5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All - first post for me.

I have just tried for the first time to record acoustic drums. I have an audio box two input interface with a Rode NT1a as an OH and an SM58 on snare. My issue is that even with the gain knob turned down on the audio box, the input on my audio tracks clip. I don't want to move the mics away from the drums as this will affect the sound. Also, the Peak LED on the interface does NOT light up.

How do I reduce the input level so that the clipping in S1 is removed??

Signal path is mic>audio box>S1.

thanks,
Marc
by SwitchBack on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:14 pm
Hi and welcome :)

Odd, that shouldn’t happen. I wonder if something in S1 isn’t set right. Have you tried recording with monitoring (the little speaker button on the tracks) switched off?

Here’s another thread by someone struggling with too strong recording levels. Maybe compare notes? :)
by marclevitsky on Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:33 pm
Thanks - I looked the other thread and the issue is not quite the same. I don't have any issues with playback volume, my issue is just an input signal being too high. The snare drum clip level (the red number at the top of the track fader) is about 30, so it's not massive, but not right. I've found on You Tube that Version 4 now has an input gain control - this is exactly what I need but alas, version 3 that I have doesn't have this feature. I ended up putting the mics through a separate mixer to reduce the signal level and bypassing the Audio Box interface altogether to get the level right but this is a total faff as you can imagine.
Never had any issues with VOX or Bass Di. I am assuming it's the drums being so much loader??

Lets see if anyone else has any ideas.
Cheers.
by SwitchBack on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:44 pm
What resolution did you choose for your song? 16 or 24 bit or 32 bit float? And what precision did you choose for your interface? As long as you don't clip the interface and its A/D converter you should be able to get a clean recording. Even if inside S1 peaks go over 0dB and trigger the meter clip lights.

Also note that the Inspector in S1 allows you to change track gain to match playback loudness between recorded tracks.
by marclevitsky on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 pm
thanks for the replay - I'll try recording with the clipping and see what it sounds like.

cheers.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1