12 posts
Page 1 of 1
How do I stop SO4 from keeping deleted files on disk? Its getting really annoying to go into the menus to remove unused files every time I delete a recording and when I forget one, having to rename all files recorded after that point to clean up the mess

Cheers!
Maarten
by lawrencefarr on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am
Use the "Delete Permanently" option when removing unused files to throw them in the system trash.

*** Be very careful with that option, look over the unused files list and paths first. It will literally move your third party samples to the trash if they're not in soundsets or something and are "unused" in the song and sourced directly.***

Studio One Technical Support | QA
------------------------------------------------
Issue Reporting Add-On - Version 4.3.0
Kontakt 6 | MOTU Mach 5 | Spitfire BBCSO Core & Albion One | Cinematic Studio Solo Strings | Vienna Synchron Prime | Cinesamples Musio | NI Session Horns Pro | Toontrack EZ Drummer, EZ Bass,& EZ Keys | Relab LX480 Complete | Soundtoys Little Plate & Echoboy
by mikemanthei on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Re; *** Be very careful with that option
I can vouch for that. When I first started using Studio One I setup a template that accidentally had some files in the pool from an earlier song. Then I created a few more songs using that template. The problem was, that every new song had pointers to those audio files from song number one.

When I decided to do cleanup, it erased my audio files from the first song. Thankfully I had a backup.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Demious on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm
@PreSonusupt4 That is what I do when I manually delete unused files, what Im looking for is a way to not having to do it manually, every time.

@Mikemanthei I noticed SO can be a bit tricky with keeping items in its memory, indeed. But Ive been using SO for almost a year now and Im starting to get the hang of it. I almost tamed the shrue :P

Cheers!
Maarten
by Tacman7 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm
After I comp a track I bounce the results then edit in Melodyne then bounce that to get rid of Melodyne.
I then delete all the layers with the takes in them.

In the pool I use delete unused command with the checkbox for permanent delete, so one command got rid of the whole mess, All the takes and all the bounces.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by lawrencefarr on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 pm
maartenfranken1 wrote@PreSonusupt4 That is what I do when I manually delete unused files, what Im looking for is a way to not having to do it manually, every time.

I understand. Given the critical nature of audio recordings in professional audio situations I doubt that you'll find that anywhere. Putting something like that on automatic pilot is a recipe for disaster.

In that light, that kind of critical housekeeping should always be manual.

Studio One Technical Support | QA
Issue Reporting Add-On - Version 4.3.0
Kontakt 6 | MOTU Mach 5 | Spitfire BBCSO Core & Albion One | Cinematic Studio Solo Strings | Vienna Synchron Prime | Cinesamples Musio | NI Session Horns Pro | Toontrack EZ Drummer, EZ Bass,& EZ Keys | Relab LX480 Complete | Soundtoys Little Plate & Echoboy
by Lokeyfly on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:37 am
PreSonuSupt4 wrote: I understand. Given the critical nature of audio recordings in professional audio situations I doubt that you'll find that anywhere. Putting something like that on automatic pilot is a recipe for disaster.

In that light, that kind of critical housekeeping should always be manual

@maartenfranken1: Just echoing that statement. It's really true! I know it's not the answer one wants for an automated solution, but it really is a fundamental step when recording. Based on most any lessons given in a recording environment. Delete files at the time you remember what the bad takes are. If in doubt, save it but note it on a track sheet (your track/song/channel notes), or just know you kept it because you felt you needed to keep it.

Another quick and dirty is in an attempt to get the right takes fast in the moment of inspiration (nobody likes to interrupt that!), is with bad takes, simply move them far to the right of the song. Bang, try again. During the same day, like later in the session, go to the right, choose "select in pool" if you're not sure, and permanently delete then.

I've seen grown men with their face in their hands say "why did I do that" with such important moments of that "magical take", get dissolved. Not a pretty sight. Do the due dillagence and manually remove, when you know it's worth.

