Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
38 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
CONFESSION AND APOLOGY ~ BEGIN

Thanks to Michael Myers and Chef John, the latter of whom has the best recipe for chocolate chip cookies in the known universe--a recipe he obtained from Alton Brown and then modified--I am rescued and redeemed from what I hope is a rare instance of being deceived and tricked by a group of fake news promoters and blatant gossipers I now call "The Chicken Little Brigade" . . .

Specifically, without taking the time to do experiments, I believed and was deluded by a bunch of nonsense, hence the original title of this topic including the phrase "Boldly Stupid" . . .

In the terminology and thinking espoused by Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin, I was tricked momentarily into believing that the bourgeoisie, intelligentsia, and aristocracy had abandoned me and relegated me to the groups of folks called the "proletariat" and the "bureaucracy" . . .

Therefore, as you read the first few of my posts to this topic, I confess (a) that I was vastly deluded and (b) that I apologize for my temporary lunacy, because once a few of the third-party VSTi virtual instrument and VST effects plug-in folks finish their macOS Catalina (10.15.1) compatibility efforts, I expect everything to be quite excellent . . .

Perhaps most distressing to me at a personal level is my doubting the skills of the PreSonus folks; because after doing a quite simple experiment (see below), I verified that Studio One Professional and NOTION do ReWire in macOS Catalina, hence everything once again is golden here in the sound isolation studio--even though technically at this moment I am house-sitting for my sister and doing experiments on her 2012 MacBook Pro and 2019 MacBook Pro (which has the new Apple T2 Security Chip)--something which for the record I told her I was going to do and, of course, includes doing backups, so that the experiments are non-intrusive . . .

It's nearly always best to go ahead and move forward in the Mac universe; and since I do the technical support, it's part of my job, so to speak . . .

At present, I see no reason to revert to macOS Mojave; but I have bootable clones on a LaCie d2 external hard drive and can revert, if doing so is necessary . . .

For the 2019 MacBook Pro, I have a LaCie 6TB d2 Thunderbolt 3 external hard drive arriving tomorrow (Friday November 15, 2019), which I will use to clone the 2019 MacBook Pro SSD storage unit using SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket), thereby making it possible to revert the state-of-the-art 2019 MacBook Pro to macOS Mojave, should it be necessary . . .

[NOTE: SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) does macOS Mojave and is in beta testing for macOS Catalina; so while I can't clone macOS Catalina SSD storage units at present, I can clone macOS Mojave SSD storage units, which is all I need to do to be able to revert to macOS Mojave, should it be necessary . . . ]

And since I have enjoyed nearly all my current batch of chocolate chip cookies, I plan to bake a new batch later today--noting that instead of using semi-sweet chocolate chips, I use an equal mix of Hershey's Milk Chocolate and Special Dark Chocolate chips . . .

[NOTE: I use grass-fed whole milk, because (a) technically there is no such thing as "almond milk" and (b) the world is not going to end in 12 years due to dairy cow flatulence . . . ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

CONFESSION AND APOLOGY ~ END

After doing a brief but diligently focused landscape survey of macOS Catalina and its impacts on digital music production, it appears that Apple has hosed what now must be called "old school" digital music production . . . :(

THOUGHTS

macOS Catalina has increased security "features" that either (a) conflict with current digital music production technologies and practices or (b) prohibits them entirely . . .

These are my initial thoughts after doing a few hours of research, which includes examining macOS Catalina compatibility statements from several companies that produce Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) and AU and VST virtual instruments and effects plug-ins, as well as a few websites that have information relevant to the specific details . . .

One might suggest that compartmentalizing everything for security purposes is one of the major internal goals of macOS Catalina, and while this might be good from one perspective, it appears to be disastrous from the perspective of what I now am calling "old school" digital music production, which for reference is truly wonderful but requires a bit of work to make sense of how everything communicates and interconnects . . .

This also provides an explanation for Jonathan Ive deciding to leave Apple . . . :(

Based on the fact that the Propellerheads (now called "Reason Studios") have abandoned ReWire beginning with Reason 11, I think this signals the end of ReWire for Apple computers running macOS Catalina and successors, which initially is very disturbing here in the sound isolation studio . . .

From what I have determined so far, if you are doing what one might call "elaborate" digital music production, then your system--which over the years you have perfected--will be completely and totally hosed by macOS Catalina . . .

As with everything, this is good and bad . . .

It's "good", because I am finishing my book on what now is "old school" digital music production, which if I get a new iMac Pro running macOS Catalina then makes it possible to write a second version of the book for folks who are doing "new school" digital music production on a Mac running macOS Catalina . . .

It's "bad", because it looks to break everything you have learned through years of diligent researching and experimenting and requires a new way of conceptualizing and doing digital music production--at least until I make sense of it; write a new book; and explain the "new" rules . . .

More specifically, macOS Catalina now enforces (a) notarization and (b) for the most part something called "hardening" . . .

For reference, Studio One and NOTION (current versions) have been notarized by Apple, which basically maps to being reviewed, examined, and verified by Apple . . .

Hardening is different, and it's not so much a matter of the primary applications (DAW, Music Notation, and so forth) as it is AU and VST virtual instruments and effects plug-ins, as well as ReWire, which probably will not be allowed in macOS Catalina . . .

If you run a DAW and other applications like NOTION and Reason 11 with the Hardened Runtime "feature" enabled, then there are certain security restrictions which are enforced ruthlessly, and this appears to be the primary problem with doing ReWire in macOS Catalina as well to a lesser degree with macOS Mojave, among other things . . .

This is the detailed information on the matter provided by PreSonus:

Studio One 4 on Mojave and Catalina - Notarization, Hardened Runtime, and how it affects 3rd-party plug-ins (PreSonus)

Why am I just now realizing this?

