Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
is it possible to use multiple channels for a vsti like Play and send the instruments to separate staves so instead of 16 instances i could 1 instance and 16 channels
NJ
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:05 am
Not clear what you're asking. Are you talking about sending staves to multiple channels in a VST? I do that all the time with VEPro. Not sure how Play works.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:05 pm
There are two scenarios, and one of them is easier to explain and to do--mostly because Surf.Whammy prefers the "easy" scenario . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Extending the observations made by MichaelMyers1, there are two ways to do this--presuming EastWest/Soundsonline "Play" is a compliant VSTi virtual instrument, of course, which it certainly appears to be based on the User Guid for Play 6 . . .

Play 6 User Guide (EastWest/Soundsonline)

(1) everything done entirely in NOTION

(2) music notation on ReWire MIDI staves in NOTION with the VSTi virtual instrument(s) hosted in Studio One Professional

VIDEOS AND TUTORIALS

(1) These videos and tutorials from the Surf.Whammy "Vault of Knowledge" shows the first strategy in what might be the most extremely absurd scenario in the known universe . . .

[NOTE: This was done in 2014 when NOTION was 32-bits, but so what. It works the same in NOTION 6, which now is 64-bits. The VSTi virtual instrument is SampleTank (a personal favorite), but all of them are the same when they support multiple channels, which typically are groups via buses where each bus has 16 available channels. If you want 80 instruments, then divide by 16 to determine how many instances of the respective VSTi virtual instrument you will need, but observe in the second strategy that Surf.Whammy finds it better to construct songs in layers where each layer has at most perhaps 10 hosted instruments for a total of 10 channels at a time . . . ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

(2) These videos and tutorials show the second strategy where the NOTION staves are ReWire MIDI staves and the VSTi virtual instrument(s) are hosted in Studio One Professional . . .

phpBB [video]

In this strategy, which focuses on building a song in layers, when the VSTi virtual instrument set for a layer is completed, the next step is to record the generated audio to Studio One Professional audio tracks, when then makes it possible to save the ".song" with a layer number and then to do a "Save As . . . " to create a new version of the ".song", where you can remove the current VSTi virtual instruments and then start working on a new set of real instruments, real voices, and VSTi virtual instruments for the new layer . . .

It's an iterative process, where you work on one layer at a tine, begging with a set of VSTi virtual instruments, which when you are satisfied are recorded to audio tracks, after which you do a "Save' with a layer number than then do a "Save As . . ." to create another new layer to the ".song" . . .

I do approximately 10 VSTi virtual instruments per layer primarily (a) to avoid overloading the computer and (b) to keep it as simple as practical . . .

At the end of the process, the Studio One Professional ".song" only has already-recorded audio tracks; and to keep it simple, ti group the audio tracks into subgroups, so that instead of working with 50 to 100 individual audio tracks, I can work with a logical handful of subgroups and hide the everything else, although the ability to focus on detail always is present, either in the subgrouped and exported then imported ".song" or in the previous non-grouped ".song" . . .

When creating a song in layers, the strategy is to focus on details and then to consolidate, which ultimately leads to a version that is highly consolidated to make it easier to do final producing and mixing . . .

It's easier, and it conserves computer resources . . .

Some instruments and voices can be kept as individual audio tracks, but most of the instruments can be subgrouped, which involves doing submixes and so forth . . .

By saving everything layer-by-layer, you can revist any layer to do a bit of fine-tuning, but overall after you do this a few times, the goal is to develop techniques for doing the submixes so that you do not need to revisit them . . .

Mastering this requires a bit of practice and a calibrated full-range studio monitor system enhanced with a pair of deep-pass subwoofers, all with a flat equal loudness curve at 85 dB SPL using a dBA weighting, but so what . . .

It's the only way you can be assured that what you are hearing is accurate . . . :+1

This is the current version of the song and it has a bunch of VSTi virtual instruments--done in layers--and fabulous vocals both real and virtual (Realivox Blue, Surf.Whammy's favorite virtual female soprano) . . .

