167 postsPage 2 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9
ryanm1 wroteversions 1 to 2: 2 years
Versions 2 to 3: 3.5 years
Versions 3 to 4: 3 years

Version 4 came out May 2018, so we're only at the 2 year mark. I'd expect version 5 maybe next year.

well but last may we had 4.5 and since then, we didn't get a major update so 5 versions should be out this year otherwise will be 2 years without an update, in version 3 we have a major update like 3.2 and 3.3 but in this version there only was one until this moment
by shanabit on Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 am
I nice bug update would be great at this point

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by hassanelshafei on Sun May 24, 2020 6:34 am
After the logic 10.5 update everyone started talking and asking about S1 update specially cause 10.5 update was a solid one getting long awaited features and specially some that we S1 users are waiting for like the new quick sampler and sampler, quite more powerful than what we have,S1 Sampler is nice and easy to use but very basic.

Some people speculated that we shouldn’t be expecting any update Soon because of the pandemic and all people are working from home, and only apple pulled such an update because it’s a bigger company and maybe they have been working on it for some time now which is “logic” Of course “ no pun intended.. but Fl studio just released a new update as well which says something, that such companies are still able to work and get those updated out..

I am really happy with S1, i am not complaining at all,I am just excited and speculating what and when we can expect a V5. The suggestion that version 5 will drop in 2021 cycle broke my heart..I really hope we see a strong V5 anytime in 2020..what do you guys think?

H

DAW: Studio One Professional 5 | OS: MacOs 11.6 |PC:MacPro (2019) 3.3 GHz 12-Core, RAM:112 Gb | Audio Interface: Antelope Goliath | Monitoring: Barefoot MM12
by jandziock on Sun May 24, 2020 7:15 am
I highly doubt that we will have to wait until 2021 to see Studio One version 5.
by robertgray3 on Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 am
hassanelshafei wrotewe S1 users are waiting for like the new quick sampler and sampler, quite more powerful than what we have,S1 Sampler is nice and easy to use but very basic.

What do you find too basic about S1's sampler offerings? We have SampleOne and Presence XT. There are a few little feature requests but with the Presence XT Editor I feel like it does almost anything that's needed. I'm specifically comparing it to Ableton's Simpler & Sampler and Native Instruments Kontakt.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by darrenporter1 on Sun May 24, 2020 10:32 am
A couple of hints that, at least in my mind, point to a bigger-than-a-typical-update release...

1. We are now WAY behind the typical 2nd-Tuesday-of-every-other-month minor release - pandemic-related perhaps.

2. The sale on a new license of Studio One has been extended, leading me to believe a major release is imminent but has been delayed - pandemic-related perhaps. Sale prices are common just before a new release of software to help mitigate "double-dipping" customers who want to buy-in and then a month later get hit with an upgrade cost.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Jose7822 on Sun May 24, 2020 2:11 pm
I hope you guys end up being right and that we see v.5 sometime this year.

However, the points brought up earlier about the usual ~3 year development cycle between versions (the exception was SO1, which had a 2 year cycle), AND what I brought up earlier in regards to x.6 versions always ending with an x.6.5 version, makes me believe that we are indeed a year away from a major release. At first I was very sure that we would get v.5 this year. But now, not so much.

I totally hope I’m wrong though. I wish we would get some type of announcement from Presonus letting us know if the pandemic has slowed them down, or if things are still on track. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme | Intel Core i9 10900K (OC'ed to ~5 GHz) | 128GB of RAM | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti Gaming | Corsair iCUE H100i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Studio One 5 | Lynx Aurora (n) 8TB | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad
by hassanelshafei on Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 am
robertgray3 wrote
hassanelshafei wrotewe S1 users are waiting for like the new quick sampler and sampler, quite more powerful than what we have,S1 Sampler is nice and easy to use but very basic.

What do you find too basic about S1's sampler offerings? We have SampleOne and Presence XT. There are a few little feature requests but with the Presence XT Editor I feel like it does almost anything that's needed. I'm specifically comparing it to Ableton's Simpler & Sampler and Native Instruments Kontakt.

