33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
roland1 wroteHi Scottyo7. The issue I'm having with the Faderport is in regards to record arming instrument (MIDI or whatever they're called in Studio One) tracks. So it's not with audio tracks, just with tracks that are using a virtual instrument to play note events, data, parts, whatever.

When I try to record arm a single instrument track, it arms all the tracks that are sharing that instrument plugin. When I click to record arm using a mouse, this does not happen. So it's something that the Faderport is doing when it focuses on that track.

Hi Roland,
OK, I think I got it... "Instrument"... not "Audio" tracks.
What do you mean by "sharing"... maybe this is what isn't clear to me?

If I put the same Instrument on 3 separate tracks next to each other (i.e. 15, 16, 17) and then select a unique sound within the Instrument on each of the 3 tracks, your described issue does NOT happen.

The only way it will record is if a track is armed right? I only arm a single track (17) then press "Record" on the Faderport and only track 17 starts recording. If I'm still not understanding you, then I concede to someone else's answer. ;)

Scott

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by roland1 on Sat May 18, 2019 12:15 pm
First of all, thanks for your efforts. Many others would have said "Someone's at the door, I have to go." :D

What I'm trying to verify is whether record activating ONE instrument track will activate ALL instrument tracks if they share THE SAME output instrument.

So first, create 3 separate instrument/MIDI note tracks.

Then drag Presence onto one track and choose "trombone" as the sound.

Then, go to the other two tracks and apply that same instrument to them as well via the drop down output select field; they should now all share the same Presence VSTi with the "trombone" sound.

Now select the first instrument track via your fader port <- -> arrows, and then you press "REC" button: DO THE OTHER TRACKS ALSO ARM FOR RECORDING?

That's the essence of what I'm trying to figure out. In my case, because I have several instrument tracks using the same SSD5 virtual drum plugin, I discovered that by using the Faderport classic to arm one track, that all of them would suddenly be armed.

This does not happen though when clicking the record activation button on that track with a mouse.

scottyo7 wrote
roland1 wroteHi Scottyo7. The issue I'm having with the Faderport is in regards to record arming instrument (MIDI or whatever they're called in Studio One) tracks. So it's not with audio tracks, just with tracks that are using a virtual instrument to play note events, data, parts, whatever.

When I try to record arm a single instrument track, it arms all the tracks that are sharing that instrument plugin. When I click to record arm using a mouse, this does not happen. So it's something that the Faderport is doing when it focuses on that track.

Hi Roland,
OK, I think I got it... "Instrument"... not "Audio" tracks.
What do you mean by "sharing"... maybe this is what isn't clear to me?

If I put the same Instrument on 3 separate tracks next to each other (i.e. 15, 16, 17) and then select a unique sound within the Instrument on each of the 3 tracks, your described issue does NOT happen.

The only way it will record is if a track is armed right? I only arm a single track (17) then press "Record" on the Faderport and only track 17 starts recording. If I'm still not understanding you, then I concede to someone else's answer. ;)

Scott

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by j0001s on Sat May 18, 2019 1:41 pm
I can confirm 2. Multiple tracks sharing an instrument will all arm/disarm together from Faderport.

But, it's weirder than that. If you have an instrument track with the instrument assigned to "None", and use Rec from the Faderport, it will arm that "None" track AND the last audio track you had selected.
by roland1 on Sat May 18, 2019 4:20 pm
Thanks j0001s.

This is within the expected range of behavior when taking LSD. :D

j0001s wroteI can confirm 2. Multiple tracks sharing an instrument will all arm/disarm together from Faderport.

But, it's weirder than that. If you have an instrument track with the instrument assigned to "None", and use Rec from the Faderport, it will arm that "None" track AND the last audio track you had selected.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by j0001s on Sat May 18, 2019 4:26 pm
roland1 wroteThis is within the expected range of behavior when taking LSD. :D

Loud Snare Drum? Lousy Singing Divas? Loading Song Data? (I can do this all day. Sorry...)
by roland1 on Sat May 18, 2019 4:27 pm
Before the days of Twitter abbreviations. :)

j0001s wrote
roland1 wroteThis is within the expected range of behavior when taking LSD. :D

Loud Snare Drum? Lousy Singing Divas? Loading Song Data? (I can do this all day. Sorry...)

by roland1 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Update on issue #3 - Clicking on a MIDI note event in my PC.

