StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
The topic of using a patchbay with a Studiolive has been covered and I've read all the forum posts I can find but I haven't seen this discussed. I'm really hoping this is a feasible option, and if anyone has tried it or has the knowledge to know if it will work I'd love to hear from you.

My hypothesis:
I have a 16 channel snake running to all 16 XLR inputs on the SL 16.4.2 Classic
1. Using a DB25 to TRS Splitter going to the top row of a patch bay
2. Connecting the bottom row of the patch bay to the inserts of each respective channel (using TS or TRS cables I'm not sure)

If i then have outboard eq, comps, etc connected to the patch bay, would I be able to patch a direct out from the board through the patchbay, into outboard gear, and back through the insert of the channel on the Studiolive?

ie... mic input on SL-->DB25 Direct Out-->Patchbay Top Row-->Compressor-->Patchbay Bottom Row-->Insert on SL

I am only using the outboard gear to record on the way in. I mix in the box so I wouldn't be sending anything from my computer back to the board.

I hope my question has made sense. In my head it seems plausible but I know the insert on the channels are wired kind of odd so there's probably some electrical mystery that will throw my plan out the window. Any help is greatly appreciated!
by SwitchBack on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:29 pm
Could work, depending on the plug and wiring used for the inserts. Not sure if there’s any advantage in using the DB25 outputs over the output from the inserts...
by caleb.a.wilson3 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm
Mostly just my own ignorance of not knowing exactly how the inserts on the board work.

If I were to just use one of those TRS to TS Y-Cables from the board to the patchbay, that would accomplish the same thing? And I could just multiply that for all 16 channels?

Thanks for the fast response too by the way!
by SwitchBack on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 am
Yes, and use a half-normal patchbay :)
by caleb.a.wilson3 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 am
You're the man, thanks!

5 posts
Page 1 of 1