11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've looked through the forum and the manual and can't find a solution for this, though the question has been posted here before.

On my first use of S1P I've instantiated a mono audio track and am wanting to record to it. I've setup my audio device properly and can hear the audio with the track's monitor button depressed. The channel and track meters are moving with the notes I play. When I click the record enable button either in the console channel or the track, the record arm button is unresponsive and the monitor button extinguishes (along with the audio). I've tried arming the track from the Menu, the track record arm button, the channel record arm button, and just using 'R'.

With audio coming through to the track, what would prevent the record button from arming? Thanks.
Last edited by bitSync on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / Studio One Pro 4.6.1 / Mackie d8b + d8bridge DAW Controller / Frontier TranzPort DAW Controller / 3.06 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Mainboard, 2TB SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / 24 bit at 44.1 / New Belgium 1554
by Jemusic on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:17 pm
You might be in Automation mode. Try pressing 'A' and see if the track header goes back to normal. This is a common issue as in Automation mode the track headers look almost the same as normal mode.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by bitSync on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:37 pm
Jemusic wroteYou might be in Automation mode. Try pressing 'A' and see if the track header goes back to normal. This is a common issue as in Automation mode the track headers look almost the same as normal mode.

I think pressing 'A' put me in automation mode which has a different GUI than the normal track view. So I believe I am not in automation mode. When I press 'A' for automation mode, the track GUI no longer has a record arm button, just solo and mute. Yes, when I float over the GUI the tooltip says 'Automation Mode', so I wasn't in automation mode. Thanks for your response.

Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / Studio One Pro 4.6.1 / Mackie d8b + d8bridge DAW Controller / Frontier TranzPort DAW Controller / 3.06 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Mainboard, 2TB SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / 24 bit at 44.1 / New Belgium 1554
by Jemusic on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:25 pm
Ok. For record to work correctly the track must have a valid input. Can you upload an image of your IN/OUT settings. That might give us a clue. Track should be assigned to an output as well eg MAIN.

Does the Record button look greyed out for example. If it is it means you have no input selected.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by bitSync on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:16 pm
Jemusic wroteOk. For record to work correctly the track must have a valid input. Can you upload an image of your IN/OUT settings. That might give us a clue. Track should be assigned to an output as well eg MAIN.

Does the Record button look greyed out for example. If it is it means you have no input selected.

The record button is the same color gray as the mute and solo buttons, neither of which are enabled. The monitor button is blue.

The mono input selected is the RME HDSP9652 ADAT1 (Left) which is fed by the RME ADI8-QS A/D converter.. The output of the channel is routed to the console Main. I can hear and see the input signal on the track and channel meters and the console Main meter. The fact that I can see and hear the input signal means I have a valid input selected.

I don't have a place at the moment to save screen scrapes to link to. Grateful for your assistance.

by Jemusic on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:48 pm
Record button greyed out means there is no input to the track. You not have set up your IN/OUT settings correctly. What options do you have for the input to the track.

With those IN/OUT settings too it may look like you have connected various things eg the little squares look like they are connected but they may not be. Those little squares need to be a bright blue colour in fact. Once you have made those connections, you have to click APPLY and then OK for them to light up correctly.

I would also be setting up the analog connections first before the ADAT connections.

by bitSync on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 pm
Jemusic wroteRecord button greyed out means there is no input to the track. You not have set up your IN/OUT settings correctly. What options do you have for the input to the track.

I'm not sure what you mean by "greyed out". The record enable button when it is not armed is gray, the same gray as the mute and solo buttons. When armed for recording it is red (which I am unable to do). Is there a different color gray for the record arm button when there is no input, i.e., when it is "greyed out"? As near as I can tell there is only one color gray for the record arm button; it's not "greyed out" any more than the other deselected buttons.

As far as options for input to the track I can choose any one of the 8 ADAT feeds from the A/D converter on the RME host card. I'm fairly certain that the I/O is setup correctly.

Jemusic wroteWith those IN/OUT settings too it may look like you have connected various things eg the little squares look like they are connected but they may not be. Those little squares need to be a bright blue colour in fact. Once you have made those connections, you have to click APPLY and then OK for them to light up correctly.

I've got to admit, you lost me on that last bit.

Jemusic wroteI would also be setting up the analog connections first before the ADAT connections.

The ADAT lightpipe connections are from the A/D converter to the RME HDSP9652 host card. They are permanently routed between the two devices.

Any more ideas are surely welcome. I've submitted a support ticket. Thanks.

by Jemusic on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 pm
Can you provide an image of your INPUT settings and OUTPUT setting from the Audio IN/OUT page.

by bitSync on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 pm
Jemusic wroteCan you provide an image of your INPUT settings and OUTPUT setting from the Audio IN/OUT page.

I'll try to do that tomorrow. Thanks!

by bitSync on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 pm
I may have just found a clue. I tried to save the song file I was working on and got an Access Denied message from the operating system for the Songs directory...

by bitSync on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:02 am
Solved. It turns out the S1P Songs directory was read only, and despite attempts to change that the directory always reverted to read only, so I was unable to save the song file there. I selected Save As and saved it to the desktop which has read/write privileges. The file saved OK and when I went to record enable the track it armed just fine. So the directory permissions were preventing the record enable button from opening a new file for writing and consequently the track wouldn't arm. A diagnostic message from S1P would be helpful in the event the Songs directory cannot be written to, rather than just a silent failed record enable.

Signal routing is fine.

Anyways, I just need to have the song files go into a directory with read/write privileges. Problem solved. Hopefully, this is helpful to anyone else encountering this problem.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1