Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey folks, I've gotta buy a new USB interface to replace my firewire 16.0.2 and my old Firestudio Tube (firewire as well). I recently scored an ADA 8000, which is a Behringher 8 channel Adat extention, so I'm thinking the 1810C will do for the odd occasions I use more than four channels.
The DC coupling on the line outputs allowing "control voltages". What exactly can this do? And if I can create two stereo monitor mixes with the four line outputs, plus I have two independent headphones outs/mixes, do I actually have four potential stereo monitors sources? (Two x line outputs, two x headphones). Or does the internal software mixer rob Peter to pay Paul somehow?

Also, the Line Inputs on my Firestudio Tube were always rubbish. You had to drive them so hard to get any decent kind of signal in your DAW. Can anyone tell me if the specs on the 1810C inputs are different? I'd be inputting a Line 6 Pod, or Boss multi-FX pedal.

How can the front preamps be two Mic/Line and two Mix/Line/Instrument? Aren't they the same preamps?

Thanks for any and all help.
GH

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by darrenporter1 on Thu May 28, 2020 10:49 am
The Universal Control mixer allows three distinct mixes with the 1810c. The Main outputs always route to Headphone 1. The manual does a pretty decent job explaining all of the routing features... https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downl ... 052020.pdf

As far as inputs go, anything switched to Line input bypasses the preamp. Instrument inputs effectively work like an internal DI box, so while the preamp technically is the same, your audio signal follows different paths to the AD converters depending on the input used.

A "line input" is going to really be the same no matter what device you use. "line level" is a voltage/impedance standard that everyone pretty much follows. If you have to drive them really hard (not sure what that means) then perhaps you should be using a DI box and going into the mic preamp instead or experiment with using an Instrument input which will go into the preamp. But there is nothing wrong with turning up your output on your device to get a proper recording level, as long as you are not somehow driving it into distortion.

But having said all that, the 1810c will do just fine with a Pod or BOSS multi-FX unit feeding it.

If you are actually wanting all of that functionality - four distinct headphone mixes, more than four preamps... you really might want to consider the 1824c with its more flexible routing and eight preamps that are much better than the Behringer unit's preamps. You also have a lot more future-proofing with both ADAT input AND output so it will function as a good quality 8 channel mic pre into another interface down the road if you decide to upgrade.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by GMHague on Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 pm
darrenporter1 wroteThe Universal Control mixer allows three distinct mixes with the 1810c. The Main outputs always route to Headphone 1. The manual does a pretty decent job explaining all of the routing features... https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downl ... 052020.pdf

As far as inputs go, anything switched to Line input bypasses the preamp. Instrument inputs effectively work like an internal DI box, so while the preamp technically is the same, your audio signal follows different paths to the AD converters depending on the input used.
Ah! Learn something new every day! Thanks for explaining that.

A "line input" is going to really be the same no matter what device you use. "line level" is a voltage/impedance standard that everyone pretty much follows. If you have to drive them really hard (not sure what that means) then perhaps you should be using a DI box and going into the mic preamp instead or experiment with using an Instrument input which will go into the preamp. But there is nothing wrong with turning up your output on your device to get a proper recording level, as long as you are not somehow driving it into distortion.
The Firestudio Tube got a bad rap for its line inputs ... maybe the specs were different. Anyway, I'm expecting you're right. I'll get enough level from my multi-FX pedals for sure.

But having said all that, the 1810c will do just fine with a Pod or BOSS multi-FX unit feeding it.

If you are actually wanting all of that functionality - four distinct headphone mixes, more than four preamps... you really might want to consider the 1824c with its more flexible routing and eight preamps that are much better than the Behringer unit's preamps. You also have a lot more future-proofing with both ADAT input AND output so it will function as a good quality 8 channel mic pre into another interface down the road if you decide to upgrade.
Yeah, I'm in two minds. The Behringer isn't the best. I'm actually going to see what kind of prices pop up during the EOFY sales and clearance sales. If it's not a big difference I'll plump for the 1824C

Thanks for the help!

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by darrenporter1 on Thu May 28, 2020 7:09 pm
No problem.

I wasn't aware your preamp has a bad rep for the line inputs... I suspect you will be very happy with either PreSonus as far as that goes then.

FYI, there is a "demo unit" 1824c on Reverb right now for only $410...
https://reverb.com/item/32602445-preson ... -demo-unit

My take on buying an interface... always buy a little more than what you think you will need unless you are absolutely 100% sure you won't ever need to expand I/O down the road.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors

4 posts
Page 1 of 1