If you're completely at ease with the whole song and wish to take only your actual stuff with you, then select "save to new folder" . That will pack only the required song details you need. Sort of a "Pack and go" that we Autodesk Inventor users utilize. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Demious on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am
Thanks for your input, guys!
I do understand why the option is there and I understand why most people will use it. But in my experience, it takes me 20-30mins, worst case scenario, to get back what I lost, while renaming 100 files will cost me half a day.
But its not just that. Moving one hand over the stop and backspace, or ctrl-Z is an automatic response and goes so fast I stay fully focussed, but going into the menu and having to look over the list, aim the mouse to click the function and a second time to check the checkbox, then click okay wil, without a doubt, break my concentration. When I can stay focussed on playing, I will mostly do that perfect take again without thinking, if I have to break my concentration and have to find my focus back Im having a much bigger problem. :P
In my opinion its a personal preference, depending on various personal factors and concidering I have autism and adhd, anything that breaks my concentration is always the worst option. ;)

Cheers!
Maarten
by Lokeyfly on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:49 am
maartenfranken1 wrote: i do understand why the option is there and I understand why most people will use it. But in my experience, it takes me 20-30mins, worst case scenario, to get back what I lost, while renaming 100 files will cost me half a day.

Sounds like your experience is in need of improvent (in a good way ;) ). Renaming files isn't necessary, so that's on you to not set a track name right from the start. A fundamental no-no. ANY workshop, audio class, or any institution worth its reputation will spend a whole chapter on the importance of track naming right from the start, before you record. The process works.

maartenfranken1 wrote: ....... going into the menu and having to look over the list, aim the mouse to click the function and a second time to check the checkbox, then click okay wil, without a doubt, break my concentration.

You don't have to look over any list. I mentioned. "Select in pool" highlights the file(s) for you. If you move those bad takes out of the way, you could highlight them with one pass, click to select in pool, then globally remove.

..........when I can stay focussed on playing, I will mostly do that perfect take again without thinking, if I have to break my concentration and have to find my focus back Im having a much bigger problem.

Already mentioned a speedy workaround.  You simply drag the event out of the way, and deal with those bad takes at a later time.to not break up flow. Sorry, but you're either not reading a few points made, or something. Control Z while universal does nothing further automatically which even if it could, might be a recipe for permanent loss.

Hey, we understand your wanting automatic record delete, Create an FR, or likely there is already one in place. Just mho, but proper workflow from the start would also speed up your tracking sessions.
Cheers. :)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Nip on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:37 am
Seems this topic tells there is a demand for better automatic naming template for tracks, event and layers.
Reaper has naming conventions like that for files on disk as well as.

This means that renaming later will be less in demand if right from start for anybody to get organized to own preferences..

If we then get key commands for macros to compile to own needs even better. So batch renaming later is a breeze.

May I promote this feature request
https://answers.presonus.com/40940/opti ... 940#q40940

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by tovokas on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:30 pm
I get it that an ‘abort/restart’ mechanism that permanently deletes a take and restarts the recording process just goes against the S1 vibe of making it as difficult as possible to irreversibly delete anything (to avoid accidental, but very real, disasters). But a nice compromise would be a mechanism (triggered by a macro?) that would flag or name-append bad takes in a way that would make cleaning them up easier.

It really does give me the heebie-jeebies to see the pool filling up with one vaguely named take after another. It does create maintenance headaches I would sooner avoid.

M1 Mac Studio 32 Gigs/ i7 Windows
Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Tascam Model 12/Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Studio One 6.5 (Sphere) / Waveform 12.5
Plugins: Plugin Alliance, IK Multimedia,
Komplete 14, PSP
by Nip on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 am
tovokas wroteBut a nice compromise would be a mechanism (triggered by a macro?) that would flag or name-append bad takes in a way that would make cleaning them up easier.

One thing I discovered about layers/takes by accident - double click on a layer/take and a copy of it is replacing what is on track active layer.

Big advantage is that layers does not change order while activating them.
It's when activating takes in the usuall system where naming become crucial - since swapping around takes soon make you loose order of things in the list, especially if not loop recording.

If takes to layers is active - each stop recording puts a copy down in layers as well apart from being active on track. So ready to be used with double click on layers instead. But be careful, it's only undo that can fix it if no copy of current active layer in list, as I discovered.

This is the way I will do all comping where full clips with takes are involved. Soloing layers is good of course, being non-destructive, but double click is then keeping everything as it is in layers list.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***

12 posts
Page 1 of 1