21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I'm seeing a strange issue since I've been using V4. If I loop record 8 takes, for example, then start playing back the takes to choose the best one, after listening to 4 or 5 takes , the content of the next-selected take is shifted to the right by several seconds. This happens even if the take I select is one I played back before that originally played in the correct position. If I use undo to step back to the fist time I played the take. It plays as expected. This is extremely annoying considering the position of takes is critical.

Is anyone else seeing this? I think I'll have to contact support about this but I wanted to find out if others are seeing the same issue.

2015 iMac 27" i7 with 32GB RAM
Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by roland1 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm
I recorded some MIDI V-Drum takes today in 4.51 that were all shifted noticeably to the right—my meter is not THAT bad. That much I know. :)

I will have to investigate this further. My buffer was set high. So not really sure yet. I'll test again tomorrow.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Nip on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:18 am
guitarism wroteThis is extremely annoying considering the position of takes is critical.

You don't have to say that again - weirdest thing I read about.

If to replicate - can you provide more details what you did.

Any quantizing going on?
Settings - takes to layers, Replace?

a) midi or audio?
b) all takes as layers listed below track?
c) while on layers list below - they all line up - even with one on track?
d) but as you for the nth time is pushing the up arrow on a layer - on the track it suddenly is shifted right by seconds?
e) then shifting up another take - in the layers list, former on track it line up against the others again?
f) shifting takes while playing back?

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Nip on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:25 am
roland1 wroteI recorded some MIDI V-Drum takes today in 4.51 that were all shifted noticeably to the right—my meter is not THAT bad. That much I know. :)

I will have to investigate this further. My buffer was set high. So not really sure yet. I'll test again tomorrow.

I tested some with drums right now - and testing running audio engine of edrums as well as midi from edrums - and recording listening to AddictiveDrums audio from computer while recording..

They line up perfectly - midi and that audio from edrums.
Not that my playing is on the grid all the time - but gives indication.

It's one way to see if midi differ in some way - if to start using the record offset for either midi or audio..

Since AD2 also report 64 samples latency I tested with this ignore pdc setting(wrench on arrange view). I am to decide which route to take - with or without pdc while recording, I leans towards turning off pdc to get metronome click a little earlier.

Maybe you get some ideas what to try....

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 am
Also

Just wondering if it's a time based linear problem you're encountering.

Try right-clicking the timeline and select timebase = time-linear if it isn't already selected.

Another thing: make sure Ripple Edit is turned off (Cttl + Alt + R). You could be experiencing a shift due to that.

(Type error)
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by roland1 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:23 am
My situation may have to do with some settings I adjusted beforehand.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Jemusic on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:03 pm
Unable to reproduce here. I have both Mac and Windows setups so I did this on Mac as the OP is on a Mac. I am on 4.5 here.

I setup a mono audio track and fed in an audio signal from a synth. I set my buffers to 32 samples.
I set record Takes to Layers. I recorded 8 or so layers. All played back with perfect timing or the same timing I used playing in. Promoting any layer to the top position plays back fine for me. I also tried promoting the same take several times and it was still OK.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:56 pm
Ah, I missed 3.5.1. That counts out ripple edit.
I made a bunch of comps tonight with my Martin. No such shifting. I still have v3, on my laptop along with v2, but never saw shifting ever in all the usage.

Maybe the poster could capture that in a video. Other than that, it's up for notifying support.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by roland1 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:01 pm
The OP is using v4. His signature lists v3. That had me fooled. But he's clear that it's a v4 issue.

by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:54 pm
Got it. Thx for noting. Yes, see that now.

Anyhow no shift seen at anytime, ever.

Another thing I'll do when comping and it potentially could be of help is not comp right next to adjacent comps or events. I'll pull back the neighboring events of that track, then restore later. If I have to hear that track for example punching in or out, I'll start a new track to comp on. That helps isolate comps as well. By and large, there shouldn't be any shift issue, and I've just never come across it.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by guitarism on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:52 pm
Good questions.
Audio only
Recorded takes in a loop
Not as layers
Selecting take by right-clicking and selecting take number
The shift occurs even if the selected take is one that previously played back with the correct timing.
If I go back to the same take by using undo, it plays correctly.
This occurs without adjacent events with multiple takes.

