18 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm trying to record electric guitar in Studio One, but I'm experiencing some latency issues.

The interface I'm using is Focusrite Clarett 2Pre. When I'm plugged in and listening through my headphones with the monitor button off (the one that looks like a speaker and turns blue when turned on), there's no audible latency. However, once I turn it on the latency is very noticeable.

I've tried optimizing my computer for audio recording by going through nearly all of the steps described in the link below, but to no avail:

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

Does anybody have any ideas about how I can fix this? Any help would be much appreciated.
by IanM5 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:18 am
Check that you are using the Focusrite ASIO drivers and try reducing the buffer size to, say, 128.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by Jemusic on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:40 pm
Put your system specs in your signature. I am assuming you are on a Mac using the thunderbolt connection. I have the same interface on an iMac. It is almost the fastest interface on the planet. I am getting 2mS of round trip latency! Yes 1mS each way!

Turn dropout protection to minimum. You can set a 16 sample buffer would you believe. Switch off Zero Latency monitoring. It's performance is worse than setting DP to minimum.

You should be able to monitor using input monitoring in Studio One and hear literally no perceived delay in any form.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by IanM5 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:10 pm
Going by the link he posted he's using Windows 10.

by Jemusic on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:19 pm
Thanks IanM5 and yes looks like OP is on Windows. First thing I would be doing is checking the round trip latency or get the readings for input and output latency with the lowest buffer settings available. Still set DP to minimum and ensure LLM is off and check those numbers.

I would be interested to see how it compares to the Mac over thunderbolt figures.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by marcelbruijn on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:44 pm
This short article was very helpful for me, and perhaps it helps for your problem:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/studio ... and-mixing

Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 5
iConnectAUDIO4+
My online music:
https://soundcloud.com/officiallyalive
by Jemusic on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:50 pm
I am not sure if the 16 sample buffer setting is possible in Windows but you should at least be able to set that to 32 samples.

What I want to know is what your input and output latencies are with the lowest buffer setting you can set to.

It would be good to know if its as good as the Mac thunderbolt figures. Somehow I suspect maybe not but one never knows.

by henrikgrevstad on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:56 pm
Sorry about this late reply/bump, it's been a busy week.

I found out the Asio drivers weren't even installed :P The latency is now significantly lower. Thank you, IanM5! And thanks to everyone for your input.

The latency, both input and output, is now at 6.55 ms. Would you say that this is acceptable, or should I try out some of the other suggestions made in this thread to get even lower latency?

I'm not experiencing any noticeable "slapback" like I did earlier. I think I'm hearing a very faint chorus-like effect when playing/recording, but it could be that I'm imagining things.
by Jemusic on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:55 pm
henrikgrevstad wroteThe latency, both input and output, is now at 6.55 ms. Would you say that this is acceptable, or should I try out some of the other suggestions made in this thread to get even lower latency

Its not great. I can get less than that with a Scarlett USB interface. My latency over Mac thunderbolt is 1.2 mS each way which is much better. Maybe the Windows thunderbolt concept is not as good as Apple's.

by Tacman7 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm
I doubt he's using thunderbolt. I wanted to get a thunderbolt motherboard but few were available and they were expensive.

Still see very few available, thunderbolt just not for windows I guess.

OP - Did you set your latency by lowering it until you have problems then going with just above that?

Depends on what you're doing also. Some people run different latency's for different tasks.

If you need to track but you have a big song with a lot going on, real easy to export mixdown then open it in a new song and track to that.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by IanM5 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:31 pm
Guys, let's keep it real here. 6.5ms is more than good enough for recording guitar.

@henrikgrevstad, by all means experiment with smaller buffer sizes but what you have will do the job just fine. Suggest you step away from the sound settings and get on with recording that killer guitar track! :thumbup:

by Nip on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 pm
henrikgrevstad wroteThe latency, both input and output, is now at 6.55 ms. Would you say that this is acceptable, or should I try out some of the other suggestions made in this thread to get even lower latency?

