Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
After spending the weekend trying to figure out why I got no signal in capture (Mojave permissions issue) which was solved, I now have a playback problem.

Running Series III 24R with Capture 3 (both up to date) into MBP Mojave 10.14.6.

After recording a track into Capture, I hit the digital return to listen to the playback and get a god-awful, loud, obnoxious screeching noise with no sign of any of my recording.

To be sure, I bounced the track to a wav file and played it externally and it was fine.

Any help?
by wahlerstudios on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:39 am
"Digital Button"...? If your computer is connected to the mixer via USB, you need to select USB as input source for the channel(s) you want to receive audio from Capture tracks. Capture has a 1:1 routing. Track 1 is channel 1 one your mixer.
by Mark Palinkas on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:53 am
The playback button in Capture (shows as D))) ) automatically changes all channels to USB. I even tried to change the channel to USB input without hitting the D))) button in Capture - no dice. Does the same thing. And the MB is connected via USB.
by SwitchBack on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 am
That sounds like a feedback issue. Are your tracks in Cature still armed?
by Mark Palinkas on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:14 am
I'm at work so can't see it. I made sure to back down the trim on the channel in question so the meter wasn't clipping (I thought the same thing). It sound like the old AOL modem on steroids in play back.
by Mark Palinkas on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:26 am
...even without any track recorded just hitting the digital input in Capture causes the noise :/
by sjc193 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm
Sounds like a digital feedback loop. It's different from typical acoustic feedback in Live sound, it's much worse actually.

Not sure where you are going wrong, but an example of digital feed back would be plugging the output of AUX1 into the input of channel 1 and then sending channel 1 (plus another mic channel) to AUX1 in mixer. It can take the most subtle noise from the mic and basically multiply it by infinity (back and forth from aux1 to mic1) causing a terrible noise.

The same problem can be caused by going into the computer and back to the mixer in a loop also.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by Mark Palinkas on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:55 pm
Bingo. I just Y'd off 6 channels so I can have independent control of certain channels for monitoring. I think you hit it right on the head. I wondered about that last night but realized just now that what I did was pull a channel out AFTER recording (duh). I'll bet that's it. Thanks!
by Mark Palinkas on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:57 am
Problem solved - Switchback had it correct - the track I recorded was still armed when playing back. You'd think it would be a no-brainer to either tell the user (via the manual) to dis-arm the track(s) during playback or automatically do so when playback is initiated. In any event, the help is much appreciated!
by daveberm on Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:26 pm
Thanks for this. Been a long time user of StudioLive 16.4.2 and Capture 2. Breaking in a StudioLive 16R series iii and Capture 3 and this had me stumped. Was thinking I might have to use my old board for my next gig, but sure enough, the tracks were still armed.

I agree, it seems to make sense to me at least that if you push the digital return button that all the tracks should unarmed as well. I could see myself forgetting on a gig during sound check and making some people really unhappy.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1