Hi Robert,

I don't use Presence to be honest but when it comes to building a kit or using one shots which as you know is very popular in many of today's music production process, you will definitely use impact and sample one for that purpose, which I believe use the same features and architecture which is very limited in my opinion, specially when you start layering sounds. For example the way you go back and forth to edit each sound is hideous and you have no fades to clean any pops if needed, you need to edit that somewhere else then import your sample.There might be workarounds but why not have this flexibility designed in S1 in the first place?

Ableton sampler, or maybe something like Geist 2 (which is great when it comes to sound layering and editing) or even the new quick sampler from Logic makes it way much easier to edit. Logic (apple) realized that their sophisticated EXS24 and ultra beat aren't working out for many producers that's why now they introduced the new quick sampler and the drum machine designer that is based on the quick sampler.

As I said, I am not complaining, I am using S1 4.6 full time and it is my main DAW and I wouldn't switch it for anything else that's for sure , I think S1 is in it's own league in some way but it certainly needs some improvement here and there and I believe that these features will be introduced in V5 which I also believe is coming in 2020 :punk:

just my 2 cents

H

DAW: Studio One Professional 5 | OS: MacOs 11.6 |PC:MacPro (2019) 3.3 GHz 12-Core, RAM:112 Gb | Audio Interface: Antelope Goliath | Monitoring: Barefoot MM12
by musicchamber on Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 am
My gut feeling is Studio One v5 and Notion 7 will be coming at some point in 2020.

There was an interview with the Head of Project Management, can't remember his name, and he said Spring was a little too early for Notion 7 - I got a vibe that he was suggesting sometime in 2020, and I believe there will be deeper integration with Studio One, so both with get an update (maybe it will be a 'dot point' update for SO, but I really don't think so.

Interesting times!

Best,
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by IanM5 on Fri May 29, 2020 2:49 am
Do they usually update both together? That would seem to be inviting an overload of support tickets!

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by musicchamber on Fri May 29, 2020 4:28 am
IanM5 wroteDo they usually update both together? That would seem to be inviting an overload of support tickets!

I guess we will just have to twiddle our thumbs and wait and see what pans out!

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
i find it interesting that most of the above posts approach this from a statistical (i.e. its usually x years for major versions, or up to .6.5 minor version) point of view.

At the end of the day Presonus is a business, and it is looking at Studio One very much as a strategic asset of how to further grow that business. That being said, I would not really get hung up on version numbers or development time lines. Of course there might be "some" indication to be taken from this, but I think we need to ask ourselves: why would they release a v5 from a business perspective?

With that I mean for example:

Are users likely to dip their toe in the pond of Cubase or Logic now they those have released updates to their products? Is that a threat anyway, as Studio One might be targeting a different customer profile (hint: Presonus: please attack Cubase on the composer front :) ) - would this result in customer retention issues, or potential new customers trying out other DAWs first?

What about the brand perception Presonus is trying to maintain/achieve in the market? In a major release like a V5 I would have to make a guess, but integration with other/3rd party products might be a big deal as well. In those cases you are not only dealing with your own time lines which complicates a release date even further.

Is the current release mature enough for the next major version from a financial perspective?.. I hope for them yes, but if not, you have to dig into that as well. Maybe some features were not as "hot" as they thought. Its not easy to lay out a strategy to predict where the market is going.

So anyway.. after all that rambling: as a customer I totally get it and I hope we see a V5 this year. But as a former business owner myself I can also understand the flip side.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by Vocalpoint on Fri May 29, 2020 9:26 am
bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer wrote Is the current release mature enough for the next major version from a financial perspective?

I would think that Presonus is in great shape with the current release. No real need to ship out a major release at this point simply from "state of the world" angle

This pandemic has laid waste to a lot of livelihoods, careers, processes and things we used to consider to be normal.

That said - I do not see Presonus being overly thrilled about launching a major S1 version in the middle of these doldrums.

They would do better to latch onto the excitement of this pandemic being reasonably behind us (whatever that looks like) when people are a bit more upbeat and actually have the motivation to move forward with buying upgrades rather than toilet paper.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by IanM5 on Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am
Vocalpoint wroteThat said - I do not see Presonus being overly thrilled about launching a major S1 version in the middle of these doldrums.

