Share your songs!
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
this is my last mix on this one, as i wrap up final mixes on 8 new tunes for a new album.
looking for how this translates on your playback,
particularly, if the kick and bass guitar are coming across good.

tnx.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7up1pyhoqok8 ... q.wav?dl=0

Bats Brew music Streaming
https://batsbrew.bandcamp.com/
Studio One 5.2, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core, MSI B250M, 16G, SSD & spinner
by scottyo7 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:47 pm
Hmm, I think it's fine in the bass areas. ;)
Mixing and Mastering is subjective but to me the sparkle of the cymbals, crunch of the guitars and snap of the snare all sound dull. :roll:
I compared your song here to some of my stuff, Joe Satriani and Shinedown.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by robertgilliland1 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:03 pm
hey thanks scotty...
you know, i had a bunch of high end on all that stuff you mention (i NEVER want a ME to add high end for crispiness, it should be right in the mix, always!)
and i thought it sounded fatiguing,
so i mellowed it out a bit.
i suppose if you are only listening to one song at a time,
it makes sense to make it bright,
but i'm worried that in an album setting (that IS the intention of these 8 songs i've just finished) that it might wear the ears out, if it's on 'stun' on every tune.

it would very easy to add a bit of high end, for sure, to the overheads, and the guitars in general...
i'll play with that a bit.

Studio One 5.2, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core, MSI B250M, 16G, SSD & spinner
by Bbd on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:15 pm
Kick and bass are OK.
Kick could be more pointed like up 1 db and then use HPF 35hz.
Bass lows are good but low mids are a touch shy IMO. Like +2 1K (can't believe I wrote that).
Cymbals and toms need to come up.
Overall good mix.

Have you ever run your mix thru Ozone to see what it would recommend?
I just finished a mix and the only thing it told me was my 200hz needed +2. I was happy with that.
Not to say to use it soley but just as another opinion.

Your mids on the vocal seem a little boxy but that's not the right word and it's just a little that way.
Lastly, what would it sound like with +1.5 at 120hz on the rhythm guitars to add fullness and body?

That's all I got.
Best of luck with your album!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by sirmonkey on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:17 pm
Sounds awesome :punk: :punk: I can not quibble with a single thing.
Just for everyone's reference, I listened on my tiny Alesis 3 monitors, and my Audio Technica ATHM30-X headphones, and any mix sounds a lot different between those 2 things.
It really sounded great when I listened both ways.
I especially liked what you did with the vocals at 2:25 to2:37. That is so well done, as is the whole song and mix.
P.S. Vocally, you're giving Bruce Dickinson a real run for the money!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by robertgilliland1 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 am
guys,
not a 're mix', but a quick EQ to see if i'm going in the right direction with the top end:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuks1u56mkke6 ... 5.wav?dl=0

by sirmonkey on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:35 am
I opened both versions and listened to 5-10 second segments of each one (pretty close to A/B-ing) on my headphones.
The latest is definitely crisper in the top end to me. It sounds even a little better, momentarily.
But for me, if I listened to it louder for more than a brief period, my ears would "adjust", or get fatigued...
and that extra top end sheen would wear off.
So, my "vote" is for the first one. As always, that's just me. Sounds great either way!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by robertgilliland1 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 pm
Bbd wroteKick and bass are OK.
Kick could be more pointed like up 1 db and then use HPF 35hz.
Bass lows are good but low mids are a touch shy IMO. Like +2 1K (can't believe I wrote that).
Cymbals and toms need to come up.
Overall good mix.

Have you ever run your mix thru Ozone to see what it would recommend?
I just finished a mix and the only thing it told me was my 200hz needed +2. I was happy with that.
Not to say to use it soley but just as another opinion.

Your mids on the vocal seem a little boxy but that's not the right word and it's just a little that way.
Lastly, what would it sound like with +1.5 at 120hz on the rhythm guitars to add fullness and body?

That's all I got.
Best of luck with your album!

hey bbd, thanks for the detailed listen.
i'll tweak drums, that is pretty easy.
knowing what to focus on, helps me hunt it down.

i do not use Ozone, but i do use Har Bal.

i think the boxy quality of the vocals is due to the fact that i ran the vox thru a tube preamp set on "Stun".......... LOL
and again, i can tweak that to get rid of something around 450hz, carve out a bit of the box.

i have a HPF on the guitars, starting abouit 80hz, but haven't boosted anything,
i'll try playing with that too!

by robertgilliland1 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:05 pm
sirmonkey wroteSounds awesome :punk: :punk: I can not quibble with a single thing.
Just for everyone's reference, I listened on my tiny Alesis 3 monitors, and my Audio Technica ATHM30-X headphones, and any mix sounds a lot different between those 2 things.
It really sounded great when I listened both ways.
I especially liked what you did with the vocals at 2:25 to2:37. That is so well done, as is the whole song and mix.
P.S. Vocally, you're giving Bruce Dickinson a real run for the money!

hey monkey,
great to know it's translating between those two sets,
that's about as good as i can get it for a big compromise for smaller systems.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1