I noticed yesterday that when I click on the end of a MIDI note event and only when the trim tool is showing, can I get MIDI notes to audition consistently or "sound back."

Otherwise, when I'm just using the pointer/arrow tool to click in the middle of a note, I get inconsistent audition playback; sometimes the note sounds normal, full and loud, other times it sounds like I'm getting a really quiet layer of that sampled instrument playing back, or there is a long delay before the sampled instrument sounds back.

So to reiterate, clicking on the center of the note w/arrow = inconsistent audition playback.
Clicking on the left or right edge of the note event with the trim tool visible = consistent playback.

Huh?

by warddejager on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 am
roland1 wroteUpdate on issue #3 - Clicking on a MIDI note event in my PC.

I noticed yesterday that when I click on the end of a MIDI note event and only when the trim tool is showing, can I get MIDI notes to audition consistently or "sound back."

Otherwise, when I'm just using the pointer/arrow tool to click in the middle of a note, I get inconsistent audition playback; sometimes the note sounds normal, full and loud, other times it sounds like I'm getting a really quiet layer of that sampled instrument playing back, or there is a long delay before the sampled instrument sounds back.

So to reiterate, clicking on the center of the note w/arrow = inconsistent audition playback.
Clicking on the left or right edge of the note event with the trim tool visible = consistent playback.

Huh?

Does this happen only with presence xt , or also with other instruments ?
What about midi out-->hardware ( if you have any ) , does it audition as expected ?
This really seems like a weird bug

I found some stuff which could be related to your issue , if you select the arrow tool and keep the note pressed down , the audition last for about 200 to 500 ms
But when the pencil tool is selected + hold ctrl , the audition lasts as long as you hold the note

Intel I5 second gen , 16 gig ram , amd radeon , win 10

Soft :renoise , studio one pro , reaktor 6 , talmod , vallhalla , toneboosters , loomer architect , Klanghelm ,audio realism
Hard : clavia Nord modular g1 , Roland integra , yamaha A5000 , kenton control freak , Senheisser k6/me66 , beyerdynamic dt880
by roland1 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 am
Thanks for your reply.

This happens with any kind of virtual instrument in Studio One on my PC. Again, it does not happen on my MAC.

So the "wild card" that allows notes to audition normally is where I decide to click the note along its horizontal axis. On both ends, it works. In the middle, it doesn't. Or it delays.

I don't think this has anything to do with hardware because the mouse icon switching to the trim tool seems to be what "solves" the problem. Very strange. Illogical in fact.

Also, I have nothing connected via MIDI output. Only input. And that gear is off.

warddejager wroteDoes this happen only with presence xt , or also with other instruments ?
What about midi out-->hardware ( if you have any ) , does it audition as expected ?
This really seems like a weird bug

I found some stuff which could be related to your issue , if you select the arrow tool and keep the note pressed down , the audition last for about 200 to 500 ms
But when the pencil tool is selected + hold ctrl , the audition lasts as long as you hold the note

by warddejager on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 am
If your mouse pointer (arrow ) is selected and you select a note (so it's highlighted ) , when you then click it again in the midle it will take some time for the audition to happen , this happens over here bleep well , but it will always audition over here
Clicking on the side it becomes instantanious and clicking another note , audition is also instant

Soft :renoise , studio one pro , reaktor 6 , talmod , vallhalla , toneboosters , loomer architect , Klanghelm ,audio realism
Hard : clavia Nord modular g1 , Roland integra , yamaha A5000 , kenton control freak , Senheisser k6/me66 , beyerdynamic dt880
by roland1 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 am
EXCELLENT. You've proven my point. There's a bug.

warddejager wroteIf your mouse pointer (arrow ) is selected and you select a note (so it's highlighted ) , when you then click it again in the midle it will take some time for the audition to happen , this happens over here bleep well , but it will always audition over here
Clicking on the side it becomes instantanious and clicking another note , audition is also instant

by warddejager on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:42 am
I wouldn't call that a bug
If I drag/move the ( highlighted ) note directly , the audition is instant .
The delay only occurs when a note is already selected and clicked in the middle
If I click on any other (non selected ) note , the audition is instant

by roland1 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:45 am
warddejager wroteI wouldn't call that a bug
If I drag/move the ( highlighted ) note directly , the audition is instant .
The delay only occurs when a note is already selected and clicked in the middle
If I click on any other (non selected ) note , the audition is instant

Okay, maybe not a bug, but perhaps a nervous tick. :D

33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2