22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Long story short I have an Arturia Keylab 88 which is a keyboard that has, among other things, 10 'endless' knobs.

If I understand correctly, Studio One is supposed to have the ability to send an assigned vst's variable back to the controller so that when I move the knob there isn't that dreaded jump. Right now though, when the knobs on the hardware are set to 'absolute' mode it does not appear to receive the variable and so I get the jump when I move the hardware knob.

Also, the keylab 88's knobs can be set for 'relative' mode but I haven't been able to see conclusively anywhere how to get studio one to 'listen' to the relative CC's and so I don't know what to do.

So, how do I get studio one to send CC values to hardware when it's in absolute mode and how do I get studio one to receive relative messages?

Thank you in advance! This isn't the biggest of deals but it is a little bothersome thing that's been nagging me for a little while.
by niles on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:59 am
Do you transmit values back to the endless encoders?

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by badsearcher on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:06 am
Wait, yes, I would like to do that, how do I do that? How do I transmit the values back?
by niles on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:10 am
Assuming you are working in the .surface XML use the attribute options="receive transmit nofeedback" for the <Control> element.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by badsearcher on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:12 am
I'm sorry, but that went a pinch over my head... I don't know what .surface XML is
by niles on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:22 am
Ah sorry, I went to fast there. I thought (since you use the absolute value) you where editing a custom surface map.
Currently I'm on a tight schedule. If nobody chimed in I will be glad to elaborate a bit later.

by badsearcher on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:42 am
Well, I found the surface.xml in user devices but I have no real idea where to go from here. Thank you for getting me this far!
by badsearcher on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:31 pm
<ControlSurface>
<Controls>
<Control name="controlb004a" title="Control2" type="knob" options="receive public">
<MidiMessage status="#B0" channel="0" address="#4A"/>
</Control>

So, this is a sample line of the xml for my keylab 88, how exactly would I integrate transmission back to the absolute knob?
by badsearcher on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:17 pm
I've been looking at that link you sent me...

Two questions:

1: Did you mean to write 'transfer' instead of 'transmit'? The Link you included states 'transfer'

2: Is there some kind of master documentation that shows all of the possible options?
by badsearcher on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:01 pm
So, I tried several different ways but it does not appear that the Keylab 88 receives the VST's value that is transferred even when I set the options to 'receive transfer public nofeedback'

Is there anything I might be missing? At this point, if that doesn't work, how do I set studio one to receive relative messages?

I gotta say, I'm a bit astounded that there isn't more readily available documentation and presentations of features of such a basic MIDI approach.
by niles on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:09 am
I'm not familiar with the Keylab 88, but one thing that is important, it has to be able to receive CC data on the encoders. So that if you send a value to it, it takes over that value.

If that's the case this line should work for the CC74 (#4A) encoder.
Code: Select all
<Control name="controlb004a" title="Control2" type="knob" options="receive transmit nofeedback public">
<MidiMessage status="#B0" channel="0" address="#4A"/>
</Control>
To check if Studio One send out the CC data properly, Open the MIDI monitor in Studio One and turn the knob on the External Device mapping screen with you mouse. If a B0 4A xx 00 message is send to [OUT] port of the Keylab 88, you know Studio One is doing its part.

badsearcher wrote1: Did you mean to write 'transfer' instead of 'transmit'? The Link you included states 'transfer'
Sorry, that was a typo. Thanks for mentioning it.
I ment "transmit"

badsearcher wrote2: Is there some kind of master documentation that shows all of the possible options?
Not that I'm aware off. The only option is to dive in the prefabricated devices and just try out stuff by trail and error.

by badsearcher on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:28 pm
Thank you for all the insights, I'm gonna go over to Arturia to see if it's able to receive CCs for encoders.
by sarrova-q on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:32 am
Sorry to revive this old post but I have a related question:

how can I make S1 work with relative values for endless encoders?
I have a Push 2 which sends out a cc with value 127 when turning left and 1 when turning right.

I tried changing the control type in my .xml file, but with no luck: knob, relative or encoder all do the same.

Thanks!
by wonder6oy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:10 pm
Is there a way of doing this yet? Trying to use a controller with relative encoders here as well.

system specs: Studio One 5.1.0, Windows 10 64bit, Intel I7 8700K
by ronhatfield on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:23 pm
I got the same problem with the Novation SL MK3.
I went Novation's way (the way they suggest to add an instrument/HUI) and the stuff worked but it was CRIPPLED (thanks Novation). So I added a NEW unnamed instrument and control surface. Then I went through the massive PITA of adding all the buttons, faders and knobs to the GLOBAL MIDI learn.
Everything is working except the knobs when only send limited data back to Studio One. Turning a knob to the right results in values up to around 25-30 and turning the knob left results in numbers from100-80. So when adding these knobs in focus mode for say a plugin the data isn't right and I don't get the desired result from the plugin knob. Hoping someone can help.
by niles on Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:22 pm
ronhatfield wroteI got the same problem with the Novation SL MK3.
I'm not familiar with the device, but you can try to set the knobs to relative in the *.surface.xml of the 'new device' (can be found in your Studio One settings folder (Help > Open Settings Folder) in \User Devices).

To create a relative control change the type="knob" to type="relative" for the knobs.

<Control name="knob[1]" title="Control2" type="relative" options="receive nofeedback public">
If they respond reversed, add options="reversed" to the MidiMessage.
<MidiMessage status="#B0" channel="0" address="#48" options="reversed"/>

by oddie on Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:25 pm
Thanks for this really useful information.

Does anyone know if there is a complete list of XML commands/parameters anywhere?

It seems that generic midi controllers can have more functionality in Studio One than Presonus are letting us know about. I had previously asked technical support about soft takeover and was simply told Studio One doesn't do it but it would have been helpful if they had said that you can configure controllers yourself using XML.
by baseliner on Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:07 pm
I heard from Presonus support too, that Studio One doesn't support (yet...) soft takeover natively.

"Unfortunately" i ordered an M-Audio Oxygen Pro which has a "soft takeover" feature implemented, which works perfectly in Ableton Live and Bitwig, but not in S1.

With Nektars Impact LX+ soft takeover should be possible in Studio One with their script.
It looks, that it should be possible to get soft takeover working in S1 for other Midikeyboards too (with the right scripting skills ;-)
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 am
I guess I'm not clear on "soft takeover"

The sliders work well it seems, but I'm not clear on what to do to check knobs.

Bye......:roll:
by baseliner on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:14 am
reggie1979beatz wroteI guess I'm not clear on "soft takeover"

with "soft takeover" you will get no jumping faders disturbing your mix in the S1 console. Softwarefader of S1 Mixer doesn't move as long as Keyboardfader has not reached its exact position (pickup)

I trying to find out before buying, if KK S49 is doing soft takeover in S1. Nobody (Presonus, Native Instruments) is talking about this (for me) important feature.

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2