It is doldrums but it is also a lot of people at home a lot more of the time so hobbies and pastimes are getting a lot more attention.

I bought a new acoustic guitar during lockdown because, why not? And it was really hard to find the one I wanted in stock because lots of people are buying that sort of thing at present. The guy at the guitar shop said he had half the number of staff and ten times the orders.

Having said that, they have missed the peak now I think. In the next couple of months many of those currently being paid for not working will find themselves not being paid for not working. and that really will hit the online vendors.

Crazy times.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by Vocalpoint on Fri May 29, 2020 12:07 pm
IanM5 wrote Having said that, they have missed the peak now I think. In the next couple of months many of those currently being paid for not working will find themselves not being paid for not working. and that really will hit the online vendors. Crazy times.

It's the same for the music industry, movies etc. No company/musician/studio is making any major moves/releases/announcements/anything while this is still going on.

And yes - unfortunately this pandemic will act as a great equalizer across all these different verticals - there will be those who will not be back to buy S1 v5 and those that will hold on until the coast is clear.

But I still think it's in Presonus' best interest to get v5 out there when it's right for them.

It's not like we will suddenly not buy v5 if/when it becomes available. 4.6.x has been a model of stability for me - I could easily use it for years if need be.

That said - it would be nice to see some flashes of DEV brilliance with a maintenance update during these weird times. Give us something to play with.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by hassanelshafei on Fri May 29, 2020 6:14 pm
The weird and most confusing part of this thread is that the last 3-4 posts which might hold different point of views, they are all logical and make sense one way or another..

I personally think that the mind set of “lets postpone the big product we have till this pandemic is over “ isn’t the approach the big companies or the whole world is taking now, maybe at the very beginning yes but now when everyone realized that this pandemic is here to stay for a while , everyone is coping.

-Gaming console companies and studios are releasing 2 of the biggest titles in 2020 with solid dates “The last of us 2” and “Cyberpunk 2077”
-Netflix is producing content and “Tenet” Christopher Nolan’s movie is yet to be released in 2020, not confirmed but seems like it.
-Apple and Samsung are releasing their flagships as usual in 2020 etc.. you get my point.

I am sure tweaks and workarounds will happen to cope with the current situation but life must go one, because postponing any big plans means you will push them for years and not just months.

Logic Pro and Fl studio managed to deliver and a lot of plugin and V instrument developers managed to deliver major updates, melodyne 5 for instance.

I hope S1 is in that place and Presonus can also deliver, they are still in V4 and they need more frequent updates.

H

by Vocalpoint on Sat May 30, 2020 6:56 am
hassanelshafei wrote I am sure tweaks and workarounds will happen to cope with the current situation but life must go one, because postponing any big plans means you will push them for years and not just months.

You are correct - life will go on. And companies like those you mention will carry on. But Apple releasing an overpriced iPhone in this pandemic is not the same as a company like Presonus releasing a new version of Studio One.

Apple releasing overpriced hardware is an annual event to please shareholders and they will get burned this time around - the last I want to do right now is buy a new phone. Not to mention the state of the economy.

Up here in Canada - especially in Alberta - we are dealing with 15% unemployment now - unheard of numbers. People's main focus here will be basic survival soon (not phones, new video game releases etc.) and Netflix really has no bearing on anything - as people expect them to release new stuff week in and week out - pandemic or no pandemic.

The economy has to start showing some improvement and maybe even something like the state of big media as a driver as well. When the movie studios and record labels start releasing "big" movies and "big" albums - and people are able to start spending money again - that would make me feel a lot better about the state of "big" music software and the like. It all goes hand in hand.

Another huge hole here is the cancellation of most if not all of the big summer trade shows like NAMM etc. These shows are where many of the major music players release their new stuff and show off new product and make inroads. It's like clockwork year in and year out.

While I do not believe Presonus needs the NAMM show to get some hype around S1 v5 - I still do not understand any need to release in the middle of this thing - in this dead summer. Things might look like they are improving bit by bit but we are a long way away from any sense of "normal".

Even that awesome usual "new product video" that Dave always presents with members on the S1 community would be impossible due to social distancing protocols etc. Do we really want to see a S1 v5 showcase video where everyone is 2 meters apart and fully masked walking through the new version? I am thinking no.

