22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi, my controller has touch sensitive motorised faders. The "touch" can send cc messages or note data. I want studio one to select the specific fader's channel when I touch it but I can't seem to set it up that way. The channel faders all work from the controller but I have to use a mouse to select that channel which is a bit of a pain.

Is there any way to achieve this ?
Last edited by TheUntalentedOne on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

S1 4.5.3 Artist, Studiolive Series III 16, Studiolive 32R, Windows 10, Behringer MOTOR
by TheUntalentedOne on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 am
No-one ?

S1 4.5.3 Artist, Studiolive Series III 16, Studiolive 32R, Windows 10, Behringer MOTOR
by Lokeyfly on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:02 am
My Novation SL MKII is touch sensitive.works fine. As soon as I touch a fader, button, or encoder, S1 highlights at that channel, so the touch alone indicates S1 is ready to respomd.

I'm pretty sure the touch sensitivity is happening through the Novation Automap once that is installed. Should be the same in your case.

Need more info about what it is you have, platform, etc.
You can add that info to your signature. Thx.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by TheUntalentedOne on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:55 am
Thanks for the reply.

It's good news that you have it working . It works for me in Cubase but I can't get Studio one to select the relevant channel when i touch the channel fader. I'll give it another go.

Studio One Artist 4.5 on Windows 10 computer. Controller is a Behringer Motor with 32 touch/motorised Faders, 32 Encoders and 32 Pads.

I have a Series III 16 desk and 32R but my problem is between the Studio One & Motor controller

by Lokeyfly on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:59 pm
Sorry, just trying to understand the controller you have. I see the "Behringer Motor" that has 8 motorized faders. Comes in 49, and 61 key keyboards. I don't believe it's the x32?.

It will help because there may be some mapping or driver software. Typically the touch end of these devices work within and send that CC data via MIDI, or system ex. Studio One basically can recognise or map to almost any MIDI device but the touch sensitivity may require some additional handshaking from your Behringer driver or installation software. Check that. You'll setup your Keyboard (send and receive) with Studio One as that Behringer Motor device. Then set up additionally either some HUI or Behringer device recognition as well. That will allow Studio One to operate your faders, and transport controls.

So its important (sorry) to know the exact Co trolley you have.

Studio One with its Faderports recognize touch control, as well as with Novation, and Behringer X-Touch, so it's just a matter of knowing the right install routine.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by TheUntalentedOne on Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:04 pm
Sorry for not making it clear, the MOTOR has 4 Banks of faders, encoders and pads = 32 of each

I just got the channel select to work by changing the Touch from note which is the default to CC on the MOTOR. Now, when I touch the fader it selects the relevant channel.

What I am trying to achieve is similar to how the Studiolive Fat Channel works. Take for example Pan. I set up 1 "universal" encoder for Pan. I select a channel and pan works for that channel only ... select another and it only works on it ... and so on

With this workflow I can have Pan , Compressor HPF and EQ set up so virtually all their parameters are controlled on the MOTORs encoder banks. At present I can't seem to achieve that workflow and don't really want for example, all 32 encoders taken up by 32 channels of Pan. My Cubase workflow has 1 encoder doing this and I just select which channel by touching the relevant fader.

I hope this makes sense

by Lokeyfly on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:21 am
Understand. Thx for verifying and stating equipment. Good you got the tough portion showing track change.

Quick device check:
In Edit Device. Make sure:
Your Behringer Control Receives from that device.

Send to: same device.

I'd think if you created some default MIDI maps like global, and focus mapping along with the Behringer user mode, the banks would work the way you want them to.

With global mode, you could say call up another device like any plugin, and that plugin if mapped would be seen by the Behringer Motor.

Unfortunately I can't speak product specific not having the Global Motor, but yeah I do understand your goal in setting all banks of faders, yet having more control. Also selecting one parameter to work on all 32 such as you're getting with Cubase.

Check this basic video on mapping and see if it opens any ideas for you. Takes a few minutes to get into the mapping but that might help.

https://youtu.be/itWM3iY4sfw

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by TheUntalentedOne on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:43 am
Doesn't look like it is going to work for me.