Realivox Blue (RealiTone)

[NOTE; This is best enjoyed when listening with studio-quality headphones like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite), because it's easier to hear the motion-based effects and instrumentation; but it also sounds good played through studio monitors, of course . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Project: Rewire ~ NOTION + Studio One Professional

SUMMARY

It should work the same with EastWest/Soundsonline "Play 6" as a VSTi virtual instrument . . .

Some of the "Play 6" user interface probably will be a bit different, but look at everything, and it should make intuitive sense . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by njcurrie on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteNot clear what you're asking. Are you talking about sending staves to multiple channels in a VST? I do that all the time with VEPro. Not sure how Play works.

i mean having 1 instance of Play loaded in Notion and having multiple instruments loaded in that instance and then driving a separate staff for each of the loaded instruments instead of loading multiple instances in Notion...
NJ
by njcurrie on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 pm
Surf.Whammy wroteThere are two scenarios, and one of them is easier to explain and to do--mostly because Surf.Whammy prefers the "easy" scenario . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Extending the observations made by MichaelMyers1, there are two ways to do this--presuming EastWest/Soundsonline "Play" is a compliant VSTi virtual instrument, of course, which it certainly appears to be based on the User Guid for Play 6 . . .

Play 6 User Guide (EastWest/Soundsonline)

(1) everything done entirely in NOTION

(2) music notation on ReWire MIDI staves in NOTION with the VSTi virtual instrument(s) hosted in Studio One Professional

VIDEOS AND TUTORIALS

(1) These videos and tutorials from the Surf.Whammy "Vault of Knowledge" shows the first strategy in what might be the most extremely absurd scenario in the known universe . . .

[NOTE: This was done in 2014 when NOTION was 32-bits, but so what. It works the same in NOTION 6, which now is 64-bits. The VSTi virtual instrument is SampleTank (a personal favorite), but all of them are the same when they support multiple channels, which typically are groups via buses where each bus has 16 available channels. If you want 80 instruments, then divide by 16 to determine how many instances of the respective VSTi virtual instrument you will need, but observe in the second strategy that Surf.Whammy finds it better to construct songs in layers where each layer has at most perhaps 10 hosted instruments for a total of 10 channels at a time . . . ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

(2) These videos and tutorials show the second strategy where the NOTION staves are ReWire MIDI staves and the VSTi virtual instrument(s) are hosted in Studio One Professional . . .

phpBB [video]

In this strategy, which focuses on building a song in layers, when the VSTi virtual instrument set for a layer is completed, the next step is to record the generated audio to Studio One Professional audio tracks, when then makes it possible to save the ".song" with a layer number and then to do a "Save As . . . " to create a new version of the ".song", where you can remove the current VSTi virtual instruments and then start working on a new set of real instruments, real voices, and VSTi virtual instruments for the new layer . . .

It's an iterative process, where you work on one layer at a tine, begging with a set of VSTi virtual instruments, which when you are satisfied are recorded to audio tracks, after which you do a "Save' with a layer number than then do a "Save As . . ." to create another new layer to the ".song" . . .

I do approximately 10 VSTi virtual instruments per layer primarily (a) to avoid overloading the computer and (b) to keep it as simple as practical . . .

At the end of the process, the Studio One Professional ".song" only has already-recorded audio tracks; and to keep it simple, ti group the audio tracks into subgroups, so that instead of working with 50 to 100 individual audio tracks, I can work with a logical handful of subgroups and hide the everything else, although the ability to focus on detail always is present, either in the subgrouped and exported then imported ".song" or in the previous non-grouped ".song" . . .

When creating a song in layers, the strategy is to focus on details and then to consolidate, which ultimately leads to a version that is highly consolidated to make it easier to do final producing and mixing . . .

It's easier, and it conserves computer resources . . .

