9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is there a way to have more than one wave file play on a single track.

I remember one time I accidentally dragged / moved a file from one track to another, the track that I dragged on top of the other file became transparent and you could see the wav file below .When I played the song I could hear both files playing.

I think it was in S1 v3 but disappeared in a service update. Does any one know if it can be done in S1 v4
by Jemusic on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:55 pm
Yes you can do this in 4.5 too. Over in the main track inspector just tick Play Overlaps When you drag a wave file over the top of another, the one underneath is still visible and you will hear both.

You can even drag a mono track over the top of a stereo track and still hear both.

You don't have a lot of control other than the audio event gain handles. Fades In and OUT still all function. You can still select the overlapping files individually though in the 3rd lower window of the inspector. Event FX can be applied individually to each of the overlapping files.

The only thing is if the two files are exactly the same length and are sitting right on top of each other, they both still play fine but you may have to move them around a bit or temporarily resize in order to get to the gain handles underneath etc. If however they are not the same length, simply clicking on one them brings it into focus up front while the other goes behind in grey but still visible and audible. Very cool.

I even dragged 4 wave files all over the top of each other and they all played!!

Thanks for bringing this up because I would never have really done this until I saw your post and it got me thinking and experimenting.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 am
I do it all the time. Worked in S1 as long as I can remember.

You'll likely want to start with a new audio track for reasons of the audio clip having the proper naming as it will also reside in the audio pool. But dragging audio clips around isn't ever a problem. If necessary, you can rename the audio event as well.

Play overlaps is the way to go to hear overlays.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by leosutherland on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 am
Erm, this may be a dumb question (probably is :roll: ) t why would you want 2 or more audio clips sitting on top of each other (even if they do all correctly sound). Why wouldn't you have each audo clip on a separate track? :?

Or have I completely missed the point? :oops:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Lokeyfly on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 am
leosutherland wroteErm, this may be a dumb question (probably is :roll: ) t why would you want 2 or more audio clips sitting on top of each other (even if they do all correctly sound). Why wouldn't you have each audo clip on a separate track? :?

Or have I completely missed the point? :oops:

Not a dumb question. Typically, you'd keep different takes or recordings on seperate tracks. 90%, that will always be the case. Track counts can needlessly get a little high with today's DAW's (barring some people's insatiable need to say they use over 100 tracks :| ). To the point, to keep tracks relatively light like under 30 stereo (which in a studio with tape, would be under 60 mono tracks), let's say you were working on an instrumental or vocal part that required numerous takes at different sections like in 8 bar increments. It's a lot easier to create those takes on one track. Problem is, to avoid sections from running into, or being noticablel split points, having the ability to hear both layers is very useful. Perhaps a Cross fade doesn't yield the right results, or you wish to avoid doing this on two tracks, visually overlapping (which is the way I like to multi layer).

So the beauty is having the option to do so. Also having the layers on one track, then bouncing the track might be beneficial for someone stemming out those takes because they don't want the Multiple takes to be relocated when they get the song back.

You get the idea. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lawrence on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:59 am
It really only needs one thing to be - extremely - useful... lanes on the main track layer where you could more easily edit each event.

If you could separate overlapping clips out into lanes on the main layer (like Reaper) you could have (as an example) 8 background vocal clips mixed on a single track, reducing the track count, and essentially making that stereo audio track a bus. Everything else necessary is already there.... Event FX. Well, almost. Event FX automation would finish it off.

The current issue trying to do that is having to continually move the events up top to edit them, so currently it's just easier to use separate tracks.
by leosutherland on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 am
One more bit of learning I've had to cram into my poor brain :reading:

Thanks for de-dumbing my query :thumbup:

Only just (last night) tried a bit of recording takes to layers - bit of a disaster, but that entirety mine own fault - the important question is, will I learn from that? :D

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Lokeyfly on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:17 pm
Lawrence wroteIt really only needs one thing to be - extremely - useful... lanes on the main track layer where you could more easily edit each event.

All great points. Quoting this one in particular because it really resonates that working from a single track is also just easier (in a number of ways) if there's further note editing along the way. Sure, one could bus, to a new track, then edit that for example with Melodyne or transient bending, etc. But streamlining tracks somewhat down, and not up has many benefits. The advantages become more apparent when automating less rather than more tracks, because you have a more linear way of mixing and seeing levels, rather than a bunch of fragmented parts with their own automation. In the end your ears are what matter, but it's sort of like not having your ties in 12 different closets.

Both , small, and large track counts work. However, it's practical, keep Robbies bass guitar, with Robbies bass guitar. 4 vocal harmonies with 4 vocal harmonies, and not broken down to each seperate take located on 9 different tracks. Of course seperate effect sends, and different treatments will also dictate changes, but practicality does account for something. Bussing is an alternative so it's whatever floats your boat. If you edit a lot, it's likely best to consolidate same type tracks.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by IanM5 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:39 pm
Lokeyfly wrote
Lawrence wroteIt really only needs one thing to be - extremely - useful... lanes on the main track layer where you could more easily edit each event.

All great points. Quoting this one in particular because it really resonates that working from a single track is also just easier (in a number of ways) if there's further note editing along the way. Sure, one could bus, to a new track, then edit that for example with Melodyne or transient bending, etc. But streamlining tracks somewhat down, and not up has many benefits. The advantages become more apparent when automating less rather than more tracks, because you have a more linear way of mixing and seeing levels, rather than a bunch of fragmented parts with their own automation. In the end your ears are what matter, but it's sort of like not having your ties in 12 different closets.

Both , small, and large track counts work. However, it's practical, keep Robbies bass guitar, with Robbies bass guitar. 4 vocal harmonies with 4 vocal harmonies, and not broken down to each seperate take located on 9 different tracks. Of course seperate effect sends, and different treatments will also dictate changes, but practicality does account for something. Bussing is an alternative so it's whatever floats your boat. If you edit a lot, it's likely best to consolidate same type tracks.

Folders. I like 'em, especially when you use the setting that folds the mixer channels too. :+1

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum

9 posts
Page 1 of 1