used to adjust the main level of the aux correct? I could only adjust the main in the in the aux to adjust that center channel if fed thru an aux original matrix?

Live Mixer: StudioLive 32 Series iii

DAW: Studio One v4.5

Computer: Win 10 Pro (1903 Build 18363.418) - x64 / CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 3.8-4.4GHz / Mobo - Asus Prime X570-P / Graphics - Gigabit AMD Radeon RX 470 4gb GDDR5 / RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz / SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500gb
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:00 pm
That's the only "problem" with the aux/matrix solution, but is there really a reason to change the volume of Main L/R? I NEVER touch the fader during a concert, but I would adjust an aux sub occasionally, depending on the song or instrumentation. But basically I would leave ANY output at the level set during soundcheck.

The matrix solution does not really solve the incompatibility problem of L/R, but it gives you the option to use more and different sources for your mix. What do you try to accomplish? What is the surrounding you are working in?
by SwitchBack on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:35 pm
michaelmccolley wroteOK very good. But in using a post fader AUX, the main level control in the main mix would not be used to adjust the main level of the aux correct? I could only adjust the main in the in the aux to adjust that center channel if fed thru an aux original matrix?

You can always do something creative with a DCA group controlling all channel faders. That would affect all post-fader levels, main mix and auxes alike ;)

6 posts
Page 1 of 1