FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sorry for the the all caps title of this post, but I can hardly contain my excitement..

Today (25.2.2020), after installing the newly released Universal Control & Firmware updates for my Faderport 8 MIDI MODE IS FINALLY WORKING!!

With the FP8 in Midi Mode I can finally move fader 1, 2, 3, etc. and Studio One will receive (and now also.. use :D ) modulation, expression etc etc which is correctly used by virtual instruments! Just keep in mind you have to have the FP setup as "Keyboard", and use the new MIDIIN2 and MIDIOUT2 ports when setting the receive from & to settings in your external devices.

This is so incredibly awesome I think I can't go to sleep for the next 5 hours :D :D

Thank you for listening to your customers Presonus! :punk: :punk:

PS: did another quick test with two tracks (one on MIDI ch1 and one on MIDI ch2) both pointing to the same Kontakt instance, which has 2 instruments inside, one for each track.

Switching from track 1 to track 2 actually sends the MIDI data to the right instrument (loaded in the same Kontakt instance) giving us full support to finally use multi timbral Kontakt instances!!

This is going to seriously reduce the amount of resources needed to load & save large templates.

Awesomeness!

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by muziksculp on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 pm
bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer wroteSorry for the the all caps title of this post, but I can hardly contain my excitement..

Just keep in mind you have to have the FP setup as "Keyboard", and use the new MIDIIN2 and MIDIOUT2 ports when setting the receive from & to settings in your external devices.

Does Presonus have any documentation/instructions on this detail in the new updates ?

These new midi ports were most likely needed to be able switch back and forth between MIDI Mode, and Normal Mode without Re-booting the FP. So, just adding the FP8 as a 'Keyboard' device, and setting both the Receive From, and Send To to the new MIDIIN2, and MIDIOUT2 is all that I have to do to get it work after updating the UC and firmware ?

I will update both UC and FP8 firmware later today. and test it out.

Thanks for the very helpful feedback. :thumbup:

Studio One Pro 6.0.2 , FaderPort 8, ATOM. (Windows 10).

HW Synths, Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, HW & VST Effects, and Various Acoustic Instruments
by jurijgianlucaricotti on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:12 am
whoa that's great, we will need docs and tutorials soon, please.

MacPro M1 Pro, 64Gb Ram, Macbook Pro M1 16Gb OSX Mojave Ram RME Audio UFX+, Faderport 16, Persons Quantum2, Komplete Control S49 MK2, Maschine MK3, Atom, Audio Ribera Mics, Neve Preamp 1073, Audient Pre, Outboard: Maselec MLA2, Elysia, JGR VC4, Eventide H3500. Software: Studio One4, Protools 12, Cubase, Logic, DSP-Quattro. Plugs: PSP Audio, Acustica Audio, Ik Multimedia, FabFilter, NI Komplete Ultimate, Rob Papen all plugs, OverLoud plugs, Pianoteq 6, Addictive Drums and Key, Acustica Audio Plugs. Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Stylux, Trillian. Izotope all plugs. Metrichalo Channel strip.
by muziksculp on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:39 pm
Hi,

I just wanted to confirm that the FP8 is now working great as a MIDI CC controller, in Studio One Pro 4.61. (Windows 10), after updating both the UC to ver. 3.2.056558 and FP8 Firmware to ver. 3.42

Interestingly, I couldn't find the official Presonus Instructions on how to set things up (Any clue as to where they could be ?)

Thanks to 'bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer' who mentioned in his opening post here, that a new Keyboard device needs to be created for the FP8/16, and then setting the MIDI Ports of the device to the newly available MIDI IN 2 and MIDI OUT 2 Ports. Here is a pic of the way I have it setup.

You should also have the FaderPort 8/16 setup as a Control Surface in your External HW setup, This is how it looks in my setup :

To Switch to MIDI Mode, you just press the two SHIFT Buttons on the FaderPort 8/16 Simultaneously, which switches the FP to MIDI Mode. You can now use the Faders to send the MIDI CCs to your instrument, then switch back to FP Normal Mode, by pressing the two SHIFT Buttons simultaneously one more time. The Faders are preset to the following CC Numbers.

F1 = CC 1 (Modulation), F2 = CC11 (Expression), F3 = CC 7 (Volume), F4 = CC 10 (Pan), F5 = CC 5 (Portamento Time), F6 = CC 84 (Portamento Control), F7 = CC 2 (Breath Control), F8 = 16 (General Purpose 1).

Here is a pic of the FP8 in MIDI Mode.

It would be great if Presonus would make their documentations easy to find/access regarding new features, and how to set things up.

I would also like it very much if Presonus offers complete customization of which CC's we would like to assign to each fader in the future, instead of being restricted to the ones they are programmed to.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

HW Synths, Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, HW & VST Effects, and Various Acoustic Instruments
by TomTama on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:36 am
MIDIIN 2 and MIDIOUT 2 don't show up on my Mac. Does anyone have this working on a MAC?

2013 Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, TB2, 64GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.7, Dell 43" 4K Monitor, Luna Display, 2X Apollo x8, Apollo x8p, UAD OCTO TB3 Satellite, UAD QUAD TB3 Satellite, UAD V9.14.5, UA OX 1.2, Studio One 5.4, Dangerous Dbox+, Dangerous 2-Bus LT, MiniDSP w/Dirac 2.0, Behringer PowerPlay P16-M & P16-I, ATOM, SSL UF8, Akai Advance 49, Focal Twin 6be, Focal Sub6
by pascalperennou on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:50 am
you can program midiCC with the studio one mode

imac late 2013, studio one 6, faderport 8, audient audio, Yamaha arius, Epiphone Sheraton , Yamaha apx, eris 3.5
+1 on the configurable CC per fader. The defaults are good enough for most stuff, but some instruments simply have other requirements.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by 60s Pop Man on Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm
TomTama wroteMIDIIN 2 and MIDIOUT 2 don't show up on my Mac. Does anyone have this working on a MAC?

As you've probably figured out, with the FP powered off, open the macOS Audio MIDI Setup Utility, select the FaderPort device, and delete it. Then power on the FP. It will reappear in the setup utility.
The FP MIDI ports will now be visible when setting up the new Keyboard in S1 .

Setup is shown at at 1:24.
Extra step for macOS setup is at 1:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_bPZQYVnA
Last edited by 60s Pop Man on Wed May 13, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) / macOS 13.6 / S1 6.5 Pro / Melodyne 5 Editor / Notion 6.8.4 / Faderport 8, Eris 5
by 60s Pop Man on Wed May 13, 2020 4:00 pm
muziksculp wroteDoes Presonus have any documentation/instructions on this detail in the new updates ?

This Presonus video is available.

Setup begins at 1:24.

Cheers!

M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) / macOS 13.6 / S1 6.5 Pro / Melodyne 5 Editor / Notion 6.8.4 / Faderport 8, Eris 5
by muziksculp on Wed May 13, 2020 4:43 pm
CSeye wrote
muziksculp wroteDoes Presonus have any documentation/instructions on this detail in the new updates ?

This Presonus video is available.

Setup begins at 1:24.

Cheers!

Hi,

Yes, I watched this video, it was posted a while after the initial release of the midi mode for faderports. so, it wasn't posted when I asked the question.

Thanks

10 posts
Page 1 of 1