52 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3
I am not chasing crosstalk. I am trying to understand the difference between Tape as a Mix FX on the master vs inserted on the master. My common sense tells me crosstalk would be at least one of the differences with Mix FX vs insert on the master. Are you saying otherwise?

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, iMac, OS 10.14.6
2.8GHz 4-Core i7, 16GB RAM, MBP, OS 12.6
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by darrenporter1 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:19 am
Crosstalk is available in Tape whichever way you use it. Of course, since CS/CTC is MixFX-only, that answers itself. Just be aware it IS there and in my experience, unless you are VERY careful with CS/CTC your entire stereo field will collapse into lifeless mono. I've moved on from MixFX and see it as a novelty... something Presonus can say they have and nobody else does... but something that, for me, does not bring anything to the table that I can't get somewhere else with a whole lot less strain on the CPU. (For what its worth, all my "console shaping" comes from Console 1 inserted on everything. I am much happier with the results with that.)

Only way to know the difference for sure is to just try Tape in both places and go with what floats your boat. Like I said, your 9th-gen i9 is more than up to the task. My 8th-gen i5... it can do it but it starts to huff and puff trying to keep up... lol. What you proposed should work just fine, but I was just pointing out you may not need the extra routing with that Tape bus.

Something else to try would be to insert Tape as the very first insert fx on the individual mix buses (drums, bass, guitars, vocals, etc.) That might get you more "true to life mixing from 2" tape" vibe than just putting it in one place. I know there are a LOT of UAD users who insert a tape plugin first in the chain on every single track... that simulates exactly how it worked "back in the day." Heck, your CPU may allow you to do that with Tape. You are blessed with a lot of CPU horsepower!

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by BezowinZ on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:55 am
I'll have to just experiment. I know CT is always available with Tape, but I assumed using it as an insert on the master/mix bus would make some features useless, like CT.

Not having yet used it, Mix FX seems like a quicker and more efficient way to effect channels individually. But I don't see a lot of S1 users raving about it, so maybe it's not as cool as it sounds. Either way, I hope they invest time in improving it. It's a cool idea. I believe Reason has something similar, but it sounds less intrusive, and their users seem to love it.

And yeah, I was going to try Tape on the sub mixes as well. Generally, I'm looking for the most efficient way (time & CPU) to mix using tape & console emulations. Tape/console emus have been a part of my sound production wise. Despite writing & producing for a while, doing full blown mixes is new to me. So I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible while maintaining flexibility and achieving a quality mix.

Thanks!

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, iMac, OS 10.14.6
2.8GHz 4-Core i7, 16GB RAM, MBP, OS 12.6
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by darrenporter1 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 pm
Definitely report back with what you tried and your impressions! I'm very interested to hear how you like it.

by jgharding on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 am
Softube Tape on MIX FX is excellent, I wouldn't work without it now. Just ties it all together

PC: i7-4710HQ CPU 2.5gHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M

Windows 10

INTERFACE: RME Fireface UFX
by darrenporter1 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 am
jgharding wroteSoftube Tape on MIX FX is excellent, I wouldn't work without it now. Just ties it all together

Do you use it on all buses or just the main mix bus?

by Blades on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:38 am
Hey darrenporter1, I really like my console 1 here. Last tune I did I used almost only that plus some reverb and such, but no other eq or comp or anything.

I think it's fun, intuitive, and sounds great. I didn't really care much for the CTC built into s1 and when I tried the vst demo of the console 1 api, it was immediately a better option for me.

I got my console1 on eBay for about $385. Sure wish I could get the API or British channel for free as a "new owner" but I have asked and Been told no a few times...

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by darrenporter1 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 am
Yeah I agree with you... my "insert fx rack" is a lot smaller these days too and because C1 is sooo CPU friendly, I can put it on everything. Occasional surgical EQ, a special effect here and there, maybe bx_opto or Fat Channel when I want an LA2A compressor...

I need to buy Summit Grand Channel next and #1 on my wishlist for Softube is an SSL G-Bus compressor that is C1-friendly. I have the American Class A but I've never really used it up to this point. I just love the 4k and Brit channels so much. Pushing the input and drive on the Brit for a drum bus.... mmmmmmm fat syrupy goodness. like swirling your bacon in the leftover pancake syrup :-)

I was going to buy a used one too then they came out with the "free Brit Class A" promo and I wanted that anyways so it became the better value to just buy a new one.

BUT you are in luck... they are all on sale right now and you won't find them for a lower price...
$113 for Brit and Summit, $167 for Amer channels.
http://everyplugin.com/catalogsearch/ad ... nufacturer[]=13

copy and paste that link directly into your browser.... the forum software does not like the "[]=13" at the end for some reason...

by Blades on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 pm
So - this link doesn't work, but I went to the site, setup a new account and I'm awaiting a link to confirm my account. That said - do you really thing that the British is worth the purchase compared to the SSL 4k? I watched some videos and it seems like it's pretty cool, but the "limited" EQ options - is it really woeth the $hundred and whatever for the British option? I like the fact that the 4k is completely selectable and almost didn't get the Console1 because I thought it might be limited to certain ranges (like the API demo was).

What say you, DarrneProrter1? Can't exactly get a demo of the British Channel and I don't really do a lot of recording, so hard to know if this is worth the bucks - though the Console1 is really cool to me, so I'm inclined to say "yeah, whatever" and spend it anyway! :)

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by Blades on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Hmmm - ok - so you CAN demo this. Checking out the British Channel now...

Using:
by Blades on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 pm
Ok. Dang. Just compared just the bus on my drums between the same settings on the SSL 4k and the British on Console 1 and it is pretty night and day between the two. The 4k sounds really nice until you listen to the British - and then it is just so much fuller and richer

So - it would be a lot easier if you could select a number of channels at once and switch between the emulations. Is there a way to do this with more than one channel at once? From what I've found so far, you have to do this one channel at a time.

Thoughts?

Using:
by darrenporter1 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:05 am
Blades wroteOk. Dang. Just compared just the bus on my drums between the same settings on the SSL 4k and the British on Console 1 and it is pretty night and day between the two. The 4k sounds really nice until you listen to the British - and then it is just so much fuller and richer

So - it would be a lot easier if you could select a number of channels at once and switch between the emulations. Is there a way to do this with more than one channel at once? From what I've found so far, you have to do this one channel at a time.

Thoughts?

I don't want to clog this thread with Q&A over Console 1 (I guess that's my fault... lol) so I created a new thread for general Tips and Q&A for using C1 with S1 and answered your question there:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=37992

52 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3