You only increase cpu load the lower you go - so I stay where it no longer affect performance itself.

So higher cpu load usually means start freezing/bouncing earlier.

You see at lower left in transport toolbar what StudioOne handles as pdc on top of basic delays in interface - so if doing late recording in the mixing process with plugins in place it may affect a bit too.

I often use Waves L2 limiter on main out which at 48k is 1.3ms extra on top of interface. So disabling L2 and using wrench in top left on arrange view you can ignore pdc while doing recording, if you start getting delays that bother your performance.

Usually for recording you don't need a full mix anyway - just the basic necessities - so turning off pdc while recording is no real problem.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Jemusic on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:49 am
Tacman7 wroteI doubt he's using thunderbolt.

His first post suggests he is using the Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre. This is thunderbolt only!

It's 13 mS all up input and output combined. Remember roundtrip is what you need. Playing a virtual instrument from a keyboard at this latency is starting to feel sloppy.

by Nip on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:58 am
Jemusic wrote
Tacman7 wroteI doubt he's using thunderbolt.

His first post suggests he is using the Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre. This is thunderbolt only!

Here is Clarett 2 Pre USB - so not only thunderbolt
https://focusrite.com/usb-c-audio-inter ... t-2pre-usb

So think it's alright to claim both usb and thunderbolt unless you are aware of both - usb can fall off.

Either way - I think he meant roundtrip is 6.5ms - probably what StudioOne present.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Jemusic on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:56 am
Yes thanks for the correction. The latest range of Clarett USB C interfaces. While they boast the same audio quality as the original Clarett series, they may not offer the same speed as a native Mac thunderbolt connection.

I have finally found a spec on line for the Clarett 2 Pre over USB C that suggests at 64 sample buffer it is just under 5mS round trip. Input and Output latencies would have to be around 2.5 mS for this spec to be realised. That is a pretty decent latency spec.

by henrikgrevstad on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:51 am
I am using the Clarett 2Pre USB, probably should have mentioned that earlier.

If my assumption that roundtrip=input latency+output latency is correct, then the roundtrip is about 13 ms (I'm a complete beginner at this, so I have very limited knowledge about recording terms). Still works for me, at least for recording demos/song sketches. I'm going to get a midi keyboard at some point, though, so any advice on how to get even lower latency would be appreciated.

The device block size/buffer size is set to 128, and the sample rate is set to 44.1. Should I change this?

@IanM5: I'm going to start recording now :)
by Nip on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:27 am
henrikgrevstad wroteThe device block size/buffer size is set to 128, and the sample rate is set to 44.1. Should I change this?

Look in StudioOne settings - it says which roundtrip latency is for audio and what for midi to instrument approx so one way midi and one way audio..

Since StudioOne use one extra buffer for processing apart from asio buffer - try and lower to 64 samples buffer. What else is delay in AD and DA converters which is not neglectable(30-40 samples or so) - but part of what StudioOne tells in settings.

by Jemusic on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:07 pm
Yes try a 64 buffer setting for sure. It may reduce your latency slightly. The idea is to keep the buffers reasonably low while tracking. Especially if you are monitoring through software and maybe using plugins on the way in which you can do in Studio One.

Midi latency is fast. 1 mS for a note on. So on an instrument track you might only have 1 mS or so on the way in but the output latency will determine how was fast a virtual synth is going to respond. 4-5 mS or so here would be fine. This latency would also be fine for tracking something live and monitoring it. When dry and delayed signals are heard together, some tight delay or flanging like effects can result.

You can always ignore DAW latency anyway by monitoring with zero latency through the Focusrite Control software. Understand and use Focusrite Control to advantage. You can route signals from inputs to outputs etc.. You could record say vocals and guitar to a click in Studio One and hear all that with no latency, then playback and overdub easily etc..

18 posts
Page 1 of 1