FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I've bought Faderport 8 and installed the Artist V4 version that comes with it. Studio one artist V4 is registered with the license provided. I've then installed Universal Control and updated the firmware of Faderport 8 to V3.32. I have restarted my computer and select as host Studio one on the Faderport.

I've restarted studio one and my computer but I keep reading the message "Studio one waiting for host"

I've checked the preferences menu and then external devices, but it's empty. When I select add and go to faderport 8 and check the receive from / send to drop down menu there's no faderport 8 listed. Just the midi from my A500 pro.

Any idea what's going on?
Last edited by martijnsterk1 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by martijnsterk1 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm
I did a factory reset through the menu and I had Studio one open. Suddently I got the message from windows that faderport 8 was found and it's now listed in Studio one and the version is V1.01

As soon as I update to V3.32 it's not listed anymore in windows or studio one.. is there a driver problem here?

Any solution?
Obviously S1 doesnt see the FP8.

With the Faderport switched on, open "Device Manager". Is it listed like this ? (not sure if you have two entries like me or just one - just check if its there)

Untitled 4.jpg

If its not, then likely its either a driver issue (UC). Perhaps a clean install of the driver would help - I would recommend opening a support ticket with Presonus to let them assist you here. Also check if there are any "unknown devices" or something similar that Windows saw but just doesnt know what to do with.

If the Faderport is listed, then lets move on...

Make sure UC running. Please check your Windows Services: open your start menu and type "services" and hit enter. In this list go and find "Presonus Hardware Access Service". This should be running, and started automatically when Windows starts:

Untitled 6.jpg

If this is also fine, then...

I recommend installing MIDI-OX from http://www.midiox.com/. Its a small tool that allows you to see the MIDI data being sent to/from your MIDI devices. Just make sure you select the FaderPort device in Options / MIDI devices. Make sure you don't do this with S1 running, as only one program at a time can open the same MIDI port to a device.

With that done, and your FaderPort in "waiting for Studio One" state, press some buttons and move some faders. You should see a similar output as this:

Untitled 2.jpg

If you see MIDI data, its means UC is installed correctly, drivers are functioning, and your PC is receiving MIDI data from your FaderPort. At this point we can safely say that if S1 can't see it, it is mostly an S1 issue. Again, I would recommend to contact support directly in this case.

If not, then Windows does not see the FaderPort and in that case its likely not an S1 related issue.

I had a similar problem and after a lot of trouble shooting it turned out to be the USB cable. Although the cable was not faulty (other devices worked fine with it), it was apparently not doing something right for the FaderPort. Do you use the supplied cable?

Also try to directly connect it to your PC, and not via a USB hub. And disconnect any other MIDI devices you might have just to simplify troubleshooting.

Other than that the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps some overly active antivirus-like program, although I have to say that it's a bit of a long shot. In my experience its usually not the case.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by martijnsterk1 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 pm
bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer wroteObviously S1 doesnt see the FP8.

With the Faderport switched on, open "Device Manager". Is it listed like this ? (not sure if you have two entries like me or just one - just check if its there)

Untitled 4.jpg

If its not, then likely its either a driver issue (UC). Perhaps a clean install of the driver would help - I would recommend opening a support ticket with Presonus to let them assist you here. Also check if there are any "unknown devices" or something similar that Windows saw but just doesnt know what to do with.

Thank you for the response.

Here's the problem already with V3.32.

As soon as I hit Factory reset on the unit. It's listed under Device Manager. When I succesfully update the unit to V3.32 it's gone under Device Manager and when I hit reset once again it's back.

I've also tried with a different computer (two laptops) and both have the same issue.

It's defintely related with the firmware.

I'd do did a clean windows installation and only installed Studio one and the faderport 8 and I still have the same problem.
by matthewgorman on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:44 pm
What version of S1 is installed?

I second the idea of a support ticket.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
I think support in this case is the best option. I've never seen this in my setup, and I am not able to reproduce this.

Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by martijnsterk1 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm
matthewgorman wroteWhat version of S1 is installed?

I second the idea of a support ticket.

Studio One 4 Artist
v4.6.1 build 55987

I think it's not a studio one problem. As soon as I update to the latest firmware V3.32 windows does not see faderport 8 anymore. Only when I do a factory reset to V1.01. I haven't tried versions before V3.32 or know where to get them from.

I've send in a ticket. Let's see if they can solve the issue. Will update with solution if they have any.
by martijnsterk1 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:16 pm
Well I've figured it out with support.

Here's what I did.

They told me to install driver V3.0 and see if that worked.

