7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am thinking of purchasing a used Firestudio Project. I'll be using studio one 2 (because the old macbook pro wont upgrade OS enough for StudioOne4). I've been searching for a tutorial to show how to get more than 8 tracks while using only one firestudio project. Cant find it. Does that mean it cant be done?

To be clear the process would be record 8 tracks, then add more. So basically im asking, after tracks 1-8 are recorded, can i reassign the FSP inputs to tracks 9-16 and continue merrily on my way.

Remember, all im going to be using is the single Firestudio Project, the computer and studioone2. Can i do this, and if so, can you point me to a tutorial or two?
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 am
To be clear the process would be record 8 tracks, then add more. So basically im asking, after tracks 1-8 are recorded, can i reassign the FSP inputs to tracks 9-16 and continue merrily on my way.

That's exactly what you do. Rinse/repeat until the song is done.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by mbreese on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 am
OK. Thanks. You are saying that it can be done.
Know of any specific tutorial videos about firestudio project? Just want a look to before I lay out the $$.
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 am
No specific tutorials that I am aware of. My first interface was a Firestudio Tube, which still works.

Connecting it is more about your PC, than it is about the unit. If you have specific questions, maybe just ask them here so we can get you sorted out. What are the specific scenarios you wanted to see in a video?

Matt

S1Pro V5
by mbreese on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:32 pm
I guess just building up a song as one exceeds the channels on the FSP.
I'm wondering what will happen with playback sends when you start getting above 8 tracks. Will there be a latency issue (because monitoring wont happen in the unit itself then I suspect). Will i have to bounce tracks (like on my old 4 track cassette recorder back in the day) to keep to the 8 tracks to avoid that potential issue. Not to mention just how reassign to the new tracks in studio one. I have only ever used a studio live 16.4.2 and never went over the 16. So you just pick the preset in studio one and off you go.

And it's been several years since I did any recording at all. No my son is working on a concept album (smiling as I say that) that he is going to try to record in an old train tunnel. Gonna involve generators and a bunch of silly stuff (I say just load on the reverb, but only the tunnel will do). So, everything has to be compact and easy to do on the fly. I think this is the answer equipment wise, and cost wise (as I said it's used).

I guess that is a really long way of saying, seeing some videos of people using the FSP with studio one and going over 8 tracks and how one does that would be really helpful.... to know if I have gone in the right direction.
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 pm
First, can the PC you are planning to use connect to a firewire device? It may not be a simple plug and play situation, so before any money is spent you will want to know that the device will work with your pc. Folks here can help, so post that information.

Once a track is recorded, it becomes an audio event on the timeline. Through recording, you add tracks to that timeline. Its as simple as recording a second guitar track by creating a new track/channel in the software for the gtr. Then select the input that the source for that gtr is plugged in to, then set the channel to record.

You won't have to bounce tracks down like the old days. S1, as well as most modern daws, has no track count limits. However you are sort of correct that latency can creep in. That is more of an indicator of what the PC can handle, not the interface or the software. I mainly record audio, and have had songs run upwards of 60 tracks (I double mic gtrs a lot), and my pc or system has no problem running that type of project. You don't need a 1:1 ratio of channels to outputs, so output monitoring is also pretty simple, and channels can be sent to multiple or the same outputs, depending on the task at hand. In the video library, look at the Studio One videos to get an idea of how >8 tracks are handled.

One question I have for you: have you mapped out the project for the number of inputs/outputs you need, and are you sure the FSP provides that? I work mainly with 4 pc bands, and the drum kits are usually 4 pc kits. With everything close miced for the kit, you need a minimum of 7 inputs to record the kit. How would you record the ambiance of the tunnel, all the drums, and reference tracks for other instruments and vox? My average basic tracking session for a 4 pc band is 14-16 tracks. Are you sure you are covered input wise?

Matt

S1Pro V5
by mbreese on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:56 pm
I'm using a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard (10.6. 8? I think-- not with me at the moment). It is the mac i used with studio one 2, and StudioLive 16.4.2 before and never had issues with firewire... unles the FSP needs a different chipset. Didn't think to check that. It's a mac so, well, you know, you assume it will work. I'll check.

Everything I used to do was so straight forward with Studio live and Studio one. totally loved it. I got out of video and audio just at the very beginnings of everything going digital. when I had to step back in for a while around 2010, I stumbled upon StudioOne and then and was like, wow, I can just use this. It was so intuitive and simple especially with presonus hardware like studiolive. But like I said, I never needed more than 16 tracks.

And totally I am wishing we could drag a 24 channel or so board with a dozen mics. But I am really trying to help him do this on the cheap. Initially he was actually oigng to drag out my old 4 track cassette recorder, throw up mics and hope for the best. Plus it worked on batteries! And of course i couldn't leave well enough alone.

And, since you asked if I had mapped it all out, when I stuck my nose in I suggested he should really also mic everything really close so he would have some control in post. Now I'm kind of sucked in. so here is what I came up with.

As far as my son has described the tracks for this "concept album" (man, can't keep from giggling as I type that. Guess he took my old Jethro Tull albums too much to heart), there will be no drums, just bongos and shakers. So:

we will run a generator outside and above the tunnel and be about 150 ft inside hoping that will take care of sound of the machine. total power run will be about 250 ft.

2 guitars with battery powered amps, - mic to be close! on amps
1 bass (no batter amp so offer generator) - again mic close! on amp
2 mics for bongos (shakers will be later tracks) - its a set of 4. will just mic close as we can
1 mic for vocal, but put through a keyboard amp (again not battery, so generator) and also run a line out from amp into the interface.

that leaves 2 mics to place as open mics in the tunnel to get the right echo and reverb. My thought is to put one at about 20 feet from the whole set up, the second about an additional 50 feet away. But there will have to obviously be some trial and error on placement to get the reverb and echo he is hoping for.

There are two rhythm guitar parts, so they will be in the first pass. the second set of tracks will be:

Lead guitar - 1 mic on amp
backup vocals and clapping 2 mics
shakers (by bongo set up) 2 mics
and a hammer hitting the train track (which I am going to convince him to just get a really good take of one hit, and use over and over as needed) 1 mic
Plus the two open mics still in place.

And we nneed to play it all back into a headphone amp (still looking for that).

I know we could do all these other bits one at a time, but, it's cold, and damp, and dark in there. Guitars will go out of tune. They will mess up. And they want to do 2 or three of the songs in the tunnel. I think we will be lucky to get one completed in a full day. But they are pretty good, so you never know.

That is why I just want it to be easy to do. Maybe set it all up in advance on studio one. don't want to mess with the computer more than I have to. Just want to get levels right and have them be able to play their best. and I need more than 8 tracks.

I have a budge of $200 for stuff. i have begged and have promises of enough mics and cables. Still have to find the generator. might have to by a used headphone DA. And I have to get the interface. I found this FSP pretty cheap. just wanted to be sure it would work

That's my story!

Thanks for the information. From what I hear you saying, the FSP will work for this. I just need to spend time and look at some studio one videos, which I suppose I should have thought of. Then again, I first started doing this stuff way back I was still cutting tape with razor blades.

Thanks again!!! I'll let you know how the 'concept album' (oh boy) truns out.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1