Say I put a Fat Channel plugin in on all tracks. I want to map the HPF to 1 control knob/encoder. I want that 1 knob to always work the HPF on any selected/focused track or plugin. At this point it doesn't really matter which controller keyboard is used, I just need to know if a single CC message can control a plugin's parameter depending on which track is selected

Can anyone try this out and get it to work. I would really love to know if it can or can't be done and I don't really want any third party programs involved.

I was thinking of upgrading to Professional from Cubase as I have Studiolive gear and Studio One integrates well with it. If I can't achieve this workflow, I will stick with Cubase and save some money :-) BTW this isn't a diss on Studio One, just a consequence of my scenario.

by Bbd on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:17 am
Have you contacted Behringer about this?

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by TheUntalentedOne on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 am
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think this is a hardware issue. It is how Studio One interprets messages. As I said above "At this point it doesn't really matter which controller keyboard is used, I just need to know if a single CC message can control a plugin's parameter depending on which track is selected"

The "Focus" needs to be track specific inside Studio One which doesn't seem to be the case. When using Cubase , you can control every parameter this way with the Generic remote. You only need to have the track selected and the Generic Remote remote works it's magic on that specific track. The plugins don't even need to be in focus (onscreen) , just the track they are on selected.

If someone could take a few minutes to see if they can get the Fat Channel HPF to work across different tracks as I described above, would be great.

by Lokeyfly on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:22 am
Are you using the control link to identify a CC parameter,? Any parameter, the Control link will typically work on.

See video below.
As a for instance, on an FP8 (touch sensitive device ), at 4:00, Johnny mentions that in focus mode, tracks will change that parameter. This is further shown by saving that 3rd party plugin (think of the Fat channels HPF, and more) being called up based on the channel you select.

This is how I'll use Waves SSL G and E channel strips. Of I change a channel in S1, the FP8 will bring up its own instance of that SSL. In video,
That's at 7:15.

Albeit, a little more than what you are trying to do with one parameter. I'd think 32 of some single parameter might be mapped but I've never tried that.

What you may not have happen is you might only have 8 total faders, 8 encoders, 8 buttons, etc. Per bank and not get all 32 that you're looking for. That may likely require saving per banks. Not sure. That's where Bbd is encouraging checking with Behringer. Since you are getting this to work in Cubase, give the S2 control link a try. I get some serious and near effortless control from even Rewire through Reason, and Pro Tools this way. That's for both MIDI CC, and plugin specific things such as NI instruments (Massive, FM8, etc.).

Have a look here as a reference, and try the control link.
Sorry, that's all I got. No time in the Studio today. :)

https://youtu.be/E7ZuHWhoqik
Hope that helps.

The channel faders all work from the controller but I have to use a mouse to select that channel which is a bit of a pain.

If I get a chance later, I'll try the Novation the way you requested. I'm almost positive that I'd have to change a bank, to have for instance a fader or encoder change past the 1st 8. With the FP8, that's easy as you can see in the video, Johnny uses the scroll knob on the FP to move through channels/banks which in turn, open and set plugin parameters for each channel. So, I'd guess you have some knob to step you through channels? I mean, how would you otherwise select past 8 without a mouse? (Via touching only 8 knobs). I'll see if it works on the 8 though.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by TheUntalentedOne on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am
The banks of Faders/encoders/pads are all controlled from the Motor. Each bank sends separate CCs , so it is independent of the DAW. I can successfully map all 32 faders, all 32 encoders, all 32 pads and Transport Control to Studio One Control Link. My problem is post this mapping.

Hopefully it is my lack of Studio One knowledge that is the problem and your comments give me hope that it is operator error on my part and I can eventually get it working the way I want. I really do appreciate your help. I'll give it another go tomorrow and hopefully i'm missing something simple.

Just noticed this
I mean, how would you otherwise select past 8 without a mouse? (Via touching only 8 knobs). I'll see if it works on the 8 though.
This works by switching to Bank 9-16 or 17-24 or 25-32 on the motor and just touching a fader e.g hit button for bank 25-32 and touch first fader will select track 25, hit button for bank 17-24 and touch 2nd fader will select track 18 and so on. This is also how you select the 32 encoders and 32 pads. The 32 pads can also send Program Change messages and this is independent of their note or cc use.

