12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I added a 250Gb SSD to my Mac mini so Im wondering what's the best way to utilise this for S1.

My computer skills are limited so...a step by step guide would be useful pleeeease ;-)

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by SwitchBack on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:39 pm
Assuming your Mac mini had a disk drive I'd say use the Migration Assistant to move everything (including OSX and S1) from the old disk drive to the ssd. Then set the ssd as your boot disk, wipe the old drive clean and use that drive for S1 song/project storage. YMMV. :)
by timmorris on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 pm
Ok thanks,,,I’ll look into that .

The Mac had a 1Tb drive which is still in there , the SSD addition is 250G.

SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by roland1 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:55 pm
Yes, whatever you do, make sure the SSD is used for operating the system. That's where you'll get the most significant speed gains, including with startup, etc.

Ideally, you'd get another external or internal SSD and run all your samples off that. But you don't have to.

Presonus just put out a pdf manual for 4.52 so you should download that. It's WAY better than using the native manual through the help menu.

Good luck. And when you're rich and famous, remember who told you to get the 2nd SSD! :D

timmorris wroteOk thanks,,,I’ll look into that .

The Mac had a 1Tb drive which is still in there , the SSD addition is 250G.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by timmorris on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:49 am
Ok cool....I have 2 other external seagate drives , I could use one of those ?

The other issue is that my current 1Tb on board drive has about 50% used, the internal SSD is 250G...so should I just move the OS ?

by SwitchBack on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 am
My guess is that 75% of those 50% is your songs, music, videos etc. Keep those on the harddrive and move everything else (that’s including S1 and plugins).
by timmorris on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:28 am
Ok, should I need to reformat the SSD first?

I tired Migration assist but it just kept searching for drives and found nothing?

Should I just copy across the OS then S1 and Plugs?

by SwitchBack on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm
Yes, it’s likely the ssd needs formatting before you can use it for Mac.
by timmorris on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:08 pm
Ok...so Ive got S1 onto the new SSD and it loads and works super fast....but ...I can't find all of my other VST;s ..Waves , Shepps Omni etc ...Ive pointed to where I think they are but no joy..?

by frank.crow on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:42 pm
So you’ve noticed a significant difference? I ask because I have a Mac Mini with a fusion drive which if I understand correctly is basically what you just created. The fusion portion is I believe basically 250 GB of SSD that intelligently moves my most used functions to the fusion drive. I recently bought an SSD external to move my libraries to. I want to say it was an improvement but I’m not 100% sure. I eventually purchased Kontakt 12 Ultimate and it pushed me over my storage capacity so I had to move the libraries over to my LaCie USB 3. I honestly don’t notice a significant difference. I’m guessing it should be way slower than the SSD but I don’t think so.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by timmorris on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:38 pm
Hi ..well yes....it wasn’t super slow anyway ..but the SSD has improved boot up time significantly and S1 definitively operates much faster ...

It will be good see how it affect the VSt stuff....when I can find them !

by SwitchBack on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm
timmorris wroteOk...so Ive got S1 onto the new SSD and it loads and works super fast....but ...I can't find all of my other VST;s ..Waves , Shepps Omni etc ...Ive pointed to where I think they are but no joy..?

Is everything except material like songs and music moved to the SSD now?

If so then you can try swapping the names of the two drives with Disk Utility: simply select the name next to the pictograph and typ over it. That may save you having to chase down every file reference that includes the disk name. At least rename your HDD to prevent apps from looking in the familiar place first.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1