Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi
I would like to use the record function in notion 6, along with the mixer, to make level adjustments etc to my midi files. The files are written in notion, use notions own instruments etc, and play and sound fine when simply playing the score. But the record function seems to do nothing?
My scores etc can be exported to audio as is, and sound ok, but I want to use the record and mixer to make adjustments.

There doesn't seem to be any explanation of this function in the manual but the record button and mixer are there so must be of some use.

I am probably missing something simple but if someone could explain or point me to information on how to do this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mel.
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:17 pm
It sounds like you want to record "automation" in Notion. In other words, like in a DAW, you can record adjustments you make to the sliders in the mixer as the music plays back, and have the program recall them.

Unfortunately, at this point, Notion can't do this. It's a frequently requested feature, but there is no way to record automation of the mixer in Notion. I think that many of us are hoping for that in a future release!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by melroyroddie on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:16 pm
Hi and thanks . . so even if I set the levels at my preferences, and leave them like that, then hit the record button . . . it won't record at the new settings ? Seems a bit pointless then.

So I guess that means I have to save up for Studio one or whatever to record notion scores ??

Thanks for the info . . . I couldn't find anything about recording in the manual (maybe that's why).

Cheers, Mel.
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:20 am
A few bits of information will be helpful . . . :)

(1) NOTION does not record audio. It mixes and outputs generated audio, but it doesn't record audio.

(2) The "Record" function in NOTION is used to record MIDI, but only one MIDI input to only one staff at a time.

(3) If you have a MIDI keyboard and connect it properly to NOTION, then you can click on a NOTION staff to designate the staff as the target for the MIDI you play on the MIDI keyboard. Recording the MIDI starts when you press "Record" in NOTION. There are various options and parameters, of course, so for example you can have a count-in.

(4) The NOTION mixer is used for a variety of activities, including ReWire, MIDI, setting the levels for the audio generated by NOTION, and modifying generated audio using VST effects plug-ins.

(5) If you want to record and automate volume slider and panning actions, then you need to send the audio or MIDI to Studio One Professional, since Studio One Professional is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application and works well with NOTION.

(6) If you have VSTi virtual instruments, you can host them in Studio One Professional and cause them to be played by music notation in NOTION on ReWire MIDI staves, which is the way i use NOTION and Studio One Professional. To the best of my knowledge, NOTION and Studio One Professional are the only applications that do ReWire MIDI at this level of coordination, synchronization, and implementation--with the ReWire MIDI aspects of these PreSonus applications being more than sufficient reason to use them for digital music production.

(7) As Michael Myers explained in the first reply, Studio One Professional supports something called "automation", and the support is deep and rich. You can make adjustments to a range of sliders, panning controls, buttons and knobs on VST effects plug-ins, and lots of other stuff. Studio One Professional will record the way you push, rotate, slide, and so forth. This is different from recording audio. Instead, it's recording activities you perform using buttons, sliders, and so forth. Once recorded, you can use drawing tools to make changes to the way the various activities and motions are recorded. You also can do this simply by using the drawing tools. An example of something you might want to automate is the motion of the Master Stereo Output track's volume slider so that at the end of the song there is a smooth fade. If you move the volume slider, it probably will not be such a smooth fade, but it doesn't matter because you can use the drawing tools to change the not-so-smooth fade to a straight line or curve that is exactly as you desire. The general rule is that you can automate nearly everything, including all the buttons, knobs, and so forth of VST effects plug-ins. Most VST effects plug-ins expose or make available virtual festivals of parameters and actions that can be controlled via automation. For reference, "expose" in this context is a software engineering colloquialism meaning the stuff a VST effects plug-in makes available for purposes of telling it what to do via automation. This terminology was developed by the folks who devised Object-Oriented Programming Systems (OOPS), a group of folks who prefer dwelling in basements and using risqué words. These are the same folks who discovered and use the word "reify", for similar reasons--basically that it sounds exotic and nearly nobody knows what it actually means. It means "make real", so in the jargon of these folks, they expose their objects so that other like-minded folks can reify them. In the grand scheme of everything, this might be the primary reason few normal people understand any of this stuff at first, because normal people don't think this way, which makes it a bit of a secret. Now that you know the secret, you are well along the way to being a mutant like the rest of us . . . :P

THOUGHTS

This is one of my topics in this forum, and it provides a detailed step-by-step explantion of what I call the "ReWire MIDI" strategy with NOTION and Studio One Professional--with extensive examples . . .

[NOTE: As I recall, there are some examples of using automation lanes to control some of the parameters of VST effects plug-ins. I call them "lanes", since in Studio One Professional they look to me like bowling lanes, which in addition to our dreams, desires, Country Western music, and women is one of the things the Aliens From Outer Space want to steal from us--specifically, our bowling leagues. As you probably have guessed, I touch-type rapidly and tend to be verbose; so there is a lot of information in my posts--some of which actually is useful, or so I think . . . :+1 ]

Project: ReWire ~ NOTION + Studio One Professional (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

[NOTE: All the music videos I post are enjoyed best when listening with studio quality headphones like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite). Listening with studio quality headphones makes it easier to hear all the subtle stuff and motion effects--my songs and popular music songs I study, like "Blue Ain't Your Color" (Keith Urban) . . . ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by melroyroddie on Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:42 am
That's a great bit of info . . . really appreciate you taking the time to put all that down.
Clarifies things . . . I will have a look at your vid & tips etc . . definitely.

I got a couple new words to impress folks with too !!!
And I can see Studio is my best bet to do what I think I want . . (kinda thought that's where this would go tho')

Ok, thanks again to both of you.