Also the original select problem from my 1st post has been worked out, as I pointed out earlier

Edit, just watched a bit of that video and it looks like I should be able to make Studio One work as I want . I'll give it another go with a clear head tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on :punk:

by Lokeyfly on Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:10 pm
Cool. Sorry I couldn't get to checking the Novation SL-MKII for the Fat Channel check. Will look tomorrow. Closed the pool today and a ton of other stuff. I need another life with spending time in the Studio. :|
Talk then.

Lokeyfly wrote:I mean, how would you otherwise select past 8 without a mouse? (Via touching only 8 knobs). I'll see if it works on the 8 though.

Senior moment. Lol. Obviously you're switching banks. My oops.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:29 am
Ok, so I tested the Fat Channel HPF with the Novation SL MKII, using the control link. I could crrate multi 32 fader control but couldn't have one fader universally call up other channels by touch. I know that's what you're going for as is the case with the Studio Live fat channel. I'm not not sure if a single dedicated encoder will signal channels with Studio One, but I'm not an expert. Just haven't used that functionality, though it seems quite useful. I'd also be interested in knowing if soft-takeover occurs where you position a fader, move to another track, and either by mouse reposition of a value, or bank reposition, what happens when you then move that same fader/encoder. The problem can be an unwanted jump of that parameter by virtue of a non endless encoder (or at worst, even with an endless encoder). I don't want to steer your question to that, but I'd say keep it in mind as you seek an answer for single fader control of mutiple channels. It likely will crop up.

Sorry, my workflow has been the use of the control link for mapping and not checking much with cc's. Someone may have a solution or script so that you could best see CC transmission in and back from Studio One. I see the controller number but that it. I'll post your question for visibility, and keep an eye out in case I want to try the same. Good luck, my friend.
JT

Theuntalentedone wrote: (question) Say I put a Fat Channel plugin in on all tracks. I want to map the HPF to 1 control knob/encoder. I want that 1 knob to always work the HPF on any selected/focused track or plugin. At this point it doesn't really matter which controller keyboard is used, I just need to know if a single CC message can control a plugin's parameter depending on which track is selected

What I am trying to achieve is similar to how the Studiolive Fat Channel works. Take for example Pan. I set up 1 "universal" encoder for Pan. I select a channel and pan works for that channel only ... select another and it only works on it ... and so on

With this workflow I can have Pan , Compressor HPF and EQ set up so virtually all their parameters are controlled on the MOTORs encoder banks. At present I can't seem to achieve that workflow and don't really want for example, all 32 encoders taken up by 32 channels of Pan

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by TheUntalentedOne on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:58 am
Hi Lokefly, I do not use the faders for anything other than Volume and track selection (touch does this). I use the encoders for everything else .I could use faders for this though as they are motorised unlike any other controller keyboard

I could crrate multi 32 fader control but couldn't have one fader universally call up other channels by touch.
I think you misunderstand me. Each of the 32 faders (8 x 4 banks) select their own channel when touched, the same behaviour as using a mouse to select the channels. You would need 32 channels in your project to see this behaviour and have each "fader touch CC" mapped to these individual channels.

I'm not not sure if a single dedicated encoder will signal channels with Studio One, but I'm not an expert. Just haven't used that functionality, though it seems quite useful. I'd also be interested in knowing if soft-takeover occurs where you position a fader, move to another track, and either by mouse reposition of a value, or bank reposition, what happens when you then move that same fader/encoder. The problem can be an unwanted jump of that parameter by virtue of a non endless encoder (or at worst, even with an endless encoder)
I already have this part working. Faders for track volume/select and encoders pads for everything else. I have complete two way connection between MOTOR and Studio One, apart from what I discuss below, which unfortunately throws a spanner in the works of my workflow.

OK, got into it again this morning and there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that I got everything working the way I want inside Studio One with the plugin focus. Select a channel with the mouse and it moves to that channel's plugin instance.

The bad news is that a CC command to switch channels does not work when a plugin "is in focus", I have to use the mouse. If the plugin is set to "not be in focus" the CC command will work as I expect but this does not help my workflow scenario :-( It looks like this behaviour is written into Studio One code ?

Does anyone know a workaround for this behaviour ?
Last edited by TheUntalentedOne on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by TheUntalentedOne on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:42 am
I've just thought of something. Studio One has midi monitor in the bottom left. If you click it, you can check what midi messages are sent from your controller buttons/faders/encoders.

If someone with a Faderport 8/16 can check what message is sent when you hit "Track Select" button. If I had that information I may be able to get a workaround.