The primary reason is that at present I am doing everything on a 2.8-GHz (8-core) Mac Pro (Early 2008) that runs no macOS higher than El Capitan, hence until I started pondering the idea of getting a new iMac Pro, I had no reason to wade into anything newer . . .

But now that it looks to be possible financially to get a new iMac Pro, I have to make at least a little bit of sense of what at present I consider to be the end of "old school" digital music production . . .

On the other side of the equation, by doing some smart shopping toward the goal of acquiring what I now am calling "Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive" Macs, who cares . . .

Not me! :ugeek:

Instead of being a matter of "out with the old and in with the new", I can do both . . .

WHY IS APPLE DOING THIS?

One word: "Millennials"

Or the folks who to various degrees at most are able to do one thing at a time, usually for no longer than a few seconds . . .

"Old School" digital music production requires doing a lot of typically complex things simultaneously and being able to understand what is being done intimately . . .

Explained another way, it appears that the folks at Apple have had an epiphany which motivates them to "dumb-down" or perhaps to "smart-up" their products and operating systems so that slow people with near-zero attention spans will not be afraid to use them . . .

This is an example of "Old School" music production which can be done by one person in the digital music production universe with a bit of work--one instrument or voice at a time in layers, using a combination or real instruments and voices, virtual instruments, virtual voices, virtual effects, music notation, MIDI, and ReWire:

phpBB [video]

This is the way digital music production occurs in the "New School" of macOS Catalina digital music production:

phpBB [video]

FUTURE THOUGHTS

This certainly puts combining Studio One and NOTION into a single application back on the table, especially if macOS Catalina prohibits realtime, synchronized intercommunication between Studio One and NOTION . . .

For practical purposes, this is what Reason Studios has done with Reason 11, albeit minus music notation. . . .

If Studio One and NOTION are combined--without losing any of the capabilities of NOTION--then ReWire is not needed . . .

Computers are faster and more powerful now than they were 10 years ago, so this not only (a) is possible but also (b) probably can be done intelligently in a way which is not so difficult . . .

We know that it can be done today with ReWire doing the application intercommunication, so it's more of a packaging activity than anything else; and with larger displays becoming ubiquitous there is sufficient visual space to do everything--remembering that the NOTION component only needs to do the music notation and MIDI generation, since in this scenario all the virtual instruments and effects plug-ins will be hosted in the Studio One part of the combined application . . .

There either (a) are solutions for third-party virtual instruments and effects plug-ins or (b) there soon will be . . .

What I know for certain is that smart folks will find a logical way to wander through all this "New School" nonsense, but until this happens I think it makes sense to have either two separate digital music production systems (a) old Mac and new Mac or (b) a dual-boot newer Mac, since without ReWire in the "New School" it probably will be necessary to keep professional level music notation separate from sound generation . . .

It's possible that the networking abilities of Studio One and NOTION--running separately and not in a ReWire session--will make this easier, although probably not so easy as doing everything in a ReWire session where Studio One is the ReWire host controller; NOTION is the ReWire slave; and the music notation in NOTION is on ReWire MIDI staves or External MIDI staves (for Reason 10 acting as a ReWire slave), and so forth . . .

Overall, it will be interesting--sooner or later--which means that I need to get a new iMac, although perhaps not an iMac Pro, since at present it appears likely that doing this requires a new external digital audio and MIDI interface and some music software upgrades of one type or another . . .

If I were not focused on writing books about digital music production, then I would be globally not happy about this nonsense, but the more everyone is confused, the greater their desires for technical books, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:56 am, edited 7 times in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:56 am
Has anyone installed macOS Catalina on a Mac and done ReWire with Studio One Professional and NOTION (latest versions)? :roll:

THOUGHTS

I did a few more hours of diligent research and so far have not found definitive information on whether ReWire works in macOS Catalina--other than Reason 11 (Reason Studios) has dropped support for ReWire . . .

As best as I can determine, the last update to the ReWire infrastructure occurred in 2018 when macOS Mojave was the current version . . .

The official statement from Apple regarding the version of macOS to run on a new iMac Pro is to use the version of macOS that was the original version when you purchase the machine (or a higher version, if [a] one exists and [b] is compatible) . . .

One of the new technology aspects of the iMac Pro is the Apple "T2" processor, which all things considered tends to suggest strongly that it's not possible to install macOS Mojave when the iMac Pro came with macOS Catalina, plus it's a bit illogical . . .

A new iMac Pro with 64GB system memory and 2TB SSD storage costs approximately $6,500 (US) with AppleCare and sales tax . . .

Currently MOTU external audio and MIDI devices do not work with macOS Catalina . . .

PreSonus has a rack-mount Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt™ Audio Interface/Studio Command Center external digital audio and MIDI device, but I find no information on whether it works with a new 2019 mid-Fall iMac Pro running macOS Catalina;, so I plan to call PreSonus to verify whether it works . . .

Either way (MOTU 828x or PreSonus Quantum), this adds another approximately $1,000 (US) to the system, and while I have used MOTU digital audio and MIDI interfaces for nearly two decades, not working with macOS Catalina is a showstopper. If the rack-mount PreSonus Quantum works with macOS Catalina on a new 2019 mid-Fall iMac Pro, this has the advantage of being from the same company that makes Studio One and NOTION . . .

Excluding digital music production software upgrades, this maps to a $7,500 (US) purchase, which for me is a bit mind-boggling, but perhaps so what . . .

When viewed from the perspective of lasting for a decade, it maps to about $3 (US) a day, which is the low-end of an expresso--except that I brew my own coffee (Massimo Zanneti Master Chef ground coffee) which I order from Walmart for about $9 (US) for a 30.5 oz. can, with the ratio of 1/4 cup of ground coffee to 1 pint of Ozarka water at 200-degrees Fahrenheit in a French Press, where the general goal is that in a clear plastic bottle the brewed coffee is opaque, which maps to being so strong that it is dangerous or fatal for folks who do not have what I call the "South American Coffee Achiever Gene Matrix Array", so-named based on a study done on South American coffee aficionados and basically involves the way caffeine is metabolized, with folks like me being in the "fast caffeine metabolizer" group, hence the "South American" aspect . . .

