StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Compared to my other mixer being a Soundcraft MKT model, where you plug in the cable, install the driver and it just works, this is a mess:

- PreSonus doesn't bridge the gap, you have to buy 2 Adapters and a cable:
Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Crapple Thunderbolt 2 to x-pin Firewire adapter
Fire-wire cable - together over $100 - just adding the cost of this adapter mess cluttering up your work area is making this something of a bad deal, but it doesn't end there:

- You have to fumble with software settings spread in different places.
- Manual told me to to open both UC AND StudioOne - just to get PC sound to the mixer
- If you close the Presonus software, if you change projects, Sound stops! Is there No independent driver?

Question:
"Synergy means I must use Presonus software or I can't really use the hardware?"
I'm just asking to be sure, I much hope I'm wrong:

If, say, I wanted to use a StudioLive mixer with Cakewalk Sonar, without installing Studio One or UC, would it even work?

At this point, I'm about ready to return the adapters and the mixer while I still can.
Presonus' fat-channels are so well done and easy to control on the mixer. But the computer software side could stand improvement and polish - like basic stuff, Sound going out of the computer to the mixer from a driver that doesn't bow out at every opportunity, and sometimes in the middle of playback.

Maybe its this adapter hodgepodge - even though its approved by PreSonus, the workings are glitchy somewhere. Its the difference between wasting 2 hours getting sound on and off and on and off, vs having sound immediately and permanently and getting on with your project.
by SwitchBack on Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:53 am
If your computer doesn’t have a compatible firewire interface then yes, you need some extra hardware to add one. Part of the ‘classic’ deal.

As for the drivers: The ASIO or Core Audio drivers are installed by installing Universal Control V1.7.6. Once installed UC doesn’t need to run for you to use them. If you’re on PC and really want to use WDM (despite its deficiencies) then you do need UC to choose the outputs for the WDM channels. Up to you.
by nielswoisin on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:37 am
Much thanks for the answer!

I downloaded whatever the 'current' UC download on the Presonus website was offered...

- Do you mean I need to specifically download an older one?
I'll check the laptop later for the version number...

And no, I wasn't trying to use any particular driver - I figured the UC installation would automatically install the driver it wants to work with - unless maybe the user bothers to make some specific choice?
There certainly was no dialog box asking me if I wanted to chose between ASIO, WDM or WMD :)
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:13 am
Yes, you need the latest version of UC as provided by your mixer’s download page (Wahler provided the link in your other thread).

ASIO vs. WDM is something to google. The short version of the story is that ASIO provides better audio performance so use that wherever your apps can. UC installs drivers for both.

ASIO provides channels for all inputs and outputs your mixer’s interface has. No further (UC) action needed. WDM (Window’s embedded media handling system) has a limited audio channel count, so for WDM audio you need UC (WDM tab in Settings) to choose the interface’s channels you want the WDM driver to connect to.

Hope that helps.
by sjc193 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:41 am
Did you buy that used?

I believe there is a 16.0.2 available nowadays that runs on USB instead of firewire. If I were buying one, I'd be getting the USB version cause it would easily work on almost any computer.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by nielswoisin on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm
You are correct, its used and was too cheap to pass up.

Especially since my original plan of what I wanted to buy from PreSonus turned out impossible:

I wanted the SLIII 24 channel rack mixer and use a Faderport 16 to control it...
This way I could go to live venues with the rack only and leave the Faderport safely at the house ^^.

But people told me that Faderport won't work with the rack mixers, so that went out the window.

So when this thing popped up for $260, I thought lets use that for a while and check out how PreSonus does these things and see if I like the workflow and details etc.

So far, I like my Soundcraft better. Its 100% predictable when you come from using analog mixers
And I could probably still use their multi-track USB audio interface after suffering a lobotomy. Its that simple in both directions ;-)

Now maybe this one is too, once you have the correct version of UC - so happens my account page sent me to the wrong download page after I registered it! So I ended up with the latest 2019 version of UC, instead of the one from 2017 for this particular mixer...

Now I have to re-test, when I get time...
by SwitchBack on Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:56 pm
I think it’s a little unfair to judge PreSonus based on the fairly old 16.0.2. It’s one of the very first PreSonus mixers and it uses an interface (firewire) which by now has become a rarity.

Having said that it’s arguably PreSonus’ most loved first generation mixer, So much so that PreSonus re-issued the mixer with a usb interface instead of firewire. Still, compared to the current Series III mixers it’s limited in many ways.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1