Edit: Nevermind, that won't work . I set up my Series III which works over ucnet (same as Faderport) and it isn't transmitting standard midi data .... Damn :(

by Lokeyfly on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:32 am
Hey, theuntalentedone,
Too bad, no go on encoders calling up different channels. Bummer.

Lokeyfly wrote: I could crrate multi 32 fader control but couldn't have one fader universally call up other channels by touch.

theuntalentedone wrote: I think you misunderstand me. Each of the 32 faders (8 x 4 banks) select their own channel when touched, the same behaviour as using a mouse to select the channels. You would need 32 channels in your project to see this behaviour and have each "fader touch CC" mapped to these individual channels.

No misunderstanding. The check you asked for involved one control knob to operate different channels (for Fat channel HPF). I checked on a song with just over 32 channels accessing A fat channel HPF on each using one control knob. Even altered that with both an endless encoder, and fader to note if any soft takeover difference might occur (for my own observation). Same conclusion though. I could select channels via mouse, but that was something you weren't looking for, from your OP.

On the bright side, you have the series 3 to perform that operation. Sure, the Motor would allow you the benefit of 8 more controls used the same way. I think you'll find some worthy uses for the 8 encoders in focus fashion though, on different parameters. Particularly with calling up for example a channel strip with multiple parameters, ala Control One fashion. It's very powerful that way.

Nevermind, that won't work . I set up my Series III which works over ucnet (same as Faderport) and it isn't transmitting standard midi data .

Good luck, there may still be a way to sync by Omni control, or some script if that were available. Keep pursuing, as maybe there's a compromise or another path.
Cheers.

P.s., I remember seeing Behringer present the Motor controllers a few years back at NAMM. It took about two years to get those out to the masses, but it was a great and affordable concept. Too long, keyboard controllers have been designed not reaping the rewards of motorised faders. Fortunately, Presonus like Behringer found an affordable offering that wasn't the same ol' HUI design. Nice purchase!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by TheUntalentedOne on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:41 am
Hi Lokeyfly,

Good news !!! I got everything to work :punk:

I had to add in the Presonus MMC device as well and point it's input and output to the Motor . This gives a load of different commands independent of midi cc . I have all transport , Track & Global solo , Track & Global mute and I can now select different channels while in Plug-In Focus mode and that's just the start !! I have to page to next or previous channels in Focus mode though but that will work. A tip here also ..... next/previous only works on arranger view. Bus tracks need to have an automation track on them to appear in arrangement view ... now you can page to those busses also.

There looks to be over 100 commands for virtually everything in Studio One when you use the MMC Device as well as your controller keyboard. Add on top of that midi cc control and the possibilities are huge.

To get this working correctly you need map your MMC commands to buttons (not knobs or faders) in the device window. Right click the button in Midi Learn mode and go to Assign Command....... you'll get a menu with loads of commands.

I now have 32 motorised track faders and 1 motorised master fader
Touch on all faders can all be mapped also -- I have mine for track select (MMC helps track select in Focus mode)
I have 32 endless encoders to map to anything I want and moving anything mapped inside Studio one mirrors on the Motor (faders + encoders)
I have full transport control
I have 32 pads that can send either cc or notes. 8 of the pads can send a Program Change message as well as cc or notes.
And I have a full working keyboard with aftertouch.
The only thing I'm missing is scribble strips but I can live with that as my template shouldn't really change.

I think I'll call my controller Frankenstein :D

And special thanks to you Lokeyfly , your tips and those videos pointed me in the right direction. Without that, I would never have gotten this to work :punk:

by Lokeyfly on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:54 pm
Hey TheUntalentedOne,

Awsome! My Novation SL MKII has scribble strips galore. I will explore mapping the MMC to buttons further. HPF is a good baseline to explore, because its a very useful parameter on channels to use for a single knob (as well as LPF).

Funny, I prepared a button to try with MMC, but figured it wouldn't buy me much good, so I ignored it.
Thanks for the great info. If I get into a snag exploring this further, I may message you for how you got it going.

Just a little knee high in finishing a project, but I'll definately check this out.

All the best!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by TheUntalentedOne on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm
No problem Lokefly.

And the buttons I mention are virtual buttons in the Device Learn window. You could feasibly map them to encoders or faders also if needed.

All the best.

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2