The only significant affect strong coffee has on me is that it makes me a tiny bit "chatty" . . . :P

The other side of being a coffee achiever is that I now think I know and can explain why after being upgraded for increased power, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is not seeing any new particles beyond the Higgs boson, which for the most part is based on the incorrect presumption that time is discrete rather than continuous. In other words the LHC is not seeing anything, because it's not looking in the right places--an epiphany I had recently after looking at a piece of cedar closet paneling and observing sets of cedar knots arranged in a way which creates Lagrange points, where the cedar knots are like the sensors that are supposed to detect what happens when two protons traveling in opposite directions collide at 0.9999999 the speed of ight, with the problem being that most of the particles travel in paths where there are no sensors, like the undefined spaces between pixels on a computer display . . .

[NOTE: If you want to hear everything, then listen with studio quality headphones like SONY 7506 headphones (a personal favorite), since it's a stereo mix with lots of fascinating motion . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

The Surf Whammys

by michaelmyers1 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm
Surf, about a year ago (can't believe it's been that long) I purchased a new iMac 27". I looked into the iMac Pro and determined it was WAYYYY more horsepower than I would ever need for recording (and I do some pretty serious recording, with up to 60 VST instruments and added effects). The new iMac is fantastic (I did invest in the max aftermarket upgrade to 64 gb RAM)! And far less than the cost of the Pro. As I understand it, the Pro is really intended for high end pro video production (thus the name) and 3D rendering where graphics is the utmost priority. Just thought I'd mention it!

I'm confident that the Catalina issues will get squared away before long. As you noted Presonus already has things working for Notion and S1. I haven't upgraded yet, but will probably do so over the holidays. Kontakt and VSL have already published compatibility for their products, and my Nektar Panorama Control Surface is also compaitble, and that's really the main players I've been waiting for. I may have to replace my studio interface, but a new 3rd Gen Focusrite Scarlett Solo is only about $110, or M Audio has a Hub that would suit my needs for $69.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:21 am
michaelmyers1 wroteI haven't upgraded [to macOS Catalina] yet, but will probably do so over the holidays.

Sounds like a plan, so let me know what happens, especially with respect to ReWire MIDI . . . :)

THOUGHTS

As you know, the 2.8-GHz (8-core) Mac Pro (Early 2008) here in the sound isolation cannot be upgraded beyond the occasional and increasingly rare security updates to macOS El Capitan, but when it was updatable I devised a relatively simple strategy so I could revert to the previous macOS version if something didn't work, plus it's an excellent way to "clone" a hard drive or SSD . . .

This same strategy will work for your iMac, and it has additional advantages . . .

(1) Get a LaCie d2 external hard drive, and verify that it's bootable. LaCie started as a Mac-only product line, so their external hard drives are bootable; and you actually can run macOS by setting the Lacie external drive as the boot drive, which can be very helpful in certain scenarios . . .

For example, last year the primary hard drive on the Mac Pro her in the sound isolation studio had problems, and it was handy to be able to boot with another drive. I used DiskWarrior (Alsoft) to recover all the important but damaged files, which took a while but worked . . .

[NOTE: DiskWarrior costs $119 (US) plus tax, if applicable, and this includes a downloadable copy and a bootable USB memory stick copy, which they send via USPS. There are some restrictions for internal SSD drives, but I think this is only for macOS High Sierra. DiskWarrior currently does not support the new Apple File System (APFS) disks, which is something to consider, as well . . . ]

DiskWarrior (Alsoft)

(2) Get Superduper (Shirt Pocket) and use it to do a full, bootable backup. The free version does everything you need, but I upgrade to the full version--which doesn't cost much--to support the developer. As I understand, it's one person and SuperDuper has saved me a lot of trouble and lost data more than a few times . . .

[NOTE: SuperDuper! supports macOS Mojave HFS+ and APFS storage formats. Support for macOS Catalina is in beta testing as of November 6, 2019. Technical support is done via email, and my experience over the past decade or longer is that the developer replies with instructions and strategies promptly. Last year, I encountered errors caused by cross-linked files, where the links could not be resolved and SuperDuper! stopped and reported the problem. Basically, these are tiny files that are links to other files which do not exist. The solution at the time was to read the SuperDuper! log and identify the culprit, which you then deleted, following doing another SuperDuper! full backup (also called "cloning"). I mentioned this in a post last year or sometime, and it took days, since there were a lot of cross-linked files and each time I had to delete the offending file(s), followed by doing another SuperDuper! backup, which due to the size of the hard drive (approximately 2TB) took about four or five hours, a process I repeated over-and-over until all the offending files were gone and the backup ran to successful completion. This was possible only after getting the technical support necessary to explain to me what was happening and the way to correct everything. For reference, one of the problems was that an iTunes install was damaged, and another problem was than an Xcode install was damaged, so the advice was to reinstall them. There were a bunch of other cross-lliked or "ghost" files--mostly involving virtual instruments and individual sample files--so deleting them required the most time. This is a bit unusual, but the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio is what I call a "developer" machine, and stuff like this happens on "developer" machines, hence doing frequent "cloning" with SuperDuper! to be able to recover in a few hours if I do something stupid and hose the primary hard drive. It's useful to know that the technical support replies occurred in an hour or so and provided the information necessary to solve the problems. The key strategy is that SuperDuper! does not alter the hard drive or SSD it is cloning. If an error is discovered, then SuperDuper! stops and reports the error. In other words, it's non-invasive, which from my perspective is the way it should be--do not harm and all that . . . ]

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

(3) Clone your macOS Mojave SSD to a LaCie external hard drive, and then verify that you can boot from the LaCie external hard drive as the Startup drive . . .

If all this works as expected, then you have a verified way to revert to macOS Mojave, and you can run macOS Mojave from the LaCie external drive, which effectively makes it a dual-boot iMac . . .

[NOTE: Since at present I am state-of-the-art circa 2008, I have way to verify if all this stuff works as I think it probably works on newer Macs, although I have used SuperDuper! (a) to "clone" a MacBook Pro (2012) and then use the clone to transfer files to a new 2019 MacBook Pro (totally maxed), followed by using SuperDuper! to clone the 2019 MacBook Pro (approximately $4,500 [US]) after all the files were transferred, hence I have verified this strategy works, albeit at the moment having no idea whether the SSD storage on the 2019 MacBook Pro is HFS+ or APFS. It's whatever is the default as the machine comes in the box from Apple, which for reference was manufactured in China on the day it was ordered and then shipped express to California and then by FedEx to the middle of nowhere in two days, which is mind-boggling, really . . . ]

When the macOS Catalina version of SuperDuper! is released, you can do the same thing, which certainly can be done on the same LaCie external drive if it has the necessary capacity, which suggests getting larger capacity drive like the 6TB LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 3 . . .

d2 Thunderbolt 3 (LaCie)

There probably are some special considerations that need to be verified, and one of them involves HFS+ and APFS support . . .

macOS Catalina appears to be APFS only for storage, but whether this is the boot drive or all drives is something about which I currently have not information, although with notarizing and runtime hardening in macOS Catalina, APFS might be a system requirement, but who knows?

At present, not me . . . :roll:

Intuitively, from what I have read so far, I don't think applications that work with macOS El Capitan can be run in macOS Catalina, so this is another aspect to consider . . .

As I read it, macOS Catalina will not let you install an application unless it has been notarized by Apple, which in turn maps to needing notarized installs for all the applications you want to use, which is ironic considering the 1984 Apple advertisement . . .

Explained another way, macOS Catalina is a combination of Big Brother and The Outer Limits . . .

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

On a nearly totally unrelated bit of information, I was in what I suppose was a Punk band for about three hours sometime in the 1970s, which actually was an audition for a bass player, since at the time I was focused on electric bass . . .

It was too strange and bizarre, but they had a song with a lyrical phrase which became an instant ear worm, which was all the more surreal because the audition was in a church; and this was (a) before I started carrying garlic when I venture outside the sound isolation studio and (b) before I started ensuring there are strategically located Christmas Trees around and inside the house (re: Carlos Castaneda and the Yaqui Indian strategy of becoming invisible to demons and evil forces) . . .

"Eat me, beat me, make me write hot checks, cigarette burns up and down my neck"

It's classic . . . :P

iMac vs. iMac Pro vs. 2.8-GHz (8-core) Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Overall, I think a new iMac is vastly faster than the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio and the new iMac Pro is even faster . . .

I do videos for my YouTube channel, so there is a bit of logic to getting an iMac Pro, but currently I do everything on the aforementioned Mac Pro (Early 2008(, which provide a baseline of sorts . . .

However, I also am working on Rack Extensions for Reason, and there are stronger requirements for graphic processing in this regard, hence another bit of logic for selecting the new iMad Pro . . .

This is balanced by the apparent fact that I can get a similar Mac Pro (Early 2008) on eBay for about $200 (US) and then upgrade it like the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio for about $300 (US)--more system memory, new hard drive, and better video card . . .

With the exception of Rack Extensions for Reason, I can do everything I need to do on the Mac Pro (Early 2008) . . .

A new iMac is quite sufficient for doing Rack Extensions for Reason, so this makes the new iMac Pro a bit of a luxury--except that I think it can be useful for purposes of writing a book, tentatively titled "Everything You Never Imagined You Needed to Know about the Boldly Stupid New World of Digital Music Production on the Mac in the 21st Century" . . .

P. S. One of my friends from high school days is a photographer, graphic designer, finish carpenter, and painter; and he visited for about two months and completed the interior of the 1920s house (which I verified by finding "knob and tube" electric wiring when I removed one of the walls, which a minimum dates the house to the 1930s or early 1940s, except that the architect designed a lot of houses like this one starting in the 1920s . . .

The floors were refinished by a professional company that specializes in these type of floors, and since the house is raised off the ground on beams and piers--which was the strategy at the time, which as you know was before central heating and air-conditioning--the floors are finished with tung oil . . .

[NOTE: The soil in this area is "sandy loam" and it's humid and windy in the summer, so the logic was raising the house off the ground mapped to cool floors in the summer. The drawback is cold floors in the winter, but when it's cold you can put on more layers of clothes. And as you know, open fireplaces are nearly worthless for heating, which I verified in an old house like this one by burning about half a cord of seasoned firewood 24x7 when it was 20-degrees Fahrenheit outside. I had thermometers all over the inside walls, and the house actually got colder with the fireplaces blazing. My perspectives on open and deep fireplaces are (a) that they are relaxing and enjoyable to watch, (b) they are excellent for Indian, Irish, and Mexican style cooking, baking, and roasting, but (c) worthless for heating a house . . ]

The kitchen flooring is what the floor refinishers call "vertical pine", but the other floors are one-inch thick oak installed over the vertical pine . . .

There is a reason for the middle column, but in part it's there because I didn't realize that with a longer pair of 2x12 headers it wasn't necessary. The idea is based on there being a dishwasher, so having open shelves makes it possible to put dishes where it's easy to get them to and from the dishwasher to put on the dining room table; and it makes it possible for someone to stand in the kitchen; look into the dining room; and make annoying observations and remarks about dining etiquette, which certainly contributes to the experience and enjoyment of gourmet dining . . .

[NOTE: The kitchen is yellow--which is like playing electric guitar with a overdrive pedal through a Marshall stack with the volume level set to "11"--and there will be stainless steel restaurant kitchen shelves and so forth, including a marble-top work area for pastry that has butter and a maple baker's work table for bread that has yeast. As you know, using restaurant kitchen shelving and work tables (a) costs vastly less than "normal" kitchen shelves and countertops and (b) actually makes it possible to do restaurant style baking and cooking, as well as food prep and so forth, hence there is a bit of logic to what at present appears to be a kitchen with no shelves, cabinets, and countertops . . . ]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by michaelmyers1 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks great! Floors are gorgeous.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaelmyers1 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 pm
Surf, regarding Rewire: Although Propellerheads has dropped it from their Reason suite, it is still available as a software protocol. As far as I can tell, Rewire will still be active and in use as a plugin to DAWs and other software like Notion. I'd breathe easy on this one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReWire_(software_protocol)

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by Surf.Whammy on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:57 am
michaelmyers1 wroteLooks great! Floors are gorgeous.

It's coming along nicely . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This is how it looked after I removed the separating wall, and for reference both sides are done the same way--2x12s sitting on vertical 2x6 posts attached to the existing posts with DeckMate wood screws, since (a) it's load-bearing and (b) in the attic directly overhead there is an air handler, gas furnace, and other stuff . . .

[NOTE: This is before the floors were refinished . . . ]

I'm getting too old to crawl around in attics to determine ceiling joist dimensions and how they are run, so I used the tried and true strategy of overdoing the structural aspects. I did the 2x12s and 2x6 posts first and then cut out the sheetrock and horizontal pine wall boards, which actually was easy once I made some "peek" holes to determine if there were electric wires and pipes inside the wall and how to avoid them. There were some electric wires but no pipes . . .

It took about an hour to remove the wall with a "saws-all", ladder, and a sledge hammer . . .

My sister thought removing the old wall was going to be vastly complex, difficult, and would take forever; but after she watched for a few minutes she asked if she could do some of the sledge hammering; so we had a safety course on using a sledge hammer, the importance of safety helmets, gloves, eye protection, and an uncluttered work area; and it was good to have some help . . . :+1

At the time, we were thinking about having a door, but after seeing the new dishwasher installed, the idea of having pass-through shelves appeared, which is fine with me . . .

This is how it looked after the floors were refinished, and for reference I closed the walk-through, which was not the original walkthrough . . .

[NOTE: The new rule from my sister is that i have to take off my shoes and put on booties before I can walk on the floors; so I got a pair of slippers, since I can't deal with putting booties over my shoes. I was a bit in the doghouse due to everything taking so long, but between the floor refinishers and my friend, I am now golden--except that I have to wear booties or slippers . . . :P ]

Now it's part of the wall, and will be where a restaurant kitchen-style refrigerator will be located--behind the new partial wall . . .

The trim is high-quality tight-grain pine from New Zealand--which is what the local Lowe's sells for this type of trim--and the trim for the kitchen openings took about 10 days to install and paint. My friend is a perfectionist, which in this instance is good; and he checks everything with levels and rulers constantly . . .

Part of the reason it took about 10 days for just the kitchen opening trim is that while I have levels and rulers, I was more focused on removing the wall, hence the first thing my friend did was check everything and then observe that "Nothing is level. This is not going to be easy"; but I'm more of a framing carpenter than a finish carpenter and painter; so he fixed everything, and now it looks very nice . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:28 am
michaelmyers1 wroteSurf, regarding Rewire: Although Propellerheads has dropped it from their Reason suite, it is still available as a software protocol. As far as I can tell, Rewire will still be active and in use as a plugin to DAWs and other software like Notion. I'd breathe easy on this one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReWire_(software_protocol)

Perhaps, but I'm not convinced, although after I do some experiments (see below) I hope to be convinced . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Reason Studios dropping ReWire support for Reason 11 is not so much of a problem here in the sound isolation studio, since there now is a Reason Rack Plug-in (VST3), which maps to adding a user-selected subset of Reason 11 as a plug-in to Studio One Professional . . .

I don't use Reason so much at present and am not concerned about Reason 11 dropping support for ReWire . . .

Mostly I use Reason 10, and it does ReWire in macOS El Capitan here in the sound isolation studio . . .

[NOTE: Are what I call the "Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive" Intel Mac Pros becoming like Antonio Stradavari violins--perfect in every respect and not boldly stupid? Are they investment quality opportunities? ]

It's possible that Reason Studio (formerly "Propellerhead Software") will continue to support the ReWire infrastructure and to devise a way to make ReWire compatible with macOS Catalina; but after a lot of researching, I am not finding anything definitive on macOS Catalina and ReWire on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip . . .

T2 Security Chip (Apple)

What I have found is the announcement from Apple that beginning in January 2020, macOS Catalina will require and enforce notarization and hardened runtimes . . .

Notarizing Your Mac Software for macOS Catalina (Apple, September 2019)

Apple "relaxed" macOS Catalina notarization and hardened runtime requirements temporarily to make the transition to macOS Catalina easier, since all that stuff on top of dropping support for 32-bit applications was too much . . .

If Apple enforces notarization and hardened runtime beginning in January 2020, this might be a problem . . .

There are things called "entitlements" that an application can allow for purposes of avoiding restrictions, so this might apply to allowing ReWire . . .

[NOTE: This is public information. Scroll downward to see the Hardened Runtime Entitlements . . . ]

Entitlements - Bundle Resources (Apple Developer Documentation)

EXPERIMENTS

I am finding a good bit of conflicting information about macOS Catalina and it's difficult to determine what actually happens or will happen next year (2020) . . .