Some instruments and voices can be kept as individual audio tracks, but most of the instruments can be subgrouped, which involves doing submixes and so forth . . .

By saving everything layer-by-layer, you can revist any layer to do a bit of fine-tuning, but overall after you do this a few times, the goal is to develop techniques for doing the submixes so that you do not need to revisit them . . .

Mastering this requires a bit of practice and a calibrated full-range studio monitor system enhanced with a pair of deep-pass subwoofers, all with a flat equal loudness curve at 85 dB SPL using a dBA weighting, but so what . . .

It's the only way you can be assured that what you are hearing is accurate . . . :+1

This is the current version of the song and it has a bunch of VSTi virtual instruments--done in layers--and fabulous vocals both real and virtual (Realivox Blue, Surf.Whammy's favorite virtual female soprano) . . .

Realivox Blue (RealiTone)

[NOTE; This is best enjoyed when listening with studio-quality headphones like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite), because it's easier to hear the motion-based effects and instrumentation; but it also sounds good played through studio monitors, of course . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Project: Rewire ~ NOTION + Studio One Professional

SUMMARY

It should work the same with EastWest/Soundsonline "Play 6" as a VSTi virtual instrument . . .

Some of the "Play 6" user interface probably will be a bit different, but look at everything, and it should make intuitive sense . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Thanks for the info! i will wade through and see what i can do...
NJ
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:44 pm
njcurrie wrote
michaelmyers1 wroteNot clear what you're asking. Are you talking about sending staves to multiple channels in a VST? I do that all the time with VEPro. Not sure how Play works.

i mean having 1 instance of Play loaded in Notion and having multiple instruments loaded in that instance and then driving a separate staff for each of the loaded instruments instead of loading multiple instances in Notion...
NJ

Ah, got it! As I said, I don't have Play, but I do this with VEPro all the time. Here are the steps:

1. Add a staff in Notion setup to "host" the Play instance. Call it "Play" or something logical you can identify in the following steps. If you want it to not be seen in the score, click the visibility icon to hide it. Exit setup.
2. Select any staff. Use the Change Instrument command (Shift+I) and click the box for "Show All Instruments." This will make all instruments appear for all staves.
3. Select the Play instance you created above from the list (it will be there even if the staff isn't visible in the score), and use the drop-down to select the MIDI channel you want to use. You can also assign different voices on the same stave to different channels here as well (great for divisi voices).
4. Hit OK, and the cursor will change to say "Play (1)", where (1) is the MIDI channel you've selected. Place the cursor over the staff that you want to assign, and click. The staff will now send MIDI to the Play instance on channel 1.
5. Set up the instruments in Play, and make sure to set the MIDI channels correctly for each instrument. When I use VEPro with Kontakt instruments, for example, I have to be sure to set the channel in the VEPro player and in the Kontakt Player inside each instance. No idea how Play works in this regard, but if you've got this far, you'll no doubt figure it out!

If you want to add additional Play instances, repeat from step 1. If you want to assign other staves, repeat from step 2.

That's all there is to it! Notion keeps track of the internal MIDI routing and sends the staff data to the appropriate MIDI channel in your Play instance.

I sometimes use separate VEPro instances for different instrumental sections (one for winds, one for brass, one for strings, one for percussion, etc.) This is an excellent way to organize a lot of instruments. Don't know what kind of music you make, but this works well with large orchestral setups.

Notion is very efficient in this mode. I've used it for playback of 60+ instruments without it batting an eye. One drawback to this method is that there will only be one fader in the Notion mixer for the Play instance. You'll have to work in the Play instance to get the appropriate balance and pan.

Hope that helps!

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaelmyers1 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:22 pm
I created a blog a few years back and this is covered starting here and continued in the next one in the series:

phpBB [video]

This is from a couple versions of Notion ago and shows the use of Vienna Ensemble, but the functionality is basically the same and will illustrate how to go about the steps I outlined above.

Hope this helps!

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer