Share your songs!
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I may need help, I can't seem to stop covering Dan tunes!
Here's my latest, hope you enjoy it!

phpBB [audio]

Here's the lineup:
Drums-AD2
Bass- Yamaha BB604 recorded direct
Guitar- Bitwood ST Standard through a Marshall DSL40R
Pianos- Waves Electric 88
Organ and synth- NI Vintage Keys
Horns- NI Session Horns Pro

RS Cain plays Bitwood Guitars exclusively.
AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 1 Tb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Presonus Studio One 4 Pro, Pro Tools 2019.6, Izotope Neutron 3 Advanced and Ozone 9 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch and Extender, Bitwood Guitars, and stuff.

"TURN IT UP!"
by sirmonkey on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:53 pm
Sounds awesome! I really love the whole production...sounds very fresh and alive.
It retains that certain Steely Dan vibe/mood, which words can't exactly describe.
The balance between the lead and backing vocals is perfect, and your voice lends itself
to the song very well. The keys/synths are a bit more lively and modern to my ear- in a
good way. Full marks all around :punk:

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by zenithian on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 pm
As a Steely Dan fan, I approve!

NG
SC
VM
PP
Oh, I almost forgot that I'm on ConceptArt.org. (Search for FightingSeraph)
Audio Equipment: Asus PC with Windows 8.1 that has the Classic Shell program.
Presonus Audiobox USB
Korg Electribe MX
MicroKorg XL
M-Audio Keystation 88 ES
Studio One Artist and Professional
Ableton Live 8 & 9 Lite
LMMS
by cwestmont on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:41 pm
Great job! Emulating Sterly Dan is a difficult mountain to climb but this is an admirable effort.

Studio One 4 Professional
Mac Mini M1
Scarlet 4i4
Roland Juno DS keys

Music
Look for these names on Spotify and other streaming sites:
3ud https://soundcloud.com/3ud_aka_bud
Hummingbird Cinema https://soundcloud.com/hummingbirdcinema
Mosaic Manifesto (instrumentals only)
by rscain on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:55 am
sirmonkey wroteSounds awesome! I really love the whole production...sounds very fresh and alive.
It retains that certain Steely Dan vibe/mood, which words can't exactly describe.
The balance between the lead and backing vocals is perfect, and your voice lends itself
to the song very well. The keys/synths are a bit more lively and modern to my ear- in a
good way. Full marks all around :punk:

Thank you, Sir!
The vocals were a trip. I couldn't believe how hard it is to sing "perfec-tion" 3 times exactly the same way! :shock:
I've always been a fan of Donald Fagen's singing style, that kind of "world-weary hipster" thing he does, it seems so perfect for the music. I suppose that's one of the things that makes them great.
Also glad you liked the mix on the keys. I wonder what The Dan would sound like if they were recording today?
Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment!

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 1 Tb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Presonus Studio One 4 Pro, Pro Tools 2019.6, Izotope Neutron 3 Advanced and Ozone 9 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch and Extender, Bitwood Guitars, and stuff.

"TURN IT UP!"
by rscain on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:01 am
zenithian wroteAs a Steely Dan fan, I approve!

Thanks a lot!! If a Dan Fan likes it then I feel like I've done my job! :D
Really, thank you.

"TURN IT UP!"
by rscain on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:09 am
cwestmont wroteGreat job! Emulating Sterly Dan is a difficult mountain to climb but this is an admirable effort.

Thank you very much. It's a labor of love, their music fascinates me,and I learn something new doing every song. Such inventiveness in what was, at the time, considered "Pop" music (at least by the record company) is not only amazing but, to me shows an admirable commitment to what they were doing. Their label always wanted them to simplify their music, to make "hits". They made a lot of hits but they did it their way. Classy.
Again, thanks a lot!

"TURN IT UP!"

7 posts
Page 1 of 1