However, there probably is a way for me to do a few experiments . . . :+1

Specifically, I have access to two MacBook Pro machines, one of which is a 2019 model from a few months ago . . .

2019 MacBook Pro (Apple)

The other machine is from a few years ago but runs macOS Mojave . . .

[NOTE: These are not my computers, but I do the technical support; so I can use them for a few days to do experiments, one of which is to determine if running macOS Catalina on them is a good thing, hence is relevant technical support in a non-destructive scenario . . . ]

I have SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) backups (a.k.a., "clones"), so I can install macOS Catalina and do a bit of experimenting, following by either (a) leaving them in macOS Catalina or (b) restoring them to macOS Mojave via their respective SuperDuper! clones . . .

I probably will start with the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) . . .

Basically, I need to install Studio One Professional and NOTION 6.5.470 and then see whether ReWire works . . .

I have several remaining Studio One Professional install licenses, but I probably need to buy another copy of NOTION, which is fine with me since NOTION currently is not very expensive due to having Studio One Professional and the discount price . . .

The 2019 MacBook Pro has the Apple T2 Security Chip, which for the experiments is very good . . .

If I read everything correctly, even that at present Apple has "relaxed" some of the more Draconian restrictions, I can enforce them myself on the 2019 MacBook Pro by changing a few settings and options in macOS Catalina--no hacking, just changing stuff in System Preferences . . .

On a related note, if a notarized and hardened application can "entitle" ReWire, then I think everything will be good; but I need to do some experiments . . .

P. S. I am starting to experience a glimmer of hope that using macOS Catalina for digital music production is not so "boldly stupid"--except for all the "not compatible yet" statements from third-party digital music production application companies, including all the ones I use or want to use sometime in the not-so-distant future . . . :roll:

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 pm
I installed macOS Catalina (10.15.1) on the 2012 MacBook Pro, and it does ReWire . . . :+1

THOUGHTS

This is good news, and so far it's working . . .

I installed the current versions of Studio One Professional and NOTION, which worked nicely . . .

To make this part faster, I only installed a few of the Studio One Professional instruments, and I did not install any of the native NOTION instruments . . .

I enabled ReWire in NOTION Preferences and then restarted NOTION, followed by creating a few ReWire MIDI staves and then exited NOTION . . .

Next, I started Studio One and created a ReWire lane and added two instances of Mojito . . .

I am running a licensed version Studio One Professional, but at present I am running the Demo version of NOTION . . .

In a while I will activate NOTION . . .

Other than occasional but one-time bursts of popup messages from macOS Catalina warning about something or asking some type of stupid question, everything looks good; and the macOS Catalina popups stopped occurring after a while . . .

There were just a handful of popup messages, which I expected from the earlier research I had done; and I replied with whatever made sense and don't remember what the messages said, other than asking if I am sure I want to open the application downloaded from the Internet and similar babble . . .

At one point it appeared as though the messages were answering each other . . .

This happened for a very short time and then went away . . .

I have not tried any VSTI virtual instruments and VST effects, but it's next on the agenda; and there are a few that already are compatible with macOS Catalina . . .

[NOTE: This is information I posted in another topic Saturday November 9, 2019 on third-party VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-in compatibility with macOS Catalina. I will recheck, since a few more might be compatible with macOS Catalina now but this was the way it was one week ago, more or less . . . ]

I did a few compatibility checks, and these are the ones relevant to some of what I use here in the sound isolation studio:

(1) Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 (Native Instruments): Compatible with 10.15

(2) IK Multimedia currently "urges" users not to install Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina

(3) FabFilter Software Instruments products: Compatible with 10.15

(4) MachFive 3 (MOTU): Appears to be compatible with 10.15

(5) MOTU audio interfaces: Not compatible with 10.15 at present. Working on updates

(6) Whoosh (UVI): Not compatible with 10.15 at present. Working on updates

(7) XLN Audio: All products, except Addictive Drums 1, are compatible with 10.15

(8) Reason Studios (Propellerhead Software): Not compatible with 10.15 at present. Working on updates

(9) Steinberg: Not compatible with 10.15 at present. Working on updates?

Looking good so far . . .

P. S. This is one of the reasons I do experiments, because until you do the science it's just a bunch of guessing . . .
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteSurf, regarding Rewire: Although Propellerheads has dropped it from their Reason suite, it is still available as a software protocol. As far as I can tell, Rewire will still be active and in use as a plugin to DAWs and other software like Notion. I'd breathe easy on this one...

Good call . . . :thumbup:

THOUGHTS

The 2012 MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina (10.15.1) has no problems doing ReWire with Studio One Professional as the ReWire host and NOTION as the ReWire slave, which is enough to verify that ReWire and the PreSonus applications work in macOS Catalina on this machine . . .

Tomorrow I plan to focus on third-party VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins . . .

If I correctly remember what I wrote in the previous posts, I think I can put together a basic rhythm section . . .

I'm not in the sound isolation studio, so tomorrow I need to email myself the various license keys and all that stuff; and then I can do a few more experiments . . .

I ordered a LaCie 6TB d2 Thunderbolt 3 external drive, which is supposed to arrive sometime Friday, and I will use it to do the experiments on the 2019 MacBook Pro that has the Apple T2 Security Chip . . .

P. S. I added a "Confession and Apology" to the beginning of the first post to this topic, and I removed the "Boldly Stupid" phrase, because everything is working nicely on the 2012 MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina (10.15.1), as I expect it will on the 2019 MacBook Pro (with the Apple T2 Security Chip) . . .

If nothing else, there is a bit of good information in the first few of my posts; and some folks might find the "James Joyce" style of recording observations and thoughts to be interesting as one works-through what at first appears to be a dilemma, which is fabulous . . .