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by Jemusic on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:28 pm
I am still not seeing this. I just tested recording takes in loop (not Takes to Layers) All takes play back perfectly in time for me.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Nip on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 pm
guitarism wroteGood questions.
Audio only
Recorded takes in a loop
Not as layers
Selecting take by right-clicking and selecting take number
The shift occurs even if the selected take is one that previously played back with the correct timing.
If I go back to the same take by using undo, it plays correctly.
This occurs without adjacent events with multiple takes.

I'm getting a flashback to running Cubase Elements once upon a time.
In Cubase they call it retrospective recording - meaning collecting data even while transport is stopped - before recording starts.

So even starting at bar 3 - I got data before start of timeline in this buffer.
Elements did not have take lanes so all was stacked upon each other on the track - so I dragged those clips over to a blank track.

At times doing this - if there were data before start of timeline - the clip was shifted into to track, so first data fit also. So I obviously had recorded data enough earlier before I started to record - too large a buffer for that.

In StudioOne there is a setting in Advanced settings - Audio - Pre-recording audio.

Do you have this activated?

Just an idea - I have not been able to repeat in StudioOne, since I turn off this kind of pre-recording stuff which created issues for me.

by Jemusic on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:28 am
This has nothing to do with Pre Record Audio Input. I just checked that option and did the test again. Got the same result. All takes are fine and in time. The only thing here is I captured what I played in the time set for Audio Pre Record before the first take.

by guitarism on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:29 am
I'm glad it's working for you but for me, this problem makes loop recording very hard to use. I've been using Studio one since 2012. This was introduced in v4.

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by roland1 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:47 am
Guitarism:

This morning I actually read through the entire list of fixes for 4.52. It's a long one.

Another way to interpret that information is to realize how much of Studio One was actually broken as a result of releasing 4.5 & 4.51 or earlier versions prior to these.

If your problem is repeatable (by you), then something else may be broken and just because someone else cannot recreate your issue doesn't mean it's not real or problematic to your workflow.

I've encountered a few situations like this where I was wondering if I was alone in experiencing a particular issue. You're not alone. The fixes list for 4.52 suggests that many people are contacting support without reporting their problems with S1 here on this forum, which leaves the rest of us in the dark about it—because the developers don't tell you what they're working to fix, do they...

Moreover, when you're experiencing an issue, it doesn't matter whether you report it right away or not because it's going to shut you down in mid workflow for weeks, or even months, as you wait for the next version.

I have yet to find a DAW that's got it all figured out. But I haven't stopped looking either.

guitarism wroteI'm glad it's working for you but for me, this problem makes loop recording very hard to use. I've been using Studio one since 2012. This was introduced in v4.

by guitarism on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:29 pm
This problem persists to this day. Still happening with v5.2. These are not subtle time shifts. Sometimes they are 20 seconds or more.

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by robertgray3 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:47 pm
guitarism wroteThis problem persists to this day. Still happening with v5.2. These are not subtle time shifts. Sometimes they are 20 seconds or more.

There's got to be something subtly different between your situation and others'. You'll probably need to show step by step instructions and a video to get this fixed. Flipping through your settings on the video wouldn't hurt. What are your Record Offset settings? Sample rate, precision, etc?

Also, this may sound odd, but are you using song templates in these songs? Some issues were intrduced during 4 that only applied to song templates created in particular versions. They were odd issues and I don’t think there was any real way to fix them aside from make new templates. Could be a red herring...

I've never seen this issue and I loop record very frequently using all the parameters you described. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means that something in your setup or process is not the same as mine. Probably not the same as a majority of users', otherwise it would have been noticed and fixed by now.

Just a random note that may be unrelated- I've seen audio interfaces misreport latency before and it can cause some strange problems. Can you see if your steps produce the same error on another interface?

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:01 pm
20 seconds sounds like an offset issue, or demonic possession.

I've had issues with timing, but 20 seconds seems a little odd. Can't imagine what setting would do that, unless the notes are being held in the buffer and then released WAY later. Like, tomorrow. :)

by robertgray3 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:59 pm
Could be a lot of things. Who knows. That’s why a video would help. There was an issue somewhere during 3.5 where, if I recall correctly, pre-roll would get added to each looped take on an Instrument track (not audio) if you used some combination of settings or actions. By the final loop it would be very very off. It’s been fixed since but maybe something like that is happening with audio.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2