9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I saved several FX-Chains and I used a / in those names and most presets are fine, but for 2 presets, SO4 changed the / to _ no idea why. I tried to rename those presets, removing the _ and changing it for / but when I click OK, the _ is still there, instead of the /.
I even tried to remove the preset altogether and save a new version of it, but it keeps changing the / to _.
What do I do to get the proper preset names saved?

Cheers!
Maarten
by Lawrence on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 am
It's an invalid character for file names.

The following characters are invalid as file or folder names on Windows using NTFS:
/ ? < > \ : * | " and any character you can type with the Ctrl key
by Demious on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:45 am
I know Windows is a problem when it comes to name coding, but a lot of programs are not, among which SO4. Ive got over a year worth of presets/files coded with my naming-system, using /. Which also means I cant turn things around now, because I simply dont have the time to rename hundreds of existing presets/files.
Since SO4 already showed it has been able to use / so many times already, it wouldnt be logical if it cant for just these 2 presets, especially since SO4 again allowed using / for several presets I saved after these 2...

Cheers!
Maarten
by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:56 am
I used to download a bunch of junk. Flash Renamer is a great tool to have.
It can do a lot of things quick.

https://flash-renamer.windows10compatible.com/

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lawrence on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:49 am
maartenfranken1 wrote Ive got over a year worth of presets/files coded with my naming-system, [using /]

Not on the Windows file system using / in the file name. Some names of some things in Studio One like track names are stored and recalled from xml files, which can be anything.

Windows literally cannot use those characters in file names and any Windows application will (well should, to avoid the inevitable error message) always search and replace those characters in a file name when saving files if a user tries to use them.
by roland1 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:06 am
I'm a Mac guy and when I got my first taste of rejection from the PC for using the "/" character I knew to stay clear of using it in any naming context.

Hyphens and underscores are your friend.

As suggested, I would get a renamer and just find and replace all those "/". On Mac, there are a few good choices; not sure what PC has to offer.

No idea how older song files will reference those old renamed presets though. Maybe that's your concern. A little testing might come in handy.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Lawrence on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:37 am
It's also an invalid character for file names on macOS.
by Demious on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:19 am
Thanks for the info, guys!

Now I got all file names cleaned up and replaced / with _ but how do I get SO4 to use the _ in all FX-chain file names? Its still a mess of both used randomly and I cant change them in SO4 and when I delete the preset and save it again, it still saves with random / and _ even though the file names in the folder all use _

Cheers!
Maarten
by Lawrence on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 am
Your '/' character still remains in the browser listing because it's being stored and recalled via xml, the preset "Title". It simply can't write the "/" character to the literal file name on the file system. See the image below.

The first name in the browser is the preset's xml title value. The second one is the literal file name. Two different things.

preset.png
preset.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
As long as your preferred naming convention with the "/" shows like that in the browser and elsewhere in Studio One, I don't see the issue, unless you're manually browsing presets on the Windows file system for some reason and you want the / there as well (which we already talked about wont happen).

9 posts
Page 1 of 1