9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is it possible to use p-Rules in Notion 6.x Windows with VSTi:s loaded in SYNCHRON player ? More specifically, SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions instruments..
I´m cross-eyed now from reading everything I´ve found on the subject - possibly also a bit confused?

Answering myself: Found michaelmyers1 posts on Notion 6 + VSL Special Edition and some info elsewhere about how to change existing rulesets to fit Synchron VSTi:s. So I´m going for a bunch of volumes of Synchron-ized libraries it seems. Dimension Strings is a given since it allows me to tailor the number of strings players (divisi..) for the small orchestra I´m writing for.
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:53 pm
I have a lot of experience with Dimension Strings, happy to answer questions. Attached are my current rulesets for the Synchronized Dim Strings, hope you find them helpful!

Dim Strings is still one of the best strings libraries ever produced, IMHO.

I think we exchanged some posts on Facebook recently, Nils? I posted a few samples of my work using Spitfire. Their Studio Strings have limited Divisi capabilities, but not nearly as extensive or flexible as the Dim Strings.

Attachments
Synchron Player Basses.prules
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Synchron Player Cellos.prules
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Synchron Player Violins, Violas.prules
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by nilsblomqvist on Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:48 pm
Thank you Michael! I ordered the Dimension Strings from VSL after listening to various examples, they really are malleable and good sounding. The best I´ve heard so far. I misinterpreted the object "eLicenser" and thought it was akin to Steinberg´s soft licenser so I´ll have to wait for an USB key before I can start to play with the string ensembles... (This Covid19 situation has slowed down delivery quite a bit.)
I will adopt your rulesets and learn from them. For the other parts of the orchestra I think I´ll get from Synchron-ized Special Edition: vol 1, Essential Orchestra and vol 6, Dimension Brass. These libs will go a long way for the kind of music I´m doing and make it very easy to emulate a small (sinfonietta) orchestra.
Probably I will have to get a faster harddrive for the libraries, I´m thinking NVME M.2 on USB-C because that is the only port I have left. That would give me something like 900MB/sec. Don´t know if that will suffice?
This will be fun & inspiring to work with! I´m sure I will have questions down the road but I´ll read the manuals and I´ll watch VSL instructional videos before I reach out for help. /Nils
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:32 pm
nilsblomqvist wroteProbably I will have to get a faster harddrive for the libraries, I´m thinking NVME M.2 on USB-C because that is the only port I have left. That would give me something like 900MB/sec. Don´t know if that will suffice?
This will be fun & inspiring to work with! I´m sure I will have questions down the road but I´ll read the manuals and I´ll watch VSL instructional videos before I reach out for help. /Nils

Lots of fun coming your way!

I use a 500gb SSD drive for my Vienna Sample Libraries. Pretty much essential. I just ordered two very cheap USB flash drives (the thumb drive variety) from China that are 2tb each! I will post in the regular forum if they're any good. Only $32 for two 2tb drives! That would be plenty for Dim Strings and SE on one of them.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by nilsblomqvist on Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:33 pm
There are 2 Tb flashdrives at the price of $1000. Then there are people who hack the TOC of an ordinary thumbdrive of 8 Gb or whatever. When you connect that thumbdrive and look for available space, you can see 2 Tb free. Copying of data goes on and on but the actual space is being overwritten untill the quantity you wanted to copy is written.. There are tons of information on internet of this scam. I didn´t know this until today when my curiosity was triggered by your post and I did a search on the subject. Hope to be proven wrong though - wouldn´t hurt with flashdrives to the tune of 8$ per Tb ;)
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:18 pm
nilsblomqvist wroteThere are 2 Tb flashdrives at the price of $1000. Then there are people who hack the TOC of an ordinary thumbdrive of 8 Gb or whatever. When you connect that thumbdrive and look for available space, you can see 2 Tb free. Copying of data goes on and on but the actual space is being overwritten untill the quantity you wanted to copy is written.. There are tons of information on internet of this scam. I didn´t know this until today when my curiosity was triggered by your post and I did a search on the subject. Hope to be proven wrong though - wouldn´t hurt with flashdrives to the tune of 8$ per Tb ;)

Oh, my. Sounds like that's what I might have bought. Hope not! But the old adage might be true... "If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't!"

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by nilsblomqvist on Thu May 28, 2020 5:01 am
Caught by the gravityfield of the big black hole a.k.a VSL. So far, I´ve got VEP7 & Synchron-ized Dim. Strings + Synchron-ized Special Edition Vol. 1 which I´m exploring..
Hopefully I will be able to emulate an exsisting smaller ensemble in an exsisting smaller venue.
As an example, to obtain two ww players, would it be possible to have two instances of Synchron Player where the same solo instrument is loaded in each, but one player is altered somewhat regarding EQ and humanize? (There are so many possibilities to alter the sound and timing.)
I would prefer Dimension versions of course but there are no such for woodwinds.
Brass Dim. exsists.. next buy.
:rtfm: The manual for VEP7 is daunting.
by michaelmyers1 on Thu May 28, 2020 9:50 pm
nilsblomqvist wroteCaught by the gravityfield of the big black hole a.k.a VSL. So far, I´ve got VEP7 & Synchron-ized Dim. Strings + Synchron-ized Special Edition Vol. 1 which I´m exploring..
Hopefully I will be able to emulate an exsisting smaller ensemble in an exsisting smaller venue.
As an example, to obtain two ww players, would it be possible to have two instances of Synchron Player where the same solo instrument is loaded in each, but one player is altered somewhat regarding EQ and humanize? (There are so many possibilities to alter the sound and timing.)
I would prefer Dimension versions of course but there are no such for woodwinds.
Brass Dim. exsists.. next buy.
:rtfm: The manual for VEP7 is daunting.

You could, but if the two instruments are playing in unison, you will get phasing problems. It will work fine if they are playing separate lines. Some of the WW have companion instruments (Flute I and Flute II, Oboe I and Oboe II, Bassoon I and Bassoon II, for instance) which are made for just this purpose.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by nilsblomqvist on Fri May 29, 2020 1:30 am
Thank you Michael! I suspected there could be some phasing.
So I need to get Synchron-ized Woodwinds and Synchron-ized Special Edition vol. 6 Dimension Brass... + maybe a Bass Tuba from Vi-series. (What´s with the Wagner Tubas in SE vol. 6 Dim. Brass?) VSL v:i´s really are something else.. My first experience with notation in a computer was Atari Mega ST4 and Notator in 1988. (Those were the days...)

9 posts
Page 1 of 1