Cheers, Mel
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:06 pm
You might want to check out the version comparisons for S1. Looks like Artist supports sending and receiving audio and MIDI files with Notion.

https://www.presonus.com/products/studio-one/compare-versions

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by melroyroddie on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:49 am
OK, Thanks . . . will do

Mel . .
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:18 am
I did a bit of checking regarding the versions of Studio One . . . :)

THOUGHTS

(1) Studio One Artist currently is on sale for $99.95 (US), but it doesn't have Third-party plug-in support (AU, VST2, and VST3 plug-ins and ReWire applications) . . .

There is an Add-On for Studio One Artist which provides Third-party plug-in support (AU, VST2, and VST3 plug-ins and ReWire applications), but it costs $79.99 (US) . . .

This maps to Studio One Artist and the Add-On for Third-party plug-in support (AU, VST2, and VST3 plug-ins and ReWire applications) costing $179.94 (US), excluding sales tax . . .

You need ReWire to do a ReWire session with Studio One as the ReWire host controller and NOTION as the ReWire slave, which is the way you ensure Studio One and NOTION are synchronized . . .

(2) Studio One Professional is on sale for $299.92 (US), excluding sales tax . . .

It supports everything--including AUi virtual instruments (Mac only), VSTi virtual instruments (Mac and Windows), AU effects plug-ins (Mac only), VST effects plug-ins (Mac and Windows), and Rewire (Mac and Windows)--and has a virtual festival of useful stuff, including Melodyne Essential (Celemony), which can be updated to Melodyne Editor at an attractive price that for practical purposes makes the Melodyne Essential component worth approximately $100 if you plan to upgrade to the version of Melodyne Editor that I use here in the sound isolation studio . . .

Melodyne (Celemony)

This is another my projects, and it's focused on my favorite virtual sporano, Realivox Blue (RealiTone), and using the Melodyne Editor to improve the enunciation and human qualities of Realivox Blue . . .

Project: Realivox Blue (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

Realivox Blue (RealiTone)

[NOTE: This is the most current version of the experiment, and it's pretty good. There are some difficult phonetics, and getting them to sound realistic required a lot of work in the Melodyne Editor, which was interesting. The song is inspired by "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana), which apparently was inspired by a popular deodorant for teens, which I think is vastly funny. The premise is that sometime in the future there will be cyborgs who are so realistic that the only way to determine if someone is a human or a cyborg is to taste them, because cyborgs have a distinct taste that distinguishes them from humans and is the only easy way to make a quick determination. For reference "Anarchy" is a similar set of personal hygiene products by AXE, which apparently are popular among the so-called "Youth of Today" . . . :P ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Realivox Blue has a phonetic scripting language, which is used to make it possible for Blue to sing nearly any phrase in any language, including English and Latin, as well as any other language you can express phonetically with the phonetic scripting language . . .

Realivox Blue requires Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), since it runs as a Kontakt 5 virtual instrument (VSTi and all that) . . .

For reference, over the past several years the Native Instruments folks have had a one-week Thanksgiving Holiday sale where Kontakt 5 is discounted by 50 percent to $200 (US), and this is the best time to get Kontakt 5 at the lowest price . . .

Regarding the intricacies of phonetics, I taught myself ventriloquism and radio announcing, which are an excellent ways to gain an intimate understanding of phonetics . . .

[NOTE: This was done about 12 years ago, before I discovered virtual instruments, NOTION, and so forth, hence was done with real instruments--one instrument at a time, of course. The outer space sounds are done on an Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer, and some of the other synthesizer sounds are done with a KORG Triton Music Workstation . . . ]

phpBB [video]

To the point, it's very easy and natural for me to do phonetic scripting for Blue, and while the phonetic scripting language is good, there are ways to improve it using the Melodyne Editor, as explained in the aforementioned post . . .

In this regard, it's mostly the beginnings and endings of words; and even with professionally trained singers, the beginnings and endings of words are overdubbed to increase the overall clarity of the singing . . .

Listen to this Miley Cyrus song with studio quality headphone like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite) with attention to the overdubs of the beginnings and endings of words as well as the elaborate vocal effects, which is producing activity. The easiest ones to hear are the overdubs for the words that end with "t", "k", and so forth, where sometimes it's just a short in-and-out overdub or a repetitive echo usually created by the producers and audio engineers . . .

[NOTE: When you consider all the singing--including the background and harmony singing--I think it's accurate to suggest there are from 100 to 150 vocal tracks, overdubs, echoes, and other vocal effects. This is one of the songs I study, and I didn't hear the Pink Floyd style background counterpoint until I had listened to the song with studio quality headphones for about 10 hours, with the key bit of information being that it takes a while to hear everything that is happening, even when you are what one might call a "trained listener" . . . ]

phpBB [video]

The upgrades and acquisitions for Melodyne Editor, Kontakt 5, and Realivox Blue cost about $750 (US), which is not peanuts, but with a bit of work you can transform Blue into a very human soprano; and in the grand scheme of everything--even with the extensive experimenting and learning--costs about as much as hiring a real soprano for perhaps eight hours, hence is a good investment when you want to add female soprano singing to your songs . . .

Over time, you will discover that VSTi virtual instruments make it possible to move everything to a higher level, and this is one of the reasons it's prudent to start looking for discount sales, since VSTi virtual instruments tend be a bit expensive if you pay full prices rather than discounted prices when there are discount sales . . .

SUMMARY

The perspective here in the sound isolation studio is that sooner or later you will want to do more stuff, hence smart shopping is the best overall strategy . . .

You don't need to have everything at first, but over time you will want more stuff when the goal is produce the highest quality songs using the most realistic virtual instruments and sound libraries . . .

Lots of FUN! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by melroyroddie on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:29 pm
Ha
Am just running out the door to work .. ....
Need to look at this later ... but am amazed at the amount of help you guys have given me.
Great advice and detail
Thanks heaps...

Mel

9 posts
Page 1 of 1