The Surf Whammys

by michaelmyers1 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 pm
Surf.Whammy wroteP. S. I added a "Confession and Apology" to the beginning of the first post to this topic, and I removed the "Boldly Stupid" phrase, because everything is working nicely on the 2012 MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina (10.15.1), as I expect it will on the 2019 MacBook Pro (with the Apple T2 Security Chip) . . .

I have been an avid Apple fan since 1986. They've had their brilliant moments (iPhone and iMac among them) and their not-so bright ones (getting rid of Steve Jobs) but I've found tht they are pretty much on the game. Patience with Apple usually endureth to good things.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:10 am
I'm doing the SuperDuper! backup "clone" of the SSD for the 2019 MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave) to prepare it for installing macOS Catalina, Studio One Professional, and NOTION . . . :)

THOUGHTS

The 6TB LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 3 external hard drive arrived yesterday, and I already made one clone using the USB-3 port (due to forgetting to read the LaCie port labels), which took 55 minutes . . .

Now I am making another clone but this time using the Thunderbolt port on the LaCie drive, which is a little bit faster, although not screaming fast . . .

The LaCie has a Seagate Barracuda internal hard drive, so I think it's going as fast as it can; and it's faster than USB-3, which is good . . .

[UPDATE: Cloning with Thunderbolt took two minutes longer than with USB-3. Not sure why, but so what. It's nice to have the new smaller ports, and $60 per terabyte is reasonable, plus the LaCie drive is superbly well-made and looks vastly cool; and it has a Seagate Barracuda hard drive, so I like it. The front of the LaCie metal case is gray and matches the gray of the 2019 MacBook Pro, so it's "totally today" style-wise . . . ]

Next, I will install macOS Catallina and then install Studio One Professional and NOTION . . .

[UPDATE: Installing macOS Catalina now . . . ]

[UPDATE: Installed macOS Catalina, Studio One Professional, and NOTION. Took a nap. Will test ReWire tonight . . . ]

If it works like it did for the 2012 MacBook Pro, then I will let it be a macOS Catalina machine rather than reverting to macOS Mojave . . .

[UPDATE: Studio One Professional and NOTION do ReWire MIDI on the 2019 MacBook Pro, which is excellent . . . ]

P. S. I made another batch of chocolate chip cookies . . . :+1

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:50 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteI have been an avid Apple fan since 1986. They've had their brilliant moments (iPhone and iMac among them) and their not-so bright ones (getting rid of Steve Jobs) but I've found tht they are pretty much on the game. Patience with Apple usually endureth to good things.

Your encouragement was very helpful; and as one can observe by reading through the posts, it was key to getting me into the mindset that led to realizing tghat I can do the important experiments on the two MacBook Pro machines . . . :+1

THOUGHTS

As you might know, I started doing Windows application software development in 1987 and was very happy with Windows until the year 2000, which was around the time Microsoft started doing the ".NET" nonsense and ruined Visual Basic and Visual C++, which along with SQL Server were my specializations . . .

The iPod was released, and it required a Mac; so this in combination with liking the Mac GUI ("Aqua") and being vastly annoyed with Microsoft and Windows, I switched to the Mac, which at first was a bit strange, although mostly because the "delete" and "backspace" keys are reversed from the way they work in Windows . . .

Now, I'm an Apple Developer, Rack Extension Developer (Reason Studios), and ReWire Developer, but mostly focus on digital music production and pursuing my dream of beating Captain Underpants in the Underpants Song genre (which is nearly impossible, since nobody beats Captain Underpants) . . .

[NOTE: There are four people on this planet who do underpants songs; and three of us are in Texas, which from a metaphysical perspective is a bit surreal . . . :P ]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by christopherpringle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:19 am
Surf.Whammy wroteI'm doing the SuperDuper! backup "clone" of the SSD for the 2019 MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave) to prepare it for installing macOS Catalina, Studio One Professional, and NOTION . . . :)

THOUGHTS

The 6TB LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 3 external hard drive arrived yesterday, and I already made one clone using the USB-3 port (due to forgetting to read the LaCie port labels), which took 55 minutes . . .

Now I am making another clone but this time using the Thunderbolt port on the LaCie drive, which is a little bit faster, although not screaming fast . . .

The LaCie has a Seagate Barracuda internal hard drive, so I think it's going as fast as it can; and it's faster than USB-3, which is good . . .

[UPDATE: Cloning with Thunderbolt took two minutes longer than with USB-3. Not sure why, but so what. It's nice to have the new smaller ports, and $60 per terabyte is reasonable, plus the LaCie drive is superbly well-made and looks vastly cool; and it has a Seagate Barracuda hard drive, so I like it. The front of the LaCie metal case is gray and matches the gray of the 2019 MacBook Pro, so it's "totally today" style-wise . . . ]

Next, I will install macOS Catallina and then install Studio One Professional and NOTION . . .

[UPDATE: Installing macOS Catalina now . . . ]

[UPDATE: Installed macOS Catalina, Studio One Professional, and NOTION. Took a nap. Will test ReWire tonight . . . ]

If it works like it did for the 2012 MacBook Pro, then I will let it be a macOS Catalina machine rather than reverting to macOS Mojave . . .

[UPDATE: Studio One Professional and NOTION do ReWire MIDI on the 2019 MacBook Pro, which is excellent . . . ]

P. S. I made another batch of chocolate chip cookies . . . :+1

phpBB [video]

I am getting a new mac mini today and coming from PC. All of the studio one and other software being non compliant with catalina has me worried but it seems that you just updated and everything worked.

Whats my play here? It seems that most software I have is compliant except for:

Studio One
Akai MPC
Akai hardware midi controllers - advanced 49 and mini mkii

Do I wait for compliance? Do I use 10.14? Im not even sure what the mac mini ships with. What I am worried about is if I have pre 10.15 and install all my software, is updating the 10.15 easy or do I need to do some backup, uninstall reinstall stuff?
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 am
christopherpringle wroteI am getting a new mac mini today and coming from PC.

