FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
So just today my Faderport 16 was delivered. I'm gently easing myself out of Avid land, and I needed something to replace the two Artist Mix panels, so here we are.

My main laptop is a mid-2015 retina, that at one unfortunate point had lemonade spilled on it. New keyboard and various other components later, it's working fairly well. It runs Universal Controller on my StudioLive 32R flawlessly (also USB). The Faderport, though, not so much. It has a hard time connecting, and when it does it only stays connected for a few seconds. I suspected a bad Faderport, but I tried the controller on my old 2010 Mac Pro and a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, and it stays connected solid. So the 2015 machine has the problem.

I did the PRAM and SMC resets, no difference. Unfortunately, ever since the repair the USB port on the right side of the laptop doesn't work at all, so using that isn't an option either.

Looks like it's new laptop time AGAIN. Eeesh. I just find it weird that the retina has no problems running the mixer GUI for the 32R, and can't handle the Faderport. Oh well.

Peter

PS--Faderport looks like a nice piece of kit so far.

MacBook Pro 15,1 2.3GHz
Ventura 13.5.2
Studio One 6.5.2
StudioLive 32R
Faderport 16
ATOM
by briankeithly on Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:59 pm
Did you ever get this sorted out?
by peterbaird on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:51 am
I gave up and ordered a new MacBook Pro. The retina has some value on a trade-in, so I'm taking advantage of that.

Using the Faderport right now with my venerable Mac Pro (mid 2010 six-core 3.4Ghz) and it works really well. I have some Pro Tools sessions I'm finally finishing up and delivering, and the Faderport HUI emulation is quite good.

My major consideration moving forward is that I don't want to maintain a separate laptop and desktop any more for music production. I may hang on to the Mac Pro for video editing, and I may sell it. The laptop will be the main music platform.

Peter

MacBook Pro 15,1 2.3GHz
Ventura 13.5.2
Studio One 6.5.2
StudioLive 32R
Faderport 16
ATOM

3 posts
Page 1 of 1