The fall might be a possibility but it all depends on whether or not we decide to behave and let this thing die off in due course. I continue to see a lot of areas where people are way too quick to assume it's all good only to have their COVID numbers go right back up.

For all we know - we could be a year away right now. I would think that if all the DEVS are working from home - that alone would have a big effect on the work that needs to go into this thing.

We do love to speculate!

VP

by hassanelshafei on Sat May 30, 2020 7:36 am
Hey VP,

we dove into more details here which is interesting and is healthy to try somehow read the future yet we all know that this is so random and no one has faced such situation ,so anything can happen.

I agree with you that the situation is bad when it comes to unemployment and it's not just Canada but all over the world and I personally think that it's more than a year till we get to anything close to "normal" I would say a good 1.5 years till a vaccine is out and available to the mass.

I also agree that most of ppl aren't thinking about buying a new phone or a new video game in such circumstances but those big companies and studios taking such a move is also an indication for something, they don't want to upset their shareholders right? Also put in mind that even smaller companies like FL studio and even smaller companies are releasing new updates and new releases that will definitely cost you, for instance Melodyne 5 isn't a free upgrade and definitely not cheap but they decided to move on and deliver the product.

I also don't think that NAMM will stop anyone from releasing new products , again everyone need to adapt. I also disagree with you when it comes to product presentation, again ppl need to adapt, maybe they will do a shared screen video kind of thing and I think it can work, Apple and Samsung for instance will do their presentation online with no audience of course but they are still doing it, its definitely not the best option or what everyone wants but it won't stop companies from releasing new products and moving forward, I am sure no one is expecting huge sales or anything like that but they are taking the risk.

You know something? for me the weirdest part isn't companies like Personus releasing new products in such uncertain times but actually Tourism picking up in some places around the world! Some countries like Greece,Cyprus and Japan are doing lots of crazy offers to attract people, I find that crazy/scary but I completely understand, ppl need to survive by modulating what we have now to what we thought before was "normal" if that makes any sense.

Anyway, again and again I totally see the sense in what you are saying and I agree in a way yet I am hopeful to see companies and developers like Personus trying to pick up and move forward "Safely" and hopefully we can support them in whichever way we can.

Peace!

H

by Vocalpoint on Sat May 30, 2020 7:58 am
hassanelshafei wroteI also disagree with you when it comes to product presentation, again ppl need to adapt, maybe they will do a shared screen video kind of thing and I think it can work, Apple and Samsung for instance will do their presentation online with no audience of course but they are still doing it, its definitely not the best option or what everyone wants but it won't stop companies from releasing new products and moving forward, I am sure no one is expecting huge sales or anything like that but they are taking the risk.

I guess this is the most interesting part of it to me (risk). Why? Why would any company feel any need to "adapt" at this time? (unless they are essential of course). For all those non-essentials - it's not like you have a ready, willing and able audience (regardless of what you sell).

And I get that companies need to "try" for fear that their audience might dry up but I am very skeptical that any companies target market has a typical "buyer" mindset right now.

I can only really speak to the way I feel about "product" right now (and trust me - I love to spend money on upgrades etc). But I am not feeling it.

I am more concerned with the essentials (keeping my job, providing for the family etc) vs counting down the days until an upgrade hits.

Certainly have no desire to travel or spend on anything but the essentials right now. Went to a restaurant last night for the first time in 2 months - food was great but "ambience" was very odd. The place had only 5 tables available out of the usual 15. Was very strange to be sitting in this empty joint with no one in it but us.

Can't help but think that a typical company feels the same. Will be interesting to see what Presonus does (or does not do) in the coming months.

VP

by Quietly on Sat May 30, 2020 8:16 am
There is one very good and compelling reason to introduce an update in the near future and it is this:-

Cubase 10.5.20
May 26, 2020 – We are proud that this is one of the biggest Cubase maintenance updates of recent years. You will find some useful new functions, some new customization options in the preferences, a lot of refinements and, of course, a good number of fixes.

I rest my case LOL. Bring it on. :D :D

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz

167 postsPage 2 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9