Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
So...I have a Quantum ordered. I was looking at cables and adapters. I have a PC with a Gigabyte Designare 390 with two TB3 ports. I own some Startech products that I like but I noted reviews for the Startech TB3 to 2 adapter has mixed reviews. The worst being that it has to be unplugged and re-plugged sometimes as devices are not always recognized. The Cablematters adapter has very good reviews and specifically mentions that the recognition issue doesn't happen as with the Startech. Very expensive at Newegg. I found it on Amazon cheaper than the Startech. I also ordered a Wavlink 2 foot TB3 cable. It has the 40gps rating that longer cables don't and gets positive reviews for quality. I have been doing electronic music since the 70's. I've seen a lot of changes. Been through the voodoo of SCSI cable management. ;) I will post here as to how it works out.

17-8700k 64gb ram Gigabyte Designare Z390 MB Quantum 2626 Interface Win 10 Pro 64
by TerjeNorway on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:17 am
I have no problem with the unplugged and re-plugged issue. Thought that was mainly the Apple adapter. Think the Startech adapter and cable is the prefered combination for the Quantum. Never heard of the Cablematters adapter but I guess you could be lucky. That being said I don't think the adapter and cable is the the right thing to save money on..

Edit:
When I looked at the pictures of the The Cablematters adapter it looks very similar to the Startech adapter so it is probably very similar also on the inside.

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by PerryD on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm
Received the Cable Matters adapter today. Not encouraging. The plastic case around the port is not large enough to accept the TB cable! I will have to get an RMA and reorder. The attached cable on the adapter is TB3 and the port is for a TB2 cable, correct? :reading:

17-8700k 64gb ram Gigabyte Designare Z390 MB Quantum 2626 Interface Win 10 Pro 64
by PerryD on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:25 pm
The actual TB port inside the adapter looks correct. It's just the hole in the plastic case is too small or not aligned correctly to accept the cable. :/

by TerjeNorway on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm
that is strange. You are sure you bought the right cable and adapter. What kind of cable did you buy?
It should be like this:
https://www.span.com/product/StarTech-Thunderbolt-Cable-TBOLTMM2MW-2m-White~41077
Beware of the difference between a Mini-DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 2. Mini-DisplayPort will not fit into a Thunderbolt 2 port. Be sure that the cable number is: TBOLTMM2MW

And the adapter is this right?:
https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cable-Matters-Thunderbolt-Adapter/dp/B01D0D7QU0
That probably will work fine but if it does not buy a adapter with number: TBT3TBTADAP

Of course it could be some kind of production fault

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by PerryD on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:55 pm
I returned the adapter and cable and ordered the Startech adapter & cable. I am hoping this will work. Yes, it appeared that the Cablematters adapter case had the wrong size of hole. The port looked like a TB port but you could not even see the entire port through the hole in the case. :)

by lucacannavacciuolo on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:31 am
I've been using that adapter for 2 years with 2 quantum in parallel...works great!

Win10 - i9 10940x @ 4,2 GHz - Asus Prime x299 A-II- Asus GTX1080 - 32GB DDR4 @ 2800 Mhz - Asus Thunderboltex 3 - 2 x Quantum - 2 x Yamaha SPX 2000 - Eventide Eclipse V4.01- DB166 XS - Yamaha DTX582 - Studio One Pro 4.5.2
by christopherkennedy3 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:12 pm
I was expecting my PreSonus Quantum 2 to include a ThunderBolt 2 cable; my PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 included a USB cable and with the Quantum series being so, let's say, exclusive, I simply knew it was going to be in the box. I was wrong.

So, the only immediate and local source of the cable in need was Staples. They had a 2 meter Apple-branded cable. I don't much care for Apple or their products, but they know how to muster-up some fancy packaging! So I bit the bullet and, combined with an Apple-branded TB3-to-TB2 Adapter obtained earlier from Amazon, my Quantum 2 qorks flawlessly on my Windows-based mobile workstation.

So, with that said, resolutely, Apple's ThunderBolt Adapters and Cables work with PCs and Quantum-series interfaces.

- southsidesmoka

"Keep jammin'..."

Lenovo P72 - Xeon E-2176M / 64GB RAM / 1TB SSD RAID / 1TB HDD
PreSonus Quantum 2
PreSonus ATOM
PreSonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors
PreSonus Studio One Professional
Alesis V49
MXL DX-2 Guitar Amplifier Microphone
MXL 990 Vocal Microphone
Fender Stratocasters
Fender Jazz Basses