5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have two series iii mixers. One is FOH, the other in another room for braodcast mix. I have the two successfully connected together. I have the braodcast mixer in monitor mode. I have a studio monitor coming from my broadcast mixer, connected to the Aux out that I'm mixing.

My intention was to mix an Aux, and send it to the braodcast switcher over the AVB. My issue is, I'm not sure how to get my mix to the switcher because the output of my mix needs to come from the FOH mixer. I did not find a way to route the Aux on the broadcast mixer to an AVB channel. What are my options?

Thank you.

Owner of 32/24/16 Series III Mixers, 32.4.2 Ai, RM32Ai, Studio 192, FaderPort, 2xULT18,2x328Ai
by SwitchBack on Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:47 am
In stagebox mode and monitor mode the main outputs of your broadcast mixer are taken over by the FOH mixer. So you’ll have to run both mixers in standalone mode.

Which is perfectly fine. All you have to do on the broadcast mixer is set all mixer inputs to AVB. Now both mixers use the same input (and preamp gain) on the channels but they are completely independent otherwise.
by martinav on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:09 am
Ok, sounds good. So the Aux outputs will also be active on the FOH mixer? I can mix Aux 1 on the Broadcast mixer, and take Aux 1 from the stand alone, and send to the switcher? Just confirming before I go and reset everything.

Thanks again!

Owner of 32/24/16 Series III Mixers, 32.4.2 Ai, RM32Ai, Studio 192, FaderPort, 2xULT18,2x328Ai
by SwitchBack on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 am
The digital patching on the Series III mixers is very powerful. The default AVB sends from both mixers make almost every input signal and output mix on a mixer available to the other mixer too. All you have to do on the receiving end is set input sources to AVB and patch the AVB sources that have the signals you want.

Note that a mixer's outputs also have an input source setting. The 'xlr plug' icon is the mixer's internal mix where the network icon will source the output from the network. That way you can replace a mixer's internal mix by a mix from the other mixer. Very flexible.

The two special mixer modes (stage box and monitor mixer) are really intended for those two specific applications only. They restrict a mixer's digital patching options by forcing the settings needed for the two special modes. Those restrictions will bite you when your application isn't quite a stage box or monitor mixer application.

Hope this helps :)
by martinav on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 pm
SwitchBack,

Thanks again. Tomorrow, I will see if I can connect my FOH mixer Aux1 to the video switcher, and mix on Aux1 on the Braodcast mixer. That is how I hope it works with default settings. I did see some other guy take his Aux out, and into a channel on the same board, then use that channel's AVB channel. That might work if they first way does not work.

Regards,
Rod

5 posts
Page 1 of 1