8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Studio One 4.5, Windows. Working on a song with some MIDI and some audio. The piano is MIDI.

Audio track comping works great, I can see the colors of the individual layers in each selected section of the "comped" result, and the selected sections are also highlighted in the individual layers.

Further, I can "scroll" between layers with CTRL + MOUSEWHEEL. I hear there are also keyboard shortcuts that do the same thing.

All of that is really handy. But why doesn't it work the same way on MIDI tracks?

With a MIDI track, the individual chosen sections are color coded in the comped result, but the sections are not highlighted in the layers themselves. Since the colors are so "muted" in the layers, I really can't easily tell which layer is active. Any "shade" of red looks the same unless it's highlighted.

Further, the CTRL + MOUSEWHEEL scrolling to audition different layers in a particular section does not work.

Unless I am missing something, it seems that the designers made what for me is a very intuitive and efficient system for audio, but forgot to implement the same features for MIDI. Is the assumption that we will all render everything to audio before comping?
by garyshepherd on Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:44 am
I have struggles with MIDI comping - it is far less easy than audio (which is not logical). I now do not layer MIDI as comping is inconsistent with what shows up in the Arrange window for a comped track. It is a bit weird unless I am missing something. When I used DP the call by users was always for MIDI takes (like audio) - but what we have in S1 is not really working that well. I have been editing MIDI since the 1980's so I am no newbie.

Of course someone may know better and can point to a way of doing this better?

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Studio One 6.6 Professional Minus (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.3, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Bbd on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 pm
I can comp MIDI instrument parts w/o issue. If the MIDI part is layered, I highlight just what I want to promote it to the track.
Agreed that it is not at the level of audio comping but it does the job well for comping multiple takes for me.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by DrummaMan on Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:39 pm
I just found this thread, as I too agree with OP.

Studio One Pro 5.2.0.63799 (Latest version)

Once the comping of multiple Instrument takes is complete, there is no apparent way to "flatten" the comped tracks to one main instrument track for final MIDI editing.

I'm an ol' Cakewalk Sonar Platinum user, and Cakewalk excelled at MIDI editing and manipulation.

This thread is a couple of years old, and I was hoping some improvements would have been done by now. (Sure, there is plenty of cool "live" features that few will actually use, but no advancement to MIDI manipulation - which many more could use.)

So with a multi-layer eDrum MIDI track (instrument track), how do I combine all of the comped takes into one contiguous instrument track for final editing of the MIDI notes?

I cannot used the merge command - it will not work.
I cannot use the render/bounce as that will make it an audio track.

"Flatten Layers to Main Track" should be in the menu selections, and it is not.

Or - am I missing something?

Thanks,
MG

Add "Include Mix FX" Check Box when saving Custom FX Chains: https://answers.presonus.com/73924/save ... x-channels - THUMB IT UP!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Windows 10 Pro x64 running on a custom tower PC with ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II MOBO/ LGA 2066 Intel Core i9 X (12 Core), 64GB RAM, 1TB M.2 (OS), 2TB M.2 (Sample Libraries) 2TB SSD for audio, 1TB Raptor Audio Backup, 4TB Storage/Backup Drive, (1) UAD2 Octo, (2) UAD2 Quad, Lynx Aurora 16/AES16e, Radeon RX 570 ROG Video Card
by Tacman7 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:51 pm
So you record the different parts on different layers?

A track would have a bunch of different takes and you comp your takes and you would only want your final take.

Selecting all the comped pieces then hit G works for me...

If you want to hear all the layers together you could drag them onto another track and put them on top of each other, select them all and merge them.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lokeyfly on Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:10 am
DrummaMan wrote .........Once the comping of multiple Instrument takes is complete, there is no apparent way to "flatten" the comped tracks to one main instrument track for final MIDI editing.

I'm an ol' Cakewalk Sonar Platinum user, and Cakewalk excelled at MIDI editing and manipulation.

So with a multi-layer eDrum MIDI track (instrument track), how do I combine all of the comped takes into one contiguous instrument track for final editing of the MIDI notes?

I cannot used the merge command - it will not work.
I cannot use the render/bounce as that will make it an audio track.

"Flatten Layers to Main Track" should be in the menu selections, and it is not.

Or - am I missing something?

Thanks,
MG

Merge works fine with a comped MIDI track. There should be no issue there. MIDI or Audio, promote layers, layer parts, and merge perfectly.

I'll have to try a multi Iayer. I guess you have your EDrum with assignments across multiple instruments. If you're creating multiple tracks with one instrument, there wouldn't be merging as they remain separate entities. If the multi produces one comped part, then there should be no merge issues. See if I can check. I don't have an EDrum, so either someone who has one could check that. I would just look at a form of a multi.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Tacman7 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:46 am
Would the whole edrum set output to a single track?

When you group tracks together they can share edits, like if I record wet and dry guitar on two tracks and group them then I edit one track but the other gets chopped up too.

I guess it would be better to convert to audio to have single instrument on single track but that can be done later with explode pitches right?

Guess I would try the workflow of a single track and see how it went.

Maybe a pic of how it looks when you go to merge the comped track...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lokeyfly on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:20 am
I guess we'll never know what he meant by can't merge. I agree Tacman7's, grouped tracks can share edits. And in the case of comping, a multi track still utilizes the notes on a single layer, with multiple lanes, only to be comped (promoted) and then after be combined. Otherwise drag the comped clip to another MIDI track to have it be one contiguous pass, the way it was recorded.

I don't get Drummaman's concern.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

8 posts
Page 1 of 1