29 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
darrenporter1 wrote
Jemusic wroteAll modern affordable audio interfaces will do an excellent job.

"Adequate job" would be a more accurate phrase here. If you want true "excellence" in an audio interface, you need to be willing to pay for it.

Based on the wording of the original post, the OP is a long way from maxing out the abilities of the audio interfaces that he has. Technique is more likely an issue, but it never hurts to have a good pair of piano mics.

Dan
by Tacman7 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 am
The OP said he uses his grand piano as a table for his computer.

Not sure if he wants to mic it.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by darrenporter1 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:06 am
Well we probably scared him off... LOTS of assumptions here about what he has, what he hasn't, what his skill level is and very few people trying to directly answer his questions. There were a couple others. Hopefully he sees those posts and ignores the noise that was generated here in response to people giving direct honest answers to his specific questions.

Some of the noise is valid and truthful, but just not helpful in this case.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by sirmonkey on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm
redbaron,

Do you have any music recorded that you can post? Actually hearing a recording you made
will likely lead to suggestions about how you record, before you spend a dime.
For example, one person might notice a background hum, and be able to recognize the source.
Another person might hear some non-optimal resonances, and know how to fix it. And another person
might be able to suggest mic placement...and so on.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by jBranam on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:19 pm
just to be irritating lol... any decent cable is fine imo... but length has a LOT to do with quality (strength of signal). if you need long go long and deal with it. but if you use them short distances... as was said... get the appropriate length needed. NEVER use cables coiled or lapping over each other... even shielded you can pick up unwanted interference. i also agree any interface of reasonable quality is far better than they used to be (pre and DAC related). as for mic's there are tons of great mics but if you are recording a piano per se i would agree in using a stereo set for the best quality if you can afford a set.. if not... use what you got. that is a big instrument and the whole thing sounds/rings out. but in the end... there are no rules... do what is good for you. everyone will have an opinion :)

but the biggest thing from what i have said is... don't cross your cables or use them rolled in a coil (or overly long cable piled up over short distances) your only asking for trouble. cables work like antennas and can 'receive' radio frequencies (RF) hence why they are shielded mainly to fight RF interference but they also act like resistors which can detract from signals over long distances :) cheers

jay

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by roland1 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 pm
Here's the take-away: none of what you should be concerned about has anything to do with your Realtek drivers. If you've got an interface, that's doing all the work of moving sound back and forth through your system.

Beyond that, there are things you can do to improve the sound. But first, you have to determine whether you already have a good sound, or whether you need to upgrade to a better mic or something else in the chain.

That's pretty much it. Forget all concerns about the Realtek / motherboard internal sound feature because you're not using it for recording, from what you're telling us.

Good luck. :)

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Lokeyfly on Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 am
Hi  redbaron1,
Look for a good interface though, as mentioned. An Audiobox, or on par a Focusrite Scarlett certainly are not low on the quality list. However, there certainly is crap to be had with some audio interfaces, so look for a reputable one. Preamps, along with the DAC quality are key, and a number of mfr's cut corners that don't make the grade, if you're truly looking for pristine quality. I could name some real dogs, but I won't. No, Audio interfaces are not equal and you'll need to look into that. You won't have to spend a pile of dough, but know prices vary (as also mentioned) and it's just not due to someone's imagination. Darren provided a nice and affordable audio interface option as well.

Secondly, all the supporting input of looking at those other things are complimentary such as some descent yet affordable large diaphragm mic's. Also the whole gambit of good recording practices. Your DAW largely won't limit quality in any way, and on the other hand will reveal any garbage in/garbage out of other equipment, or you. The Realtek drivers are a non issue. A good interface and with good mic(s), and good recording habits should be the target.

One good way to quantify "good" or "good enough", is to provide a sample of what it is you're hearing.
Good luck! Hey, we all have our budgets, so you can get great help from "our friendly staff". :)
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by dcumpian on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 am
Lokeyfly wroteHi dcumpian,
Look for a good interface though, as mentioned. An Audiobox, or on par a Focusrite Scarlett certainly are not low on the quality list. However, there certainly is crap to be had with some audio interfaces, so look for a reputable one. Preamps, along with the DAC quality are key, and a number of mfr's cut corners that don't make the grade, if you're truly looking for pristine quality. I could name some real dogs, but I won't. No, Audio interfaces are not equal and you'll need to look into that. You won't have to spend a pile of dough, but know prices vary (as also mentioned) and it's just not due to someone's imagination. Darren provided a nice and affordable audio interface option as well.

Secondly, all the supporting input of looking at those other things are complimentary such as some descent yet affordable large diaphragm mic's. Also the whole gambit of good recording practices. Your DAW largely won't limit quality in any way, and on the other hand will reveal any garbage in/garbage out of other equipment, or you. The Realtek drivers are a non issue. A good interface and with good mic(s), and good recording habits should be the target.

One good way to quantify "good" or "good enough", is to provide a sample of what it is you're hearing.
Good luck! Hey, we all have our budgets, so you can get great help from "our friendly staff". :)

Agreed. Too bad I already know that stuff. The OP does not.

Dan
by Lokeyfly on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 pm
Lol. Ehhhh, an E train jumped out in front of me. :)
I'm on the subway here in NYC.

Actually, wrong page jumped out in front of me. My bad. Anyway, I'm glad you knew all that.

OK, the OP will figure it out if they havent already run for the hills.

For clarifying, I fixed the name. TY, Dan. :)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

29 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2