I had to do a factory reset and installed update Universal Control v3.0.1.52030 and it worked. I was thinking what if the problem is that the latest driver is missing something from the ones before and it cannot be directly installed over the factory firmware (V1.01). I decided to install a later driver and grabbed the second latest driver v3.1.1.54569 and it worked too. Finally Universal Control v3.1.2.54970 and guess what, it worked!.

With the first firmware I noticed that it was downloading packages (11xx?) and with the last two only a numeric percentage in the displays.

It looks to me that the driver from 19th november 2019, cannot be installed directly over the factory firmware (V1.01). I assume that the latest driver is missing something, the v3.0.1.52030 has (and maybe others too)

So for anyone with the same issue, try above and see if it works!

Perhaps someone else can flash it back to Factory firmware and directly install the latest firmware. I'm betting you will have the same issue.
Great that you got it working! And also good you opened a ticket so that Presonus is aware and can update those installers.

by CPhoenix on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:22 am
I'm having the same issue. My FP8 randomly stopped working a couple of days ago. Updated firmware from the factory firmware and it's "waiting for host".

I will try the above and pray, thx.

Win 8.1 x64 // i7 3930K (@ 4.2GHz) // Samsung Pro 512GB // 500GB SSD (via Raid 0) // 32GB RAM // MSI X79a GD45 Plus mobo

DAW(s): Studio One v3 // Maschine Studio // Reason 7
Plugs: UAD 2 Quad, Klanghelm, Toneboosters, Soundtoys, others
Instr.: a lot of stuff

RME UCX // SM7b // Warm Audio Tonebeast12 & WA76 // Black Lion Audio Sparrow Red ADC // FMR RNLA // Korg Kaossilator Pro // Yamaha Motif XS Rack // Akai Advance 61 // Sennheiser HD 650 // Korg MicroKey 25 // Presonus Faderport // Contour Designs Shuttle Pro
by CPhoenix on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 am
Okay.... this was a seriously painful experience. Somehow it worked now... I'm not 100% why it did not work. None of the above items that fixed your issue worked for me.

Here's what I experienced start to finish:
1) One day, I noticed my project in S1 started playing back the midi notes all wrong... as though it was doing a whole note quantize randomly. It was bad. Restarts helped... then a few mins would go by and the midi playback would be horrifically jumpy. I have no idea if this is related to the topic issue, but they coincided.
2) I then noticed at some point my faderport8 stopped recognizing channel names, faders weren't responding to S1 mixer, transport wasn't working, etc. It lost it's connection to S1 somehow.

Okay, I do the following myriad of things to attempt to fix it:
A) figured out how to factory reset (not easy to find instructions.. the manual isn't helpful here... I needed to find a Presonus youtube video where the woman showed how to do it on FP8
B) tried to above re-installation process. It did not work. The old FP8 drivers did not connect to S1v4 (obviously... I didn't expect them to). But. no versions of v3 connected after upgrading from factory.

The only thing that eventually seems to have gotten it working is
1) starting FP8 in HUI mode forced Windows 10 to finally recognize the driver. Once it recognized the driver, S1 then could access it. Opening S1 and THEN setting FP8 to Studio One mode helped S1 grab the driver. It didn't seem to do this if I set FP8 to S1 and then opened S1 after.. FP8 just never found the host. I did this on the first v3 univeersal control driver.
2) once it finally worked for that old v3 driver, I updated universal control to the very latest. I was scared, so I again opened S1 first and then followed the above steps for the latest driver... and it seems to have finally stuck.
3) it took 2-3 restarts for FP8 to work properly with the updated driver.. but, it is now working for me again.

My assessment: this is literally the first issue i've had with FP8 in 2 years. So something betwen WIndows 10, FP8, and S1 got messed up in the past few weeks. Very painful to get it working again.

Win 8.1 x64 // i7 3930K (@ 4.2GHz) // Samsung Pro 512GB // 500GB SSD (via Raid 0) // 32GB RAM // MSI X79a GD45 Plus mobo

DAW(s): Studio One v3 // Maschine Studio // Reason 7
Plugs: UAD 2 Quad, Klanghelm, Toneboosters, Soundtoys, others
Instr.: a lot of stuff

RME UCX // SM7b // Warm Audio Tonebeast12 & WA76 // Black Lion Audio Sparrow Red ADC // FMR RNLA // Korg Kaossilator Pro // Yamaha Motif XS Rack // Akai Advance 61 // Sennheiser HD 650 // Korg MicroKey 25 // Presonus Faderport // Contour Designs Shuttle Pro

11 posts
Page 1 of 1