Studio One Professional and NOTION work very nicely in macOS Catalina, and I have verified this on two MacBook Pro machines (2012 and 2019 models), so zero problems with the PreSonus software . . . :+1

Kontakt 6 (Native Instruments) is approved for macOS Catalina, as are a lot of the other products Surf.Whammy uses, but some are not ready yet . . .

I have not checked all the product websites for statements on macOS Catalina in a few days, but this is a good thing to do . . .

IK Multimedia continues to "urge" all its Mac customers not to upgrade to macOS Catalina, but there is a caveat that appears to suggest it's OK . . .

For users who have updated already or inadvertently, your products should work okay as long as they were installed and authorized before the update.

However, if you do a bit more reading at the IK Multimedia website, you discover that most of the products Surf.Whammy uses work nicely in macOS Catalina (AmpliTube, SampleTank, T-RackS)--current versions, of course . . .

Will my IK products work on the latest macOS 10.15 (Catalina)? (IK Multimedia)

MOTU has a macOS Catalina compatibility page and updates it somewhat regularly, although the last update was November 19, 2019--several weeks ago . . .

MOTU and macOS Catalina (MOTU)

Surf.Whammy uses MachFive 3 (MOTU), and it looks to be compatible according to MOTU . . .

Judging by these two companies, the strategy appears to be starting with "don't do it" and then to be followed by "except that current versions of our stuff work with no problems" . . .

It's like suggesting this:

"Our coffee does not work with the new Mr. Coffee machine--unless you follow the directions, in which case it works just fine.

One might expect that we wouldn't begin by telling you that our coffee works does not work in the new Mr. Coffee machine, when actually it works just fine, but our legal team advised us to frighten you and ruin your day before telling you that everything is fine.

It's like the huge plastic warnings attached at the end of hair dryer cords telling people who probably are illiterate not to use the hair dryer in the bathtub. We have the best attorneys money can buy, and they protect us from things that probably never will happen, and if they do certainly cannot be blamed on us.

So, everything is good and we got to make you wet your pants, which we think is hilarious. :P

Buy more of our stuff.

You're our favorite customer!"

P. S. Read the my first posts to this topic, and you will understand that initially I wet my pants and had a panic attack, but a few days later realized that it was silly and that everything is working nicely. I should know better, but at first i read so much negative and fake stuff that it caused a temporary lapse in my otherwise good judgment, which in fact was embarrassing, but I apologized and "fessed-up", hence it's all good! :oops:

The Surf Whammys

by christopherpringle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:59 pm
Thanks for the response. Since the mac came with Mojave installed, I am going to leave that and work through it for now. No reason to update yet.
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:28 am
Reason Studios reports that Reason 10.4.1 and higher are now compatible with macOS Catalina . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This is the link to the macOS Catalina information:

macOS Catalina Compatibility Statement (Reason Studios)

Lots of FUN! :+1

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:42 am
Native Instruments reports that Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 are compatible with macOS Catalina . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This is the macOS Catalina compatibility statement:

macOS Catalina Compatibility Statement (Native Instruments)

The 50-percent discount sale ("Thanksgiving XXL") ends today Monday December 9, 2019 so I updated to Kontakt 6 today . . .

[NOTE: I'm using Kontakt 5 here in the sound isolation studio on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) running macOS El Capitan, but the upgrade pricing for Kontakt 6 is attractive, so I upgraded in case I need Kontakt 6 for something--perhaps a new iMac . . . ]

"Thanksgiving XXL" 50-Percent Discount Sale (Native Instruments)

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:06 pm
christopherpringle wroteThanks for the response. Since the mac came with Mojave installed, I am going to leave that and work through it for now. No reason to update yet.

This is logical and makes sense . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Based on my testing with two MacBook Pro machines (2012 and 2019), macOS Catalina is working nicely, as are Studio One Professional and NOTION (ReWire, ReWire MIDI, and so forth) . . .

Native Instruments is reporting that Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 are compatible with macOS Catalina, as are a few other third-party companies, but I have not verified this on the MacBook Pro machines, yet . . .

[NOTE: I purchased the Kontakt 6 upgrade on Monday at the 50-percent discount price, and it works nicely on the 2.8-GHz Mac Pro (Early 2008) running macOS El Capitan, but I have not tried it on the MacBook Pro machines, yet, but am planning to do so this week, perhaps . . . ]

Another factor in the decision to move to macOS Catalina is that at present Apple has "relaxed" some of the new security requirements for software . . .

The current information is that Apple will "un-relax" the security requirements in January 2020, so this is something I will need to test when it happens . . .

But so far, everything looks to be good, at least for the digital music production software I use . . .

Doing digital music production in macOS Mojave is fine, and actually makes a bit of sense at least until more is known about the "full" macOS Catalina security stuff slated for 2020 . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:03 am
I am planning to do the macOS Catalina 15.2 update, and have done a SuperDuper! clone of the 2012 MacBook Pro to get started . . . :)

THOUGHTS

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) has been updated for macOS Catalina, and it's working nicely on Macs that are running macOS Catalina . . .

SuperDuper v3.3 (Shirt Pocket)

I tried to use it on my 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) but encountered an error . . .

I sent an email to Shirt Pocket and received a workaround response a few hours later, and the workaround solved the problem . . .

The workaround for older Mac computers that cannot run anything higher than macOS El Capitan is to use a previous version of SuperDuper! and there is a link to it, hence (a) excellent technical support (as usual) and (b) I cloned the 3TB primary hard drive, which took about 8 hours, more or less, and completed with zero problems . . .